DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - TBS Premier Episode - 01/05/2022

In terms of mainstream crossover potential this might mean something and it might not, but we got a puppy at the start of the week and after an evening of bombing around the living room and fidgeting wildly in my wife's lap, he momentarily stopped and paid rapt attention to the entirety of Wardlow's powerbomb symphony ?

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

6 hours ago, The Natural said:

Dave Meltzer:

Page vs. Danielson: 4.75.

Lucha Brothers vs. Jurassic Express: 4.25.

I'd go ***** for Page vs. Danielson and I didn't like Lucha Brothers vs. Jurassic Express at all. The latter might be an unpopular opinion. Felt like the timing of both was off at times, Lucha Brothers reign as AEW World Tag Team Champions was a letdown and the wrong team ended it. #FTR should have. My second choice, Santana and Ortiz.

I will never understand how Page vs. Danielson II isn't the full five stars.... same feeling i had about Metlzer's rating of Britt Baker vs. Thunder Rosa Lights Out match last year. And yet things like the 6 man and Page vs. Omega at Full Gear 2021 get five stars or five stars plus... I guess it's true that the Bucks and Omega add extra stars...

• Like 2

7 hours ago, The Natural said:

Dave Meltzer:

Page vs. Danielson: 4.75.

Lucha Brothers vs. Jurassic Express: 4.25.

I'd go ***** for Page vs. Danielson and I didn't like Lucha Brothers vs. Jurassic Express at all. The latter might be an unpopular opinion. Felt like the timing of both was off at times, Lucha Brothers reign as AEW World Tag Team Champions was a letdown and the wrong team ended it. #FTR should have. My second choice, Santana and Ortiz.

I could not agree more. The spot where they we are all holding hands - it was cute, right out of CMLL's greatest hits but it made me just lose interest. Getting the belts on JE is the right thing if it only means FTR gets them soon. 

I enjoyed Page vs Danielson a ton; it reminded for a early 80s Harley Race title match.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Firebreaker Chip said:

In terms of mainstream crossover potential this might mean something and it might not, but we got a puppy at the start of the week and after an evening of bombing around the living room and fidgeting wildly in my wife's lap, he momentarily stopped and paid rapt attention to the entirety of Wardlow's powerbomb symphony ?

Every Wednesday, our kitten curls up in my lap for Dynamite.  We could be on to something here.  AEW could tap into that coveted pet demo.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Log said:

Every Wednesday, our kitten curls up in my lap for Dynamite.  We could be on to something here.  AEW could tap into that coveted pet demo.

Scrooge, Mitchum, Robert

Do you know how many cats there are in America, Frank?

• Haha 4

8 minutes ago, Nineteen said:

My cat's name is Hobbes so if Powerhouse Hobbs is wrestling and the commentators call his name, sometimes my little guy pick his head up a little.

One of my cats is Ruby, she is named after the Shiner Ruby Redbird beer, not the Rancid song although Ruby Soho is one of her nicknames. I haven't noticed her perk-up when she hears her name on TV but she is usually curled up on my lap when I'm watching AEW.

• Like 4

I don't know how someone could even say those matches are close. Page - Danielson was as close to prefection as you can get, while the other felt like mess. Also I don't think Dave M getting everyone obcessed with star rating has been good for wrestling. Instead of "did a match work for its intended purpose" its feels like it contributes to people just trying to get shit in

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Fenix’s injury looked nasty as hell. I dug the show over all. Page-Danielson was awesome. Did Jericho dye his hair right before he went out there. Holy shot that was bowling shoe ugly as JR would say.

17 hours ago, zendragon said:

Also I don't think Dave M getting everyone obcessed with star rating has been good for wrestling. Instead of "did a match work for its intended purpose" its feels like it contributes to people just trying to get shit in

Yeah totally, have long felt like the kind of "three star ten minute match that does the exact job it was meant to on the card" is way more of a lost art than the actual five star epic. I'd rather watch a relatively average-for-them Austin vs Steamboat match from a minor show in 1992 than one of those very good but forgettable 20 minute six man matches they were having every week on Raw a few years ago that got 4+ stars from Meltz.

Peak NXT was good for this too on the undercard matches, I remember liking Dijak and Lee wrestling each other to a double countout that showed they could be spectacular together in future without giving too much away on the day

• Like 4

On 1/7/2022 at 11:34 AM, Firebreaker Chip said:

Awww! That's a good boi. 

Me and Boris, who's a boxer, watch a lot of wrasslin' and basketball together. 

13 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Why not work Marko Stunt as a ref? Maybe this is the spot he’s been needed in, if you think he makes your roster look bad by wrestling him.

Just throwing a guy out there as a ref is kind of diminishing how important good refs are. It's a real skill set that takes time to be good at. And no this isn't a setup for a punchline about how AEW uses it's refs. Maybe he could become good in time. But he would ruin so many matches by just being thrown out there as a ref without the proper knowledge & experience. It's a lot more evident on the indys than it is national promotions, but an untrained / green ref can straight up ruin even the best of matches.

You also want refs to be the straight man. Throwing a character out there that does the floss dance and has long crazy hair and all that history defeats the purpose. The ref is supposed to be invisible until it's time for them to take a bump or get tricked by the heel or throw someone out. Marko has too much tv investment to really allow him to ever be invisible.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Firebreaker Chip said:

Yeah totally, have long felt like the kind of "three star ten minute match that does the exact job it was meant to on the card" is way more of a lost art than the actual five star epic. I'd rather watch a relatively average-for-them Austin vs Steamboat match from a minor show in 1992 than one of those very good but forgettable 20 minute six man matches they were having every week on Raw a few years ago that got 4+ stars from Meltz.

Peak NXT was good for this too on the undercard matches, I remember liking Dijak and Lee wrestling each other to a double countout that showed they could be spectacular together in future without giving too much away on the day

I feel like the best recent example of this is Jericho Gage. Was it Flair Steamboat going an hour? no. But it fit the narritive of MJF sending a murderious psychopath after his hated rival.

• Like 2

On 1/7/2022 at 7:10 PM, keith_h said:

I will never understand how Page vs. Danielson II isn't the full five stars.... same feeling i had about Metlzer's rating of Britt Baker vs. Thunder Rosa Lights Out match last year. And yet things like the 6 man and Page vs. Omega at Full Gear 2021 get five stars or five stars plus... I guess it's true that the Bucks and Omega add extra stars...

Neither can I. I gave both Adam Page vs. Bryan Danielson II and Thunder Rosa vs. Dr Britt Baker *****. Giving that six man at Full Gear between Christian Cage/Jurassic Express vs. Young Bucks/Adam Cole is a fucking joke as is going over *****.

On 1/7/2022 at 7:23 PM, chriskbrown50 said:

I could not agree more. The spot where they we are all holding hands - it was cute, right out of CMLL's greatest hits but it made me just lose interest. Getting the belts on JE is the right thing if it only means FTR gets them soon. 

I enjoyed Page vs Danielson a ton; it reminded for a early 80s Harley Race title match.  

Thanks for agreeing with me. Glad I'm not the only one.

On 1/7/2022 at 11:11 PM, zendragon said:

I don't know how someone could even say those matches are close. Page - Danielson was as close to prefection as you can get, while the other felt like mess. Also I don't think Dave M getting everyone obcessed with star rating has been good for wrestling. Instead of "did a match work for its intended purpose" its feels like it contributes to people just trying to get shit in

Agreed.

• Like 1

Agree that Hangman/Danielson II not getting five stars is not Meltzer's best work and 4+ stars for Lucha Brothers-JE is way too generous (overall thought that match was decent and ultimately served its purpose of cementing Jungle Boy/JE as title worthy, but something like 3 1/2 stars). However, I loved the six man tag from Full Gear 2021 and have no issue giving that five stars (but I love crazy spotfests as long as there is a hair of cohesion).

• Like 2

Spent the weekend watching Adam Page vs. Bryan Danielson I from AEW Winter is Coming Dynamite, 15th December 2021 and Adam Page vs. Bryan Danielson II at AEW Dynamite, 5th January 2022.

Adam Page vs. Bryan Danielson I. *****.

I liked how varied Bryan Danielson's attacks were from ripping the body to the arm work and the cut forehead. I enjoyed the work on the torso, it's something few wrestlers do. The punches while Hangman was tied up in the ropes. I loved how Bryan was selling the leg while doing Jumping Jacks as that's what Dickhead Danielson the character would do even with the injured limb. Danielson was on offense for most of the match also which suited me. The match went to a 60 minute draw and flew by.

Adam Page vs. Bryan Danielson II. *****.

This match benefited from callbacks to the first. The knee from the apron caught into a Deadeye on the outside and Bryan Danielson hitting the running knee this time but Page kicked out. The blood loss of both contributing to fatigue and the match wouldn't go the full hour again as a result. This match had more intensity but needed to go ten more minutes at least and I thought that even before what was to follow. Hardly liked any of the rest and I REALLY didn't take to Lucha Brothers vs. Jurassic Express. Thought that sucked.

Best match?

Unpopular opinion but I'm marginally in favour of Page vs. Danielson I. When I rank and rate matches, I give bonus marks for making something stand out and here it's the match length going 60 minutes. First TV match in years to do so and AEW's longest ever. It was historic but for the right reasons and not the wrong ones. Some 45-60 minutes matches go quick while others feel even longer than their actual running time. This was the former.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 3

Guest Jimbo_Tsuruta
29 minutes ago, The Natural said:

What are the best 60 minute matches? Samoa Joe vs. CM Punk from ROH in June 2004 and October 2004 come straight to mind with the aforementioned Adam Page vs. Bryan Danielson broadway.

Hennig v Bockwinkel 11/21/86

Inoki v Fujinami 8/8/88

Edited by Jimbo_Tsuruta

3 minutes ago, Jimbo_Tsuruta said:

Hennig v Bockwinkel 11/21/86

Inoki v Fujinami 8/8/88

Cheers mate. Former is one I've never got round to seeing even though I want to. I need to see more Nick Bockwinkel.

Edited by The Natural

34 minutes ago, The Natural said:

What are the best 60 minute matches? Samoa Joe vs. CM Punk from ROH in June 2004 and October 2004 come straight to mind with the aforementioned Adam Page vs. Bryan Danielson broadway.

I'll go Meltzer here with Omega/Okada at Dominion 2017 with the draw, and then the 2 out of 3 falls match the following Dominion that went 60+.