DVDVR Message Board

2022 Movies Discussion Thread (v.2.0)

RIPPA

On 4/18/2022 at 11:35 PM, Curt McGirt said:

And I have never seen all of Port of Call New Orleans. The idea of doing another Bad Lieutenant was so offensive to me that I only saw part of the end on TV and the clips that of course showed up later. I want to see it so, so bad nowadays though. Really, WTF was wrong with me? I already loved Herzog from My Best Fiend and the subsequent viewing of Aguirre. I already loved Cage from Wild At Heart. It's peanut butter and chocolate. 

You should rectify that! Amazing cast: Cage, Eva Mendes, Val Kilmer, Fairuza Balk, Xzibit, Jennifer Coolidge, Brad Dourif, Michael Shannon, Shea Wigham and Irma P. Hall. But it's Cage's show, even though he basically publically disowned the movie, just completely unhinged. Hmm, I think I might have to rewatch it tonight...

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Hey @S.K.o.S. - I tried to PM you but it says you can't receive messages (your inbox might be full)

Were you planning on running a Summer Blockbuster poll this year?

No. I'm considering this year as "prove to me that we're back to normal". I'd run it next year if we get through this summer without obvious weirdness in the box office numbers.

The Northman is the drizzling shits. 

Spoiler

So Robert Eggers and crew got together and said "What if we made Conan except less blood, more slavery, and not fun at all? And Conan DIES at the end! Oh yeah!" *snorts line*

I did get a good laugh out of the Scottish (I guess? EVERYONE JUST HAD AN ACCENT ALL OF THE SUDDEN) slavers mocking the crucifixion but that's about it. 

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Reveal hidden contents

So Robert Eggers and crew got together and said "What if we made Conan except less blood, more slavery, and not fun at all? And Conan DIES at the end! Oh yeah!" *snorts line*

I did get a good laugh out of the Scottish (I guess? EVERYONE JUST HAD AN ACCENT ALL OF THE SUDDEN) slavers mocking the crucifixion but that's about it. 

You just saved me fifteen bucks.  We will be friends forever.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

If anybody sees The Northman this weekend just please answer this question… Is it just another The Revenant? I’ll skip it if it’s just that.

9 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Reveal hidden contents

• Sad 1

It really was a miscalculation. If they went full OTT with it and made it like the Dead Alive of viking movies, and had Willem Dafoe do more than one scene and a walk-on as a severed head, and had Bjork do, like, anything... well, let's just say it was disappointing. 

Also, if you go to the movies and you are one of the only people there do not try and engage me just because I sat down five seats away from you. That did make me change seats to the very back of the theater though and I think that might be the perfect way to watch a movie, always thought the middle was the best but that wall seat was nice. 

• Like 1

Back row has always been my preference, but I did have to sit in the middle row recently and it actually wasn't so bad. One of the advantages was that I was the furthest forward so didn't have to see random idiots taking out their phones during the movie.

I've been taking advantage of matinee shows lately since theatres fully opened and so there's usually only 10-15 people at most, and like you I don't really want anyone engaging with me, so it was annoying when I went to watch the Wes Anderson movie a few months ago. I was the only person in the theatre, sitting back row in the centre, when another guy comes in and sits in the row in front of me, about two seats to the right. It felt so awkward. Like seriously dude, we're both gonna sit alone in a theatre but far too close to each other for a comedic movie, letting out little chuckles for the next two hours? Thankfully after about 10 minutes of this, some other people started filing in and it then wasn't so bad. Almost as bad as the mythic urinal guys.

23 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Reveal hidden contents

I was worried about this. I loved The VVitch but was not crazy about The Lighthouse. It seems like Eggers is taking a hard turn away from subtle story-telling and towards SYMBOLISM~! of the heavy-handed variety.

Also everyone keeps referencing Conan but I got way more of a "proactive Hamlet" vibe from the trailers...

5 hours ago, The Comedian said:

I was worried about this. I loved The VVitch but was not crazy about The Lighthouse. It seems like Eggers is taking a hard turn away from subtle story-telling and towards SYMBOLISM~! of the heavy-handed variety.

Also everyone keeps referencing Conan but I got way more of a "proactive Hamlet" vibe from the trailers...

Amy Richardson on the Unspooled pod yesterday called it " Hamlet Conan." 

I've always been an aisle guy myself and tend to go in for matinees due to them being more empty. When I went to see X recently however I was treated to something never experienced before: A completely empty theater. I came in early and nobody else walked in, so I just kicked back and laughed. 

To avoid sounding like a total troll under the bridge, I have been to packed theaters and enjoyed myself. Seeing Scream on opening night, watching Get Out, Dead Alive in a packed theater was hilarious, Straight Outta Compton with a theater full of high school kids who had never heard "No Vaseline" before. That was a treat. A theater of college kids getting whacked upside the head by Night of the Living Dead was awesome. They started as the same heels that didn't like The Exorcist in the very same theater but they got shut up real quick. A quote from the end by some surely blond, blue-eyed future Karen: "That was actually really scary" in the whiniest voice possible.

13 hours ago, christopher.annino said:

1-2 rows down from back, aisle seats. Assigned seating is the greatest modern marvel of the American cinema. 

That and recliner seats. Don't know how we ever lived without them.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

I've always been an aisle guy myself and tend to go in for matinees due to them being more empty. When I went to see X recently however I was treated to something never experienced before: A completely empty theater. I came in early and nobody else walked in, so I just kicked back and laughed. 

I've only experienced this once - opening weekend, 7 pm showing of "Spice World". Just me, my wife, and our friend as the only people in the theater. 

We had this deal where we went to the movies together every weekend. And we rotated amongst ourselves who got to pick the movie we saw - and the other two couldn't argue with the selection. The weekend we saw "Spice World" it was the only movie we hadn't already seen so we were kinda stuck, lol. It was terrible but we had a great time anyway. 

I've had a handful of empty theaters-usually midweek matinee of art/limited release pictures.

My preferred seat these days is back row in the middle, basically right under the projector. 

If not, then aisle seats. 

• Like 3

I had an "empty theater" experience in 2019, watching "The Spy Behind Home Plate" (the documentary on Moe Berg) at a theater in Central Florida. Before that, my girlfriend at the time and myself had the whole cinema to ourselves for a screening of "Just Visiting" -- the U.S. version of the French comedy "Les Visiteurs."

Took my daughter this afternoon to see "The Bad Guys." It was essentially the Ocean's movies combined with Looney Tunes. It had its moments but, after a few hours, you forget most of it. One highlight -- hearing Sam Rockwell changing his impersonation from George Clooney to Owen Wilson to "generic leading man #30" and back throughout the movie.

We took the kids to see Sonic 2. Can’t really critique it. Missed the first ten minutes, then fifty minutes in the 3-year-old announced, “Let’s go finish the movie at home,” then calmly got up and walked out of the theater and wouldn’t go back in. So I sat out in the lobby with him while my wife and daughter finished the movie. I forget that everything being streamed straight to our house is the only life the dude’s ever known. 

• Haha 2

Upper back in the middle.  I am tall so I need leg room.  I also like look directly at the movie screen instead of craning my neck.

Assigned movie seats and recliners are blessings from God.

• Like 4

On 4/22/2022 at 3:37 PM, Curt McGirt said:

It really was a miscalculation. If they went full OTT with it and made it like the Dead Alive of viking movies, and had Willem Dafoe do more than one scene and a walk-on as a severed head, and had Bjork do, like, anything... well, let's just say it was disappointing. 

Also, if you go to the movies and you are one of the only people there do not try and engage me just because I sat down five seats away from you. That did make me change seats to the very back of the theater though and I think that might be the perfect way to watch a movie, always thought the middle was the best but that wall seat was nice. 

For a while, I'd be on the aisle seats where the entrance/exit doors are but going back years, back row.