DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - TBS Premier Episode - 01/05/2022

3 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

Luchasaurus is either the slowest wrestler in the history of wrestling or just looks that way because he’s been sharing a ring with Fenix and Jungle Boy. Goodness, that was tough to watch at times. 

He's 500 Million years old, give him a fucking break dude.

• Like 1
  • Haha 12

Wrestle Kingdom Night Two had a world title match with astounding athleticism, great storytelling, reversals of moves and clever  callbacks to previous matches, intensity and drama. It also had a dude getting legit hurt doing table/ladder stunt spots. 

Dynamite had a world title match with astounding athleticism, great storytelling, reversals of moves and clever callbacks to previous matches, intensity and drama. It also had a dude getting legit injured doing a table spot.

I love pro wrestling. I wish they'd lean more on the storytelling and less on the spectacular stunts.

• Like 8

1 minute ago, John E. Dynamite said:

btw every Pillar has won a championship but MJF, if Punk doesn't bring this up it's a missed opportunity.

Great bit of storytelling that I'm sure won't be lost on them. 

Speaking of storytelling: Danielson is the GOAT and Hangman went with him every step of the way. Where does Page go next?Not sure it's time to be messing with Cole/reD/Bucks and getting back into THAT story just yet though. Maybe Miro returns? 

Congrats to Jade Cargill. She's still building but a long run as the inaugural TBS champion, working with the likes of Soho, Deeb, Shida, Statlander etc will do wonders for her. She's a superstar in the making.

Once again AEW delivers on what they promised. Great show.

• Like 5

It's been awhile since the early Wrestle Kingdom MotY frontrunners got bumped in less than a day or two. Then again, nothing on those cards was better than Nakajima/Shiozaki and nothing's gonna touch Page/Danielson II until Danielson feels like it.

• Like 5

First and foremost, excellent title match. Hangmin was determined not to wrestle the same match and came out guns a blazing. Really smart stuff. 

That said, this show drove off a cliff after that. The MJF and Punk back and forth was probably the best they've had because it didn't overstay its welcome and I'll take a Wardlow squash every day of the week. Everything else was a pretty big miss. Fenix's arm and before that the match being another Lucha Bros mess of a match. Jade isn't ready and is overexposed. Not her fault at all and I understand wanting to feature her prominently but 90% of what she does is unnatural. Like the knee selling is cringe inducing. Jericho is at his absolute worst right now and I need Kingston to shut him the fuck up. Lights go off in the main for no reason. What was that ending in the Pillman match? Hart sporting a different demeanor but no real progression in the narrative. This show pissed me off too much for one featuring a classic world title match and a Wardlow squash. 

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 6

7 minutes ago, Jiji said:

First and foremost, excellent title match. Hangmin was determined not to wrestle the same match and came out guns a blazing. Really smart stuff. 

That said, this show drove off a cliff after that. The MJF and Punk back and forth was probably the best they've had because it didn't overstay its welcome and I'll take a Wardlow squash every day of the week. Everything else was a pretty big miss. Fenix's arm and before that the match being another Lucha Bros mess of a match. Jade isn't ready and is overexposed. Not her fault at all and I understand wanting to feature her prominently but 90% of what she does is unnatural. Like the knee selling is cringe inducing. Jericho is at his absolute worst right now and I need Kingston to shut him the fuck up. Lights go off in the main for no reason. What was that ending in the Pillman match? Hart sporting a different demeanor but no real progression. This show pissed me off too much for one featuring a classic world title match and a Wardlow squash. 

I'm with you, @Jiji. I wish Adam Page vs. Bryan Danielson II went longer after what followed. Only liked what happened with CM Punk/MJF and Wardlow squash. Chris Jericho's segment was bad with the only thing funny from it is his horrible hair dye, Black/Pillman Jr dragged and Lucha Brothers/Jurassic Express wasn't clicking, same with #FTR vs. Lucha Brothers. Dud AEW World Tag Team Championship reign. I wish Rey Fenix a speedy recovery, hate when any wrestler gets injured.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

LOL yeah Jericho broke out the Giuliani spray, absolutely brutal. But yeah that opener was amazing, I loved that they went clean win, and forewent the Funk angle. I was initially weird with MJF bringing up WM but Punk burying a bit later made it make sense, so I really enjoyed that one. Also very excited for JX win, but I did think we'd be getting the Christian turn here. Poor Rey Fenix, I was surprised that got a replay. Hopefully it's as good as one of those can be.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Which is unfortunate, because their last (first) match that they showed clips of with Giannis freaking out was the absolute kind of spotfest you'd want out of these two teams. Ugh. What a bummer but the most important part is Fenix's arm. Can't believe that nobody noticed even after he was dramatically pointing at his left arm. Two replays and it took the doctor a while to get over there. I have no idea how this works but I would imagine his arm popping out at the elbow is better than an actual break, right? 

Edit: The Christian stuff can wait. I'm glad they didn't paint Jungle Boy as a loser again. He needed the win and the titles needed to change hands. Maybe we get a more subtle updated version of him hogging the glory like he did with Edge's King of the Ring Stanley Cup.

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 5

Bryan vs. Hangman.. wow.   What a feud.   Hangman needed that too.   Wonder where Bryan goes from here 

Congrats to Jade also.  She's green but what a presence she has.  Want to see another rematch vs. Red Velvet.  

Congrats to Jungle Boy also. He's a good guy and has a long long career ahead.  

TBS does not care about bloodshed..lol

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, matwarz said:

Great pro wrestling to open but the rest of the show blew. Jericho segment was death,  women’s match was a snooze and main was a tired spot fest capped by a horrible injury. 

This was my experience as well.  It's been a really tough run for Rey Fenix since the beginning of that title run.  The idea of this title switch being an audible called late in the match is an exciting idea.  I like all the teams coming out at the end, but it failed to be anything but hokey after that disaster of a match.  Interesting show with the first portion being amongst the best TV they've produced and the second being amongst the absolute worst.  Mind you, this is coming off a long, long run of good to great shows.  You can't win them all.  

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 3

I don't think they'd have the entire tag division ready to go out to the ramp had the titles not changed hands plus it seemed like nobody fuckin' knew what was going on with Fenix until later on. Maybe that ending was improvised but I don't think the outcome was.

I'm not seeing it with Ruby. She's fine but not particularly good in the ring. Jade's not an easy assignment but I haven't seen a performance from Soho that has really won me over at all so far. 

• Like 3

Oh man, that World Title match was fucking awesome.  I like at the end where they both channel Tomohiro Ishii vs Shibatta with the ridiculous headbutts.  Lookit all the BLOOD!  Jillion stars.  I love that they turned Jade Cargill face right before the match because of her adorable daughter,  Match was about as good as we were going to get, I guess.  Awww, her daughter chanting JADE JADE JADE was adorable.  I hope Rey Fenix recovers,  I never want to see that again.  Yeah, hard to follow that first match.

• Like 13

Jade/Soho wasn't too good but congrats to Jade. Is she all of the way there yet? No, but can't deny that she has a presence and continues to improve. Soho will have her time to shine. In fact, I love that so many of the women are viable challengers/potential champions now. They've come quite a long way since that very slow start. 

Man, that Fenix injury looked terrible. Wishing him a speedy recovery. 

Hangman/Bryan delivers again, awesome stuff. Brought the violence and really felt like a signature win for Hangman. Great match. 

Huge win for Capt. Shawn Dean! The extremely rare DQ in AEW. I loved Punk's line telling MJF to go main event "night 4 of the buy 1 get 1 free extravaganza", that was hilarious. 

Liked Ruby/Jade. Went as I expected it to, even though I was rooting for Ruby to pull it off. Dug the post-match and I like keeping Ruby in the mix with the Rampage tag. 

Awesome main event. I noticed since last week the graphic and intro is now "Jungle Boy and Luchasaurus" instead of Jurassic Express. Thought for sure the lights flash during the match was leading to more Malakai involvement, but glad they left it alone. Had a feeling the table spot wasn't going to end well for some reason. Very cool feel-good moment type ending for the big title win, especially for Jungle Boy to finally win gold. Really liked all the teams coming out to put over the importance of everyone now gunning for them as the champs. Austin Gunn dancing to Tarzan Boy was thee best. Great start to a big All Elite week.

To avoid being an overly negative prick, the stuff with Jade's daughter was very nice indeed. 

The headbutts were such a great touch. They all looked vicious, they played up Danielson's history of stupid headbutt shit and his brain trauma, they were on the night after Shibata's first full return to pro wrestling, and most importantly they were all worked. Better still, they fit the narrative of two hard headed sons of bitches trying to outdo each other in a good old fashioned, no-nonsense wrestling storyline. 

• Like 8

The opener was breathtaking. Absolutely gorgeous pro wrestling. Adam Page is a made man now.

I enjoyed the MJF/Punk exchange. The line about getting released made me lol.

The Jericho thing was lame. How did Eddie and P&P get hooked up in something so lame?

I like Ruby. I think she's a star, her fundamentals are solid, and she has an innate sympathetic nature, but she's not to the level where she can carry Jade Cargill. I thought the moment was better than the match, but I think Ruby is gonna get a World Title run out of this, so that's good. I like Ruby a ton. She's a centerpiece level talent imo.

I didn't hate the main as much as some of y'all, but that injury was ugly. Super stoked for Jungle Boy. He needed to wear gold soon and this felt like a bit of an ascension for him. Kept waiting for the double cross. I figured a Christian turn would be a way to keep the belts off JX without them looking bad.

Oh yeah. I was pissed there was no reveal for Malakai Black, but the tease at the end of the show lets me know he'll have a t least a tag partner soon, if not a full stable.

• Like 3