DVDVR Message Board

Royal Rumble XXXV - 1/29/2022

Dolfan in NYC

Sasha's attire was one of her best and it truly seemed like she was living her best life for a few minutes there.

This promptly flew out the window with Tamina not having any Team BAD callbacks and having a lot of time to kill, along with many, many occasions where people would be interrupting each others' elimination attempts.

The biggest problem is pretty simple: They have a roster that with a few exceptions nobody cares about (and that's almost entirely because there's been no reason given to care about them with how they've been booked and positioned) and for a Rumble match that's pretty much death.

• Like 3

Deep down a weird psychological part of me almost wanted to pay for Peacock to watch this show. I eventually convinced myself not to. I'm very glad I didn't. 

Honestly, in such a gutted division, Rousey winning tonight was probably the best and smartest thing WWE could do. WrestleMania looks absolutely abysmal right now, so a Rousey returns at least gives WWE a bit of a twist and something to spice up the women's division this year.

Lesnar vs. Reigns AGAIN sucks. That they have booked their whole main event scene around doing this match again is ridiculous.

Half the women in the Royal Rumble don't even work for the company. They gutted their whole division and basically had no one left to fill out the Rumble. It's a sad joke.

Edited by TheVileOne
  • Like 3

Rousey winning means they can put her match on the main event for Night 1 and then Lesnar/Reigns is Night 2. God help em for figuring out how to make WM go for two nights this year without having some people working both nights.

But really, if you're blocking off two hours for Rumbles, you have to have some of the rest of the night wrap up quicker, or start the show a little before 7 local time, or something. Edge/Beth vs Miz/Maryse was probably a match that would have fit in as a special WM match instead of how it was slotted tonight.

• Like 2

Here's what you need to do if you're a big evil company like WWE - Fire everybody between the Rumble and Mania.

You want a big ol' roster to pad the Rumble out, duh. ALSO - even with two days of it, Mania cards are jam-packed and you run the risk of letting your active talent down by not featuring them. If you can't think of a reason to put somebody on a Mania card, just fire 'em! Problem solved!

And if you're releasing people in mid-January and February, everybody's non-compete clause will expire in the middle of April, when AEW shows are at risk of being pre-empted by the NBA and NHL playoffs.

This company can't even be SHITTY properly!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cobra Commander said:

Rousey winning means they can put her match on the main event for Night 1 and then Lesnar/Reigns is Night 2. God help em for figuring out how to make WM go for two nights this year without having some people working both nights.

But really, if you're blocking off two hours for Rumbles, you have to have some of the rest of the night wrap up quicker, or start the show a little before 7 local time, or something. Edge/Beth vs Miz/Maryse was probably a match that would have fit in as a special WM match instead of how it was slotted tonight.

Two nights would've been more feasible before they fired over half the roster.

Rollins/Reigns was decent enough before the lame finish. Now because we're getting Lesnar/Reigns everyone's going to forget the fact that Reigns tried to murder Rollins on live television.

Women's Rumble. . .was there. Honestly, there were about five people that anyone could have legitimately expected to win and a bunch of filler. Mickie James was a nice touch.

Doudrop/Lynch was alright. Again, you knew there was no chance in hell that Doudrop was going to win but the match was decent enough.

Lashley/Lesnar was a disappointment. There was plenty of TWO BIG MEATY MEN SLAPPING MEAT~!, but it still felt like something was missing.

Please let the Miz/Edge situation die. Please.

You knew that Lesnar was winning the Men's Rumble as soon as he lost to Lashley, and there weren't anywhere near the surprises that the Women's Rumble had.

Overall, fairly disappointing show, I thought. Particularly for a "Big 4" event.

Just now, Niners Fan in CT said:

Wow the WWE's roster as a whole...   just meh up and down.   They released way too many people.  There's zero depth. 

Roman/Lesnar #345 and Ronda/Charlotte supposed to sell out Dallas for two shows? 

Bring in some luchadors. Or use the ones you have. 

• Like 1

do we want to know the original plan for this month if Reigns/Lesnar happened at Day 1? or the original plan if Kofi was able to avoid being eliminated tonight?

Unless I missed the news, they did manage to avoid melting the Wrestlemania sign during the 2nd pyro display, so there's that.

Doudrop/Becky was the best match. No contest. And I actually enjoyed Bad Bunny's appearance. And certainly Ivory's. (I was actually an RTC mark back in the day entirely because of her and Stevie Richards)

I predicted (to my dismay) the entire show's results days ago though. Including Roman costing Brock the title, then Brock being #30 in the Rumble. EXCEPT... I thought Reigns would pin Rollins and not get DQed. But close enough. And I predicted Gulak would enter the Rumble and be thrown out in three seconds. But he wasn't in. :(

In fact, here's a list of every non-injured person on the main roster who they left off the card entirely (despite Shane doing nothing in the Rumble):

Men:

Akira Tozawa
Angel Garza
Apollo Crews
Cedric Alexander
Cesaro
Commander Azeez
Drew Gulak
Elias
Erik
Finn Balor
Humberto Carillo