DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - TBS Premier Episode - 01/05/2022

I don't have anything to add to the praise for Hangman/Dragon.  Just great stuff.  Even had my 4-year-old riveted.

I agree with the folks saying that the rest of the show was a bit "off".  They still have a pacing issue with the production of their shows.  Too many times, there's a moment, and Excalibur is tossing to the next segment.  Jade's post-match was one of these times.  They're showing her little girl cheering, etc. and they're quickly on to the next thing.  It's really a "feel" thing with that.  I think it'll come with time.  There's no set, "you need to hang around xx seconds after this or yy seconds after that" formula.  You just have to know.

• Like 7

They almost never hold on to celebrations too long unless it’s the last match of the show and it annoys me. I could do with an extra 30sec of Hangman and Jade celebrating and taking in the moment than watching a full CM Punk entrance every show.

Those are some of the most earned moments to close good storylines as a fan.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Watching Jade vs Ruby now. I did feel for JR here.

"One thing about Jade is that once she gets in control, she doesn't take risks. She doesn't live and die on the top rope."

Jade immediately goes to the top and hits a sledge.

She immediately goes back up and gets armdragged off.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Now imagine if they had Hook on. That's easily another 500k viewers.

For real though...If they keep doing what they're doing with Hook, I could see him being a Goldberg-level attraction before he got derailed by bullshit in WCW. I forget what podcast I was listening to, but it was totally unrelated to wrestling. And out of the blue the people on the podcast are comparing something to Hook for how cool it is. No talk of AEW, no talk of any other wrestlers, they only referred to Hook. It was a little bit of a "holy shit" moment where it seems like Hook is breaking through pop culture barriers.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jiji said:

Didn't the ratings start to drop when they went live on the west coast and it has been an uphill battle to hit 1 million since? 

I now that once they went live on the west coast I barely watched Dynamite. I get home from work around the time the show ends on a live feed. It absolutely sucked.

BTW, this came up before regarding how much money AEW and WWE stand to make with new TV deals, but the NHL game that now occupies Dynamite's timeslot on TNT pulled in 620k viewers and had half the demo and Turner is paying the NHL over $200 million!!! I'm not saying AEW stands to make that much when it comes time to re-up, nor will they pull in the billion or so WWE is pulling in, but it's going to be a lot.

• Like 7

19 hours ago, just drew said:

Oh yeah. I was pissed there was no reveal for Malakai Black, but the tease at the end of the show lets me know he'll have a t least a tag partner soon, if not a full stable.

I think the "Malaki Black could find a partner" was an extremely subtle forshadow of them bringing in Brody King.

Not much to add to whats been said. Great opener, enjoyed MJF/Punk, Wardlow and Malakia vs Pillman. Main event was a mess of a match. What happened to the Lucha Brothers since Lucha Underground?

I like Jade but a big part of me wishes she was getting a chance to work these matches with Ruby and Rosa on a house show loop before putting them on TV WWE style.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, christopher.annino said:

I live on the east coast but am on yet another road trip for work, stayed in Wyoming last night, mountain time zone. Searching online gave me very little information regarding when the show was going to air on TBS, but eventually I found out that it was taped delayed. That was a bummer because I wanted to watch live and I was exhausted, so instead I went to bed and watched this morning recorded. 

Okay show overall with a great start, I love Hangman getting the definitive win. One thing with the current roster, they have a lot of people who just don't seem to take to pro wrestling naturally. Luchasaurus, Pillman Jr, Jade Cargill, I know two of the three are very green but man, I'm never too stoked to see them in the ring and especially now with Jade taking the new title. I will forever give people opportunities to get better, because I look at how far Britt Baker came into the short span of time. 

That said, I really think that Penta and Fenix just do not gel with anybody else besides the Bucks, and have gone from really loving watching them to seeing the same shit over and over again. 

Ugh, I hate harping on the negatives but the show did not really grab me tonight, or rather this morning.

Luchasaurus and Pillman Jr have been around long enough that I don't consider them green, just mediocre.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

TBS is a more basic channel than TNT on most cable packages due to the NBA premium and as such is in more homes and has typically tamer prime time fare.  I was NOT expecting such a blood bath in the first match on the channel.  Holy Christ.  Guess that answered my question if they'd still be doing blood on Dynamite at all.....

I was also surprised at all the swearing.  Seemed like if not more it was at least as much as they'd do on TNT.  Tony even threw in a 'bullshit' and the commentators don't cuss often

Tony was noticeably off his game after the opener, he doesn't typically flub that much.  Ruby did the Saito suplex and JR started talking about how he and Tony had seen Masa Saito throw a few of those back in the day.  Then seconds later Tony is talking about "the Saito moonsault" ?

I didn't like opening the show with the title match again.  I understand why they did it, but I'd prefer they did the "standby match" deal so they can still tease going the distance.  It absolutely killed the rest of the show.  I didn't think the crowd was great to begin with, but after that match it was D-E-A-D for almost everything.  Easily the worst crowd in AEW history in the second hour, I'd like to hear from some people who were in the building.  I felt really bad for the guys in the main event who were busting their asses to have a good match to almost no reaction

I hated having Lucha Bros come out to save Pillman right before the main event, thus killing their usually huge entrance pop.  That's booking 101 shit there

I thought Ruby did as well as she could with Jade.  Is she hurt or not?  Because she did a hell of a job selling that wing.  She's a great sympathetic babyface, they could do worse than a few months of matches where Jade is just tossing her around.  Plays to both their strengths, and they can definitely have better matches than this the more they wrestle

• Like 3

I don't get all the hate for Jericho. He still gets great reactions from the crowds, he can still put on a passable match and he isn't even remotely near the world title/main event picture any more.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, BrianS81177 said:

I don't get all the hate for Jericho. He still gets great reactions from the crowds, he can still put on a passable match and he isn't even remotely near the world title/main event picture any more.

Yeah I don't mind, plus most of the current roster probably idolized him growing up so they must love working with him.

As promised on the main discussion thread, I just picked up AEW+ on FITE.tv app for a year. I'll try to get around to watching this show this evening. Also, I want to see all of the PAC vs Andrade matches as soon as possible.

• Like 5

58 minutes ago, Shartnado said:

As promised on the main discussion thread, I just picked up AEW+ on FITE.tv app for a year. I'll try to get around to watching this show this evening. Also, I want to see all of the PAC vs Andrade matches as soon as possible.

Nice one. Hope this helps:

Cheers!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dave Meltzer:

Page vs. Danielson: 4.75.

Lucha Brothers vs. Jurassic Express: 4.25.

I'd go ***** for Page vs. Danielson and I didn't like Lucha Brothers vs. Jurassic Express at all. The latter might be an unpopular opinion. Felt like the timing of both was off at times, Lucha Brothers reign as AEW World Tag Team Champions was a letdown and the wrong team ended it. #FTR should have. My second choice, Santana and Ortiz.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1