DVDVR Message Board

2022 Movies Discussion Thread (v.2.0)

RIPPA

I always figured the consensus was that El Mariachi was a better film, but Desperado was an English language studio release that played on cable a ton so it was bound to be more mainstream. It’s kind of in the same brand identity quagmire that Mad Max and The Road Warrior went through for a time.

I watched the hell out of the two pack special edition DVD set I got circa 2000. Same with the From Dusk til Dawn/Full Tilt Boogie set. 

Edited by (BP)
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, JLSigman said:

The books Eragon was based on are very derivative and skirt the edge of pure plagiarism several times. How they managed to make the movie version even worse boggles the mind.

It was written by a fifteen year old. It reads like it was written by a fifteen year old.

• Like 3

Fair enough, I take it back!  It's possible the people I knew who had them also read them at 15!

Actually, I may be misremembering relevant parts of conversations.  It may have been more along the lines of, "Yeah, the first one sucked because a kid wrote it, but once he actually grew up and wrote like an adult, the books got better, too, so people who didn't stick with them never found that out."

You may still disagree with this!

Edited by Contentious C

El Mariachi > Desperado, but we can all agree that Once Upon a Time In Mexico is just stupid fun and hilarious, right?

From Dusk Til Dawn was the best ever use of George Clooney.  Seth Gecko may be one of the most quotable movie characters in anything committed to film.

"Psychos do not explode when sunlight hits 'em.  I don't give a fuck how crazy they are."

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 5

Clooney was awesome in Out of Sight, but I am biased to Dusk obviously. The Gecko Bros. need to show up in one of the Rodriguez (or Tarantino) pictures at some point, even as just walk-ons. 

All I can remember of Once Upon A Time In Mexico is Johnny Depp's fake arm really, and not liking it as much as Desperado or Dusk. El Mariachi to me felt like the too cheap version of Desperado because I saw Desperado first when I was a kid and was like "wait, he just remade that thing, and it isn't as good?"

...Salma Hayek might have had something to do with that opinion, I admit

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

All I can remember of Once Upon A Time In Mexico is Johnny Depp's fake arm really, and not liking it as much as Desperado or Dusk.

Depp's monologue on maintaining Mexico's geopolitical balance is brilliant.   It's pretty awesome that Depp improvised most of his dialogue in order to keep it clean.

Once Upon a Time in Mexico was not on the level of Desperado or From Dusk Til Dawn, but there was more to like than there was not to like about the movie. 

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

As a parallel to The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly where it’s a final installment of a shaggy dog franchise with a larger budget populated with actors who already died as different characters in the previous films it’s pretty cool. 

Edited by (BP)
  • Like 1

On 7/25/2022 at 11:26 AM, Curt McGirt said:

Clooney was awesome in Out of Sight, but I am biased to Dusk obviously. The Gecko Bros. need to show up in one of the Rodriguez (or Tarantino) pictures at some point, even as just walk-ons. 

All I can remember of Once Upon A Time In Mexico is Johnny Depp's fake arm really, and not liking it as much as Desperado or Dusk. El Mariachi to me felt like the too cheap version of Desperado because I saw Desperado first when I was a kid and was like "wait, he just remade that thing, and it isn't as good?"

...Salma Hayek might have had something to do with that opinion, I admit

On 7/25/2022 at 7:31 AM, J.T. said:

El Mariachi > Desperado, but we can all agree that Once Upon a Time In Mexico is just stupid fun and hilarious, right?

From Dusk Til Dawn was the best ever use of George Clooney.  Seth Gecko may be one of the most quotable movie characters in anything committed to film.

"Psychos do not explode when sunlight hits 'em.  I don't give a fuck how crazy they are."

I loved From Dusk Til Dawn but it's funny, I've met at least two people in my life who legit did not know what the movie was about and hated it for that reason.  Seriously, they thought they were watching an action/crime thriller and then the movie took an unexpected right turn into vampire country and they just couldn't deal. 

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Swift said:

I rewatched it recently and honestly kinda hate the turn it takes. Would much rather have seen how the crime drama played out naturally.

Aw.  The best part of the movie is when the survivors are confronted with the reality that they are fighting vampires and abandon all denial.

Seth's survival instinct is almost primal.  He does not let disbelief stand in the way of staying alive.  He accepts the fact that his enemies are supernatural and his thoughts immediately turn to coming up with the best methods to kill them.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

I wish I could've seen From Dusk Till Dawn without knowing the twist. Just, pop crime thriller and "what the fuck?"

I was lucky to see From Dusk Till Dawn without knowing the twist. Just as good was watching a second time with my Dad as he wasn't aware of the turn the film takes and seeing his reaction.

• Like 1

On 6/27/2022 at 6:22 PM, Curt McGirt said:

First off, has anyone seen Elvis yet? Second, I was just reading this review on the Ebert site of it (1 1/2 *) and cracked up at the following description

Bold is mine. Well, really, Luhrmann's.

On 7/2/2022 at 4:31 PM, The Natural said:

One of my best friends who worships Elvis and was concerned heading in loved it. Three other mural friends big into the Elvis really liked it also.

Said best friend has seen Elvis four or five times and asked yesterday if I'd (Suspicious) mind going with her. It's not something I'd watch at all but couldn't say no. You do what you do for family and friends. It's tonight. Already nervous for when she asks what I think not wanting to lie or wanting to upset her as she's an Elvis devotee. You do what you do for family and friends.

Edited by The Natural

35 minutes ago, J.T. said:

I will die on the Goldfinger, The Spy Who Love Me (Nobody Does It Better), or the Diamonds Are Forever hill.

Maybe even the A View To a Kill hill.

First two you mention are in my top five with Live and Let Die, Skyfall and You Know My Name.

Honourable mentions to No Time To Die, The Living Daylights, Goldeneye and The World Is Not Enough.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Worst James Bond theme by far is The Writing On The Wall and Die Another Day. Jesus Christ, I hate those fucking things like @Technico Support does Interstellar.

I like the movie Die Another Day as it's probably the last gasp of outlandish, fun Bond but yeah, the lyrics to the song are terrible and it's absolutely Madonna at her "let me leech on to this popular thing" worst. 

• Like 1