DVDVR Message Board

2022 Movies Discussion Thread (v.2.0)

RIPPA

36 minutes ago, J.H. said:

It was Bull Durham that really launched him wasn't it?
(not to speak ill of Howard The Duck)

James

Yeah. I just wanted to bring up Howard the Duck. I'm sure you have stories about how it was received in the Bullpen. 

Oh man I was at summer camp when Howard The Duck came out so way before my time at Marvel. I'm not gonna badmouth that movie but I ain't gonna praise it nine either. It was very much a "What the fuck did I just pay money to see?"

James

17 hours ago, J.H. said:

Decided to re-watch Top Gun (afer listening to the We Hate Movies podcast covering itfor the first time in like... geez... 2 decades?
It's a hitlist of great 80s actors and character actors. Ironside, Skerrit and Tolkan are always fuckin awesome and they cover for some of the weaker dialogue portions. Where the dialogue (and acting) fall short is made up for by Tony Scott nailing the action portions. This really was Tom Cruise first showing of his Tom Cruise star power and you forget shit like Tim Robbins was i nthis too in a minor role and he was like a year or two from blowing up himself.

It's still a fun wath and holds up and has me excited for Maverick

James

My son wants to be a pilot (he's 5, that'll change a million times) so he's been super-intrigued by the Maverick trailers he's seen on tv.  We watched the original last weekend, and he loved it.  Well, he loved the flying and all but wasn't happy about all of the "smooching".

I also hadn't seen it in probably 25+ years. I had always remembered Iceman being more villainous. He's really not. He's just like, "You're a great pilot, but you're too reckless, Maverick!" And Mav is all, "Nuh uh" and then his recklessness kills Goose.

Probably my favorite thing was just seeing actual planes flying.  No CGI, just shots of planes doing cool shit.  I don't know anything about the production of the new one, but I hope they keep the CGI minimal to none.

See, I always read Goose's death kind of being Iceman's fault because he was mocking Maverick while they both were trying to scope Viper and blowback caused Maverick's double burnout. Not that Maverick wasn't a fuckin reckless douche bag before that.

James

A Lawyer YouTuber I watch had a former JAG on and they discussed laws broken in Top Gun and Maverick would've lost his wings well before Goose died.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, J.H. said:

This really was Tom Cruise first showing of his Tom Cruise star power

Yeah.  Before Top Gun, he was a charismatic young actor with a promising future.  With Top Gun, he became a megastar of the highest order with a presence and charisma that just leaps off the screen.  

25 minutes ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

I saw Top Gun in the theater when it came out with my late cousin Brian Scott, who was an Air Force pilot. He spent the whole movie making fun of and shitting on it.  It's one of my favorite memories. 

He was just upset that navy pilots are cooler.

?

That's a cool memory though.

Edited by Tabe
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

The second Punisher is on right now and it still rules. The third one was on the other day and the end of that one REALLY rules. So, question is, was the Dolph one really really bad?

It's definitely not good, but it is enjoyable in that 80s Dolph Lundgren movie kind of way.

I think the parkour scene in War Zone is the hardest I've ever laughed at a movie.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

So goddamned good.  What made it even better the first time was that my friend and I were bitching about how every action movie had an obligatory parkour scene now and then that guy got exploded and we fell out.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, J.H. said:

Oh man I was at summer camp when Howard The Duck came out so way before my time at Marvel. I'm not gonna badmouth that movie but I ain't gonna praise it nine either. It was very much a "What the fuck did I just pay money to see?"

80's Lea Thompson.

Which is always worth paying money to see.

And she legit sings "Hunger City" with Thomas Dolby's band and it's awesome.

Also awesome: Dolph Lundgren's Punisher.

• Like 1

I only remember three things about Lundgren's Punisher:

• They didn't use the skull logo but they sort of cut Dolph's stubble so his face resembled one.
  • There was a cheesy, cheap montage where he just shoots his gun left and right against a green screen while scenes play out.
  • I think Lou Gossett was in it.

It's funny I remember so little, because my high school friend and drinking buddy worked at a Blockbuster and brought that fucker for hangouts like every other weekend so I've seen it in full or in part a lot.

Edited by Technico Support

59 minutes ago, Contentious C said:

Hey, if you want to spend even more time on movies, like apparently I do, you can check out framed.wtf - not linking because I suppose the board doesn't know that's a working one - and play Wordle with movie photos!

Today notwithstanding, there are way too many modern movies used. The other day, it was even a film I didn't even know.