DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - TBS Premier Episode - 01/05/2022

1 minute ago, The Natural said:

I also like how the blood loss of both Adam Page and an even bloodied Bryan Danielson contributed to the match going shorter.

And how Danielson had less energy. Excalibur or Tony did a great job highlighting how he didn't have the energy to skin the cat when he did it near the end of the time limit draw. 

One thing I would've liked  was a bit more selling from Danielson after the deadeye on the floor. Felt he got the upper hand way too quickly after that. 

• Like 8

9 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Jericho is such a lame babyface promo.  I feel for those 2 point O guys having to sell being called 'pin head, square head' like they're offended.  So lame.  

I liked it. 2point0 sold it in an entertainingly goofy way. Made me think of this:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I buy Jade as a superstar but the company failed to get her adequately ready with all those silly Dark squashes.  Clearly there's been an effort to protect her as a monster, but where is the ring time coming from for her to reach any sort of potential.  As rough as she was tonight she's doing as well as anybody would at her experience level.  The good news is, now that the tournament is over they can have her on open challenge duty squashing hometown schmoe-hawks.  But again how does she get better in this scenario?

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 4

14 hours ago, For Great Justice said:

Wonder if the lights going out for the second during the main is a tease of something to come. I mean, I’m sure it is, and I’m excited to see what’s up with that. Between that and Chekhov’s Judges we had a little subtlety tonight, which I dug 

He basically said this one his Insta. "The color will reveal the hidden. Wednesday two with a third to come."

Two blackouts tonight. Third = Brody King.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

I looked at my watch at 8:50 as they we wrapping up the Punk-MJF segment and said to myself, main that could be the best 2 segment hour of pro wrestling I have seen on TV in a long long time. Punk getting the DQ was perfect way to get into MJF. Hangman-Danielson - I was shocked with the double juice, and Danielson was gushing. Great match and it totally helps Hangman. 

and then the next hour well. Jade got lost a couple of times frankly. There was one spot towards the end that was rather painfully awkward. Fenix - he could just not stay well and that injury looks bad. As soon as I saw it, my first reaction was not good. I called a title switch (9mainly as Lucha has just not been able to perform all that often). I liked the teams all coming out at the end as it shows the absolute death. I hope JE gets a decent run, but FTR needs a run. 

• Like 2

Great world title match. Going into the show I really thought there would be some shenanigans with one of the judges to set up Page’s next program for the ppv but knew that wasn’t happening when I saw who the judges were.

It seemed like it was hard for the show to pick up after that match though.

Jericho is doing WWE promo segments. I don’t watch WWE and don’t want to see it in AEW. If that’s what Jericho wants to do I don’t begrudge him for it but I just hopes he either takes it back to WWE or figures out how to do something different. 

Glad Jungle Boy finally won the big one and is a champion. I didn’t notice Fenix’s injury, even on the replay I was distracted by Luchasauras who landed awkwardly and it looked like the table broke into his midsection, so didn’t even look at Fenix. Crazy, I hope it looked worse than it actually is.

The lights going out and coming back on during the match to reveal nothing was weird and kind of stupid.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, John E. Dynamite said:

Rey Fenix having a horrific injury on live TV was a matter of when, not if. But oh my God why did they have to replay it twice.

I stupidly went back to see what I had missed, and now I regret it. And here I was thinking that it was Luchasaurus who might have broken an arm.

2 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

I buy Jade as a superstar but the company failed to get her adequately ready with all those silly Dark squashes.  Clearly there's been an effort to protect her as a monster, but where is the ring time coming from for her to reach any sort of potential.  As rough as she was tonight she's doing as well as anybody would at her experience level.  The good news is, now that the tournament is over they can have her on open challenge duty squashing hometown schmoe-hawks.  But again how does she get better in this scenario?

The mistake was having Ruby as her opponent instead of Hayter, Riho or Deeb who are the absolute best and could carry her to a great match like Riho-Rose.

• Like 6

Everyone talking about Christian possibly turning on JB.

I'd like them to tie it into the House of Black if they can. Get Malakai to corrupt the 'good' Christian and Jungle Boy has to take him out. Maybe with a con-chair-to.

Then JE go after Black/King and have to put the tag belts up along the way.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Jiji said:

I don't think they'd have the entire tag division ready to go out to the ramp had the titles not changed hands plus it seemed like nobody fuckin' knew what was going on with Fenix until later on. Maybe that ending was improvised but I don't think the outcome was.

I'm not seeing it with Ruby. She's fine but not particularly good in the ring. Jade's not an easy assignment but I haven't seen a performance from Soho that has really won me over at all so far. 

I like Ruby but she can look awkward at times and stutter steps a lot. She also clearly was not going to be able to carry Jade, which led to a lot of botches and weirdness. In retrospect, the Jade/Rosa match should have been the final, with the interference and all.

Maybe it was part of the plan, but a lot of matches had what looked to be botched spots with the ropes.

Holy fuck, Fenix's arm feels like it put a huge damper on what was a fantastic night that was kicked off by an even better Page vs Dragon match. 

Man, I can't stop thinking about how bad he's fucked. 

• Sad 4

I liked that Danielson vs PAge even had a callback to Daniel Bryan's NXT debut (vs Jericho) with the tope turned into being slammed into the railing.

• Like 4

Also, the callout that it was always a matter of when, not if, Fenix would really hurt himself got it totally right. Every time Fenix wrestles I worry for the worst. Sucks that it was tonight of all nights. 

That AmDrag vs Hangman match though. Inject that shit into my veins. I give it all the stars. 

35 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Rampage spoiler:

Reveal hidden contents

Bryan Alvarez is saying Jake Atlas has suffered a knee injury. Bad night for AEW with Rey Fenix and now Atlas.

I was afraid that was the case because the finish was clearly messed up because he couldn't get into position and they had to improvise.

World title match was amazing, like everyone said. A bloodbath where I was never certain who was going to win until it happened. I thought Page gigged himself good and then Danielson had to one up him. Bunny is shaking her head at their attempts, however.

The MJF-Punk thing had some moments, and the DQ loss was a nice touch, but it was still too much yapping and this is dragging on too long for me.

Jericho was hilarious...ly corny on the mic but the Steven Segal dye job was funny as shit.

Did JLowe FFWD through Wardlow again. Yes, yes I did.

Once they showed Jade’s daughter, I knew who was going to win. Some good moments in the match but mostly sloppy and awkward with more than one instance of total miscommunication on what the move sequence was, Jade standing around badly lost once, and multiple rope slips, including what would have been an impressive finisher.

Malakai-Pillman was ok, maybe the best I’ve seen Pillman look. Weird ending though with LB.

Tag title match was off for me. As someone who is a recent viewer, I don’t have the long term investment in Jungle Boy and I just don’t see him as anything particularly special. Luchasaurus is limited and it’s getting boring to watch. Lucha Brothers had some good spots but were also a little sloppy. What the hell was the point of the lights out spot, it had CERO EFFECTO on the match. JB kicking out of Made in Japan and their double team finisher was BAD. The table spot was rough and obviously had horrible consequences. I guess the crowd is happy and you’re rewarding a popular homegrown star. Honestly, all of the tag teams coming out to state was fine with me because I was thinking that at least 4 of them have legitimately been better than Jurassic Express in recent months and they’re theoretically licking their chops for a title shot.

Overall, the second hour was rough but that title match was everything pro wrestling can be.

Edited by JLowe
  • Like 1

Fuck that was a great match. I'm still not 100% sold on Wangman (probably because he's too pretty and flies high too much for my taste in a big guy) but the tights that looked like he had chaps on were choice -- and beyond that, well, he was fuckin' great here. Excellent and realistic reversals and avoidances before they just decided on brain trauma. Danielson doing the Troma Twitch on the outside after getting his head dropped on Page's ankle was a chef's kiss. And the blood, well, let's just say if someone can make a Best and Bloodiest of AEW comp with all the FITE versions of the matches I will pay you for it. Excellent story told by excellent wrestlers. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Matt D said:

I’ll catch this tomorrow, but you’re telling me Judge Henry didn’t have a salmon jacket and post match mauling? 

No, but

Spoiler

Dragon did laugh at Jerry Lynn after hitting the cradle piledriver.

Edited by Dog
  • Like 3