DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - TBS Premier Episode - 01/05/2022

8 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Fuck that was a great match. I'm still not 100% sold on Wangman (probably because he's too pretty and flies high too much for my taste in a big guy) but the tights that looked like he had chaps on were choice -- and beyond that, well, he was fuckin' great here. Excellent and realistic reversals and avoidances before they just decided on brain trauma. Danielson doing the Troma Twitch on the outside after getting his head dropped on Page's ankle was a chef's kiss. And the blood, well, let's just say if someone can make a Best and Bloodiest of AEW comp with all the FITE versions of the matches I will pay you for it. Excellent story told by excellent wrestlers. 

The tights shaped like chaps look better than the trunks. Agree with you on the match itself.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

Page v AmDrag was such perfect storytelling.

Hangman had him dead to rights in the draw. the last 1-2 minutes of that match was just Page putting an absolute BEATDOWN on Bryan and he left it too late to make the cover.

No mistakes this time.

Hit the Buckshot. Pin him. Leave.

I'd love that it looks to be something going forward: If Page hits the Buckshot, it's over.
He should defend the title against someone like say, Jay Lethal or Jake Hager, and the match should just be 30 seconds of action, Buckshot, 1-2-3.

Then these long, time limit 'epics' become a story of "Can Page hit the Buckshot?". Maybe someone like Miro tries to injure his arm in the days leading up to the match, putting doubt on the effectiveness of the move.

It's a subtle thing but building on these little story moments over time is what makes pro-wrestling fucking awesome entertainment.

Edited by L_W_P
  • Like 7

Wrestling Observer:

Fenix was injured during the match, either breaking or dislocating his arm after taking a chokeslam off the apron through a table on the floor. Fenix was on his way to the hospital, and the injury was severe enough to likely require surgery. 

The finish to the Tag Team title match after Fenix's injury was the planned finish.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, matwarz said:

Great pro wrestling to open but the rest of the show blew. Jericho segment was death,  women’s match was a snooze and main was a tired spot fest capped by a horrible injury. 

Glad I'm not the only person who felt this way. There's always something kinda "off" about AEW shows to me. 

41 minutes ago, Ramo2653 said:

Glad I'm not the only person who felt this way. There's always something kinda "off" about AEW shows to me. 

I don’t generally feel that way but it was painfully obvious tonight. Stellar opening and then it was amateur hour. One of the great things about AEW is the something for everyone flavour. That said, when you’re following a presentation like the opener, you damn sure better be able to hit all your marks regardless of what meal you’re serving. 

• Like 3

Hope it doesn’t happen but suspect the world title ends up on Punk. MJF can’t handle coming out of another vet-program with a loss, but suspect that is what happens leading into MJF->Wardlow. That feud for the world title would be better.

Somebody get Chris Jericho off TV. Are they actively trying to self-sabotage the company?

Title had to go to Jade, esp. in light of the diversity-calls around the company at the moment. No other option. She’s also stellar at her gimmick so who cares. Don’t soften her. Go hard.

Not sure who to liken JE to from years gone by. Too Cool? They’re over but ultimately feel like one of those make-up-the-numbers novelty teams. AEW has a lot of tag teams (too many) but few put over effectively. Would be good to see a gauntlet of top-4 teams compete with frequent title changes over the next 6-12 months. That would be something fresh.

Edited by A_K
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, For Great Justice said:

Luchasaurus is either the slowest wrestler in the history of wrestling or just looks that way because he’s been sharing a ring with Fenix and Jungle Boy. Goodness, that was tough to watch at times. 

The larger dinosaurs were never that known for moving fast, so that would go with the territory.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Well I guess it’s good that they signed all these guys just in case something like this happened.

Great world title match. But I’m kinda left wondering who is next for Hangman? Looking at the rankings you’d think Adam Cole, but it’s rumored that Cole will be involved in a multi man tag match, so I’m not certain that’s happening. Wardlow is apparently tied up in the planned ladder match. Then you have Scorpio, and Hobbs. Two guys that aren’t being pushed like contenders on TV, but I can see them getting a shot still. Why? Because it’s obvious what will be the biggest selling point of the PPV. That being Punk Vs. MJF. So giving Hangman an obvious win of a title match wouldn’t be the worst thing in the world, especially if the reign itself might go a little long. Also Hangman is to me one of the best workers(if not the best) in the company. He’s got that Superman ability in the ring that always produces the best matches, and solid crowd reactions in the company no matter the show he works on. He’s the Kenta Kobashi of AEW.

Of the two contenders, I prefer Scorpio. Hobbs, and Hangman already had a fun Dynamite match. Scorp Vs. Page I believe has never happened ever, and I’m sure Lambert has an interesting promo for a potential one on one PPV match if given the opportunity heading into the big show.

Fuck up aside, I thought the tag title match was awesome. Sucks about the injury, but rewatching the match, it’s a surprise it didn’t happen on the tornillo where funny enough he landed awkwardly on the left arm.

TBS title match was sadly messy. At this moment the right person won, but technically I think Thunder should’ve been the champion. I guess eventually that will happen. I would personally have Jade choreographer her matches at this point, but I have a feeling certain people in the company wouldn’t be happy with working matches like that.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 2

I’m going to have to grade this one on a curve.  Work has been super busy and I had zero energy to watch a wrestling show.  

That being said…

The title match was perfection.  I went into it with the question of “How are they going to sell a shorter match and still have it work” after a 60 minute draw.  Fortunately, the prior match wasn’t sold that way.  Instead it was Hangman basically won it had he had another few moments.  This match validated that with the blood and selling that lead the viewer to understanding the earlier finish.  There is a reason AmDrag has been my favorite wrestler for 16 years.  

Loved Punks comeback after I thought MJF had murdered him with the Mania line.  Live and learn, Max.

Unfortunately, I passed out during Jade/Ruby so I only saw the celebration.  I have to wonder if there wasn’t a subtle message being sent to Big Swole in the highlighting of Cargills daughter.  

Yeah, Luchasaurus has fell way off from where he should be.  Too many times he was caught just standing there doing nothing while other stuff gets set up.  You’d figure being 500 million years old and “having a Masters Degree” might have taught him a bit more.  Who knows?  Maybe it not entirely his fault as it concerns THIS match as the Luchas waste a lot of time doing convoluted set ups.  

It was the kind of best of times this night.  Maybe not the worst of times.  But with a couple of lousy injuries putting a damper on things. I can see the point that overall, AEW has had better nights.

This post is drastically out of time!  I gotta go!

Love ya AEW!  See you this weekend.

Edited by Brandon Bones
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Other random thoughts about Dynamite:

• At first I was pretty shocked when Punk GTS'd the Captain. Once the bell rang, I got it and laughed pretty hard. Look, I am all in on MJF having matches on Dark, Elevation, Dynamite, and Rampage only to have Punk cause MJF to lose by DQ. I'm sure a storyline like that has happened in the past to try and bait someone into a match, but I can't remember when. This new twist to the MJF/Punk storyline has the potential to be really good.
  • The Jericho segment was...whatever. It was fine. But maybe I was more distracted by Jericho's hair. Looking at his dye job and whatever goop was in his hair along his hairline, all I could think of was the episode of It's Always Sunny from this season where Frank explains he started a hair dye business, making dye out of India ink, motor oil, and other stuff, and revealed he was responsible for Giuliani's dye job. I was waiting for streaks of blackish brown to start running down Jericho's face.
  • The Ruby/Jade match was fine. I like Ruby a ton, but she isn't the person to carry Jade and Jade shouldn't be working limb injuries until she learns more. Jade needs to be working regularly against Riho or Shida to get to that next level. So despite a fine match, the end of it was a feel good moment with Jade and her daughter.
  • I laughed pretty hard at the finish to Pillman vs Black. It looked Pillman's botch was planned so I don't care about it that much.
  • Thought for sure we were going to see Brody King tonight. Not sure what the point was to having the Lucha Bros. confront Black, Black basically teasing a tag feud against the Lucha Bros, and the Lucha Bros then losing the tag titles. If there is one benefit to Fenix being injured aside from him being forced to take time off, it's that you can now have Black say he cursed the Lucha Bros., he's in their heads, that's why they lost, and it all eventually leads to Pac's return and a blowoff between Pac and Penta vs Black and King.
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, John E. Dynamite said:

btw every Pillar has won a championship but MJF, if Punk doesn't bring this up it's a missed opportunity.

Punk can also go right back to Britt being the fourth pillar to get into MJF's head. If MJF ever goes to WWE, then it can become official.

• Like 1

"Hasn't won a match this year" graphic made legit LOL.

This was such a perfect match for my tastes, manly brutal match, stiff and technical at the same time, just perfect.

I love that it felt completely different to the first one and they just threw bombs at each other from the get go. Might be my new favorite AEW match of all time so far, finally kicking Kenny/Hangman vs Young Bucks from my No. 1 spot.

Hangmans has beaten Kenny Omega and Bryan Danielson in the span of two months, he should be a made man now.

Ah holy shit poor fucking Fenix, felt so bad for him, that looked horrible ?

Edited by eikerir
  • Like 3

Guest Jimbo_Tsuruta

Great, great title match. I hope a healthy Page and Danielson are still wrestling each other in their fifties so we get fancams of wild brawls from school gyms in Waxahachie and we can all go "ANOTHER FUCKIN CLASSIC!"

May Fenix heal up quick.

While watching the opener, I was trying to think of the last time Bryan juiced in a match and I struggled to think when. When he first got opened up, I thought that it wouldn't be that bad. A minute later and I'm like, oh shit, this may be on the scale of a full 1.0 Eddie Guerrero/Muta.

• Like 2

Oh, and Hangman has the most incredible clotting ability. This is the umpteenth time he's been busted up, juiced a lot, and then it just completely stopped. Dude needs to start popping a couple aspirin an hour before his matches.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Craig H said:

While watching the opener, I was trying to think of the last time Bryan juiced in a match and I struggled to think when. When he first got opened up, I thought that it wouldn't be that bad. A minute later and I'm like, oh shit, this may be on the scale of a full 1.0 Eddie Guerrero/Muta.

Probably vs. Nigel McGuinness at ROH Glory by Honour VIII in September 2009, the last ROH match for both men.

Edited by The Natural

Something I forgot to mention was the nice video packages they had to set up future matches, including more acknowledgments of things that happened on Dark, like Jake Atlas and the Hirsch and Statlander angle. The backstage with JR and Deeb was also good, as was the Ruby/Riho/Baker/Hayter schmozz. My only minor comment (and this happens pretty often) is how they have those backstage angles and then 10 seconds later announce that a match has been signed for X program, complete with graphics. A little bit of a delay would be a bit more realistic.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, JLowe said:

Something I forgot to mention was the nice video packages they had to set up future matches, including more acknowledgments of things that happened on Dark, like Jake Atlas and the Hirsch and Statlander angle. The backstage with JR and Deeb was also good, as was the Ruby/Riho/Baker/Hayter schmozz. My only minor comment (and this happens pretty often) is how they have those backstage angles and then 10 seconds later announce that a match has been signed for X program, complete with graphics. A little bit of a delay would be a bit more realistic.

It's also a pet peeve of mine, specially when a brawl breaks out in the ring and literally 2 seconds later Excalibur is shouting "I'VE JUST HEARD FROM TONY KHAN THAT....."

At least wait after the next break or something

• Like 2

Question: do some of you downgrade a match based on knowing that someone get legitimately injured? Seeing takes that the tag match was a "mess" or was "ruined" because Fenix got injured. I get that logic in that I can see the enjoyment of a match being diminished knowing someone got seriously hurt (no different than any other sport) but I was wondering if people saw an injury as an artistic demerit in match evaluation?