DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - TBS Premier Episode - 01/05/2022

4 minutes ago, Pete said:

I doubt any of them would be patient enough or have sufficient resources to stay on the shelf for 12-18 months.

TJS is 12-18 months if you’re pitching. Ohtani had TJS in October 2018 and was back playing games as a DH by May 2019.

Flair tearing his rotator cuff and eventually getting surgery that took him out for 6 months comes to mind but for all know, Flair worked with that for a long time before finally getting surgery. So a wrestler would probably need to completely wreck their UC ligament before agreeing to do something drastic to repair it.

Other than the Fenix injury and the Jericho segment, that was a pretty stellar hour of pro wres.

The world title match was *chef's kiss*. Really interested to see where Hangman and Dragon go next. 

Love where Punk/MJF is going.  But I feel like next week is going to be more of a key moment in the Wardlow story than in Punk/MJF's, if that makes sense.

I agree what @JLowesaid earlier. Ruby/Jade should have been a semi, and Ruby's failure and the subsequent bullying from Britt would've been more biting. And Mercedes costing Rosa the finals would've made their issue even more heated.

Super pumped for the upcoming addition(s) to the House of Black. And I'd say something about making Julia Hart a next generation Fallen Angel but I don't want to be told to settle down lol

Hope the ratings reflect how good this show was.

• Like 3

I live on the east coast but am on yet another road trip for work, stayed in Wyoming last night, mountain time zone. Searching online gave me very little information regarding when the show was going to air on TBS, but eventually I found out that it was taped delayed. That was a bummer because I wanted to watch live and I was exhausted, so instead I went to bed and watched this morning recorded. 

Okay show overall with a great start, I love Hangman getting the definitive win. One thing with the current roster, they have a lot of people who just don't seem to take to pro wrestling naturally. Luchasaurus, Pillman Jr, Jade Cargill, I know two of the three are very green but man, I'm never too stoked to see them in the ring and especially now with Jade taking the new title. I will forever give people opportunities to get better, because I look at how far Britt Baker came into the short span of time. 

That said, I really think that Penta and Fenix just do not gel with anybody else besides the Bucks, and have gone from really loving watching them to seeing the same shit over and over again. 

Ugh, I hate harping on the negatives but the show did not really grab me tonight, or rather this morning.

Edited by christopher.annino
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Punk-Wardlow was on TK's scribbled card for Full Gear, and Punk's potential tension with MJF was teased in the Youtube promo for his match vs Bobby Fish. They could have gotten to this much sooner. Glad they took the extra time to finally heat up Wardlow for this one. 

I realize that I'm probably too impatient regarding those intermeshed angles, but I also find the ongoing elements of these angles tedious at this point. MJF running all over the arena during the 6-man was the best thing that happened in the last 2 months of the Punk-MJF storyline.

4 minutes ago, JLowe said:

I realize that I'm probably too impatient regarding those intermeshed angles, but I also find the ongoing elements of these angles tedious at this point. MJF running all over the arena during the 6-man was the best thing that happened in the last 2 months of the Punk-MJF storyline.

I wouldn't blame anyone for finding some of the pacing of angles tedious. Hangman's "redemption" arc and the MJF-Jericho/Pinnacle-Inner Circle stuff certainly ground my enthusiasm down. But I'm enjoying this one. We're less than two months into something that stands a decent chance at resolving itself at Revolution. And if not there, I don't expect it to drag on as long as some of the other payoffs. In the interim, we're getting promos I largely enjoy and big TV matches like the Punk/Darby/Sting six man and now Punk-Wardlow. But I'm in the tank for Punk and didn't tire of him as quickly as others, so tastes may differ. 

• Like 1

I'd argue that AEW is a promotion based around matches and the stories are just a means to an end to enhance the matches and give reason and cause for them.

@JLoweI'd be interested to see you watch all of Lucha Underground, which is the most story-driven wrestling ever probably.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Regarding the change to TBS, I was surprised that YouTube TV just moved the DVR recording over to TBS without me needing to do anything.

My cable did the same thing. Probably because the show has the same exact info. On Xfinity they did change the image from Cody giving Dustin an abdominal stretch to almost the entire cast of AEW with Hangman as the big head in the middle.

47 minutes ago, Matt D said:

I'd argue that AEW is a promotion based around matches and the stories are just a means to an end to enhance the matches and give reason and cause for them.

@JLoweI'd be interested to see you watch all of Lucha Underground, which is the most story-driven wrestling ever probably.

Honestly, I just don't care much for smarky "shoot-style" promos which is why MJF-Punk has bored me. I think that's where I'm more old school than many.

As you said, I like when stories and angles serve to add to the matches/give them a reason, which is why I can't watch WWE where the matches (outside of quarterly PPVs) are an afterthought.

Lucha Underground actually treated their TV like it was an ongoing series, correct? If it's like old school GLOW I would probably like it.

GREAT world title match.  Much better than the first, for me.  Perfect capper to Hangman's title chase storyline.  He won the belt but that draw made him feel like maybe he wasn't worthy.  Then he came in and beat a top notch veteran emphatically and found his self confidence.  Absolute bloodbath, too.  Hell yeah.

Punk/MJF felt like an angle rewrite.  Last week, didn't Punk say something to the effect of, "if you don't want to fight, that's cool.  We're both going for the belt and will meet eventually anyway.  And I'll derail you."  This week was completely the opposite of that.  MJF's smarky "I'm gonna go work for WWE" act is bush league.  

Just for Men Jericho is beyond tired at this point.  And he dropped a Terence and Phillip reference?  I know South Park is still on TV but that shit is older than a chunk of the roster.  

It says a lot for AEW's booking that I'm excited for Punk/Wardlow and am curious as to how it goes.  Wrestling is so simple if you let it be.

Jade has a long long way to go and seemed lost out there at times, like the spot where she went to one corner, then stopped and awkwardly went to the other corner, to do something.  But she'll get there.  I don't agree with putting the belt on someone so green and don't know how much value they'll get out of a title reign where the champ has to be carried so much, but we'll see.  But that avalanche Jaded finish looked awful.  I was kind of sad seeing how the women's division made has all this progress, but in the end, we had a somewhat unathletic WWE castoff vs a very green Insta fitness influencer and that was a bummer.

JR was so happy last week!  What was the over/under on curmudgeony JR returning?  He sure does not like double teaming in tag matches.  You'd think after 2+ years, he'd stop bitching about it.

Get well soon, Fenix.  That shit was gross.  Alvarez reported it was a dislocated elbow, so that's some good news.

Awesome to see Jungle Boy win a title.  The other teams coming out at the end was really cool!

I LOVE Matt Lee's "coked up 80s heel" tribute act, complete with pointing with his pinky finger out every time.

I'm so happy Danielson has gotten older, more mellow, and wiser -- he took those ringpost shots across the chest!  15ish years ago he would have shoot taken them with his forehead.

"We're going to get you back the way my generation does things!"  LOL

It was fun to realize 3/4 of the main event participants were Lucha Underground alumni.

• Like 3

I think I liked the draw better, by the way. I need to think more about it for next week and get my thoughts together.

----

Forget that though. What do they do with Danielson next? I'm ready for him to create his Cobra Kai stable of Garcia and whoever else.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Punk/MJF felt like an angle rewrite.  Last week, didn't Punk say something to the effect of, "if you don't want to fight, that's cool.  We're both going for the belt and will meet eventually anyway.  And I'll derail you." 

That’s actually what they did. Punk derailed him by causing him to lose by DQ.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Hagan said:

Question: do some of you downgrade a match based on knowing that someone get legitimately injured? Seeing takes that the tag match was a "mess" or was "ruined" because Fenix got injured. I get that logic in that I can see the enjoyment of a match being diminished knowing someone got seriously hurt (no different than any other sport) but I was wondering if people saw an injury as an artistic demerit in match evaluation? 

Not at all. The injury was at the finish and had no impact. To me the match was simply a directionless mess. No flow, no heat and just uninspired. Even JR was having a hard time with it. The match they had on Rampage previous was far better. This one, meh.

• Like 1