DVDVR Message Board

Royal Rumble XXXV - 1/29/2022

Dolfan in NYC

Mickie coming in is surprising. I kind of figured she wouldn't with how WWE has annoyed her the last year or so with the releases. Still, its kind of neat to see WWE workign with another promotion however little.

Feels odd how the Bellas announce retirement only to show up every other year or so. honestly unless its just Nikki at 100% healthy or for the tag titles I don't really have interest in them popping up.

I assume at least 4 of Doudrop, Liv, Bianca, Sasha, and Xia get announced later after whoever faces Becky is decided and if Sasha is healthy enough. Anyone know if Bayley is healed up yet?

Roman/Seth will be interesting mostly to see who gets cheered.

Good for Mickie. After Trashbaggate, 2021 ended up being a great year for her with Empowerrr and then working with Impact. Nice to see her get this sort of recognition in 2022. Still wild to hear "Impact Women's Champion" on WWE TV though lol 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, D.Z said:

Time for Seth to get the Uni belt

maxresdefault.jpg

Fwiw rumblingz suggested Rollins was feted to take the title of Big E. Wouldn't completely shock me to see Reigns and Lesnar screw eachother over. Obviously they would be devaluing the championships by doing so but lol k whateva yea or something. They can't really do the Rumble stip without one of them losing the title.

The Mickie James inclusion is cool. The usual suspects returning a little less cool, but it's logical: maybe you get a good draw and you can win, you then get 12ish weeks to prepare for a title shot at Wrestlemania. 

I think @RIPPAmentioned the possibility of a 2 day Rumble 'premium live event'. Given that Mickie James has come up, I have a radical proposal - have 1 day, all women card EXCEPT the Men's Rumble. The other day, the opposite. 

• Like 1

There’s a lot of folks on Twitter speculating that Mickie being in the Rumble is going to lead to a full Impact/wwe partnership. I have never been as sure of anything in my life as I am that Vince has no idea what Impact wrestling is or that Mickie works there. I guarantee this was a scenario where VKM, Podcast, Nicky Budgets, and the rest of the crew sat down to do the math on the rumble and Vince saw how short the womens roster is. He probably looked over at Podcast and said “goddamn, pal. We need filler. Does that one lady who isn’t Trish still work here?”

There is no partnership, because Impact would need something wwe doesn’t have….

Well Day 1 is a new tradition going forward for WWE in the same month with Royal Rumble. Rules out the Royal Rumble splitting.

Johnny married the Bellas' Mom back in 2016.

Edited by D.Z

1 hour ago, just drew said:

There’s a lot of folks on Twitter speculating that Mickie being in the Rumble is going to lead to a full Impact/wwe partnership. I have never been as sure of anything in my life as I am that Vince has no idea what Impact wrestling is or that Mickie works there. I guarantee this was a scenario where VKM, Podcast, Nicky Budgets, and the rest of the crew sat down to do the math on the rumble and Vince saw how short the womens roster is. He probably looked over at Podcast and said “goddamn, pal. We need filler. Does that one lady who isn’t Trish still work here?”

There is no partnership, because Impact would need something wwe doesn’t have….

They have enough women on the rosters. Probably just a case of wanting an outside name that wasn't expected so I agree people shouldn't expect a relationship. is Mickie even signed to Impact? I thought she had a role in NWA.

Knew they wouldn't have enough of a roster to fill out the women's rumble, but never would've expected to see the current knockouts champ in it. Especially after the way her release went. Other than that, huge pop for Summer Rae getting included, she was an underrated favorite of mine that I always want to see pop up elsewhere after her release.

They have over 40 women across the rosters on the US side. It goes to nearly 60 when the UK roster is added. They have enough women so please quit pushing this false narrative just because the company pisses you off.

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Eivion said:

They have over 40 women across the rosters on the US side. It goes to nearly 60 when the UK roster is added. They have enough women so please quit pushing this false narrative just because the company pisses you off.

Yes, technically they have enough women to fill out the Rumble, but its important to note that on the main rosters, the count is 22 (based on Wikipedia) and I believe some of these women are not going to be in the Rumble (Becky Lynch and Flair are champions, Sasha's injured, Bayley and Asuka are maybes, and I doubt both Phoenix and Maryse will work double duty). So, really, on the main roster, if Bayley and Asuka return and Pheonix and Maryse do double duty, still just 19 entrants. 

Yes, they could easily round out the Rumble match with a mix of NXT and NXT UK talents, but we're talking about potentially a third of the Rumble participants being developmental talent and that would be a bit much to me and obviously to Vince. Including the Bellas, Summer Rae, and Mickie is cool with me and does speak to the WWE recognizing that these additions add name value that using NXT and NXT UK women don't have. I just kinda wish they had held off on some of these surprises until the show itself, though, who knows? Maybe these guest entrants are meant to distract us from Bayley and Asuka?

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Eivion said:

Defense mechanism activated lol.

No reason you should be getting this defensive over such valid criticism. While yes they have enough warm bodies to fill the ring at The Rumble, it's clear they would need women from NXT & NXT UK that have no experience on the main roster. Which means a significant portion of the audience wouldn't be familiar with them. That's kind of a necessary competent for how The Rumble works. Buzzer goes off, music hits, fans pop because they are excited to see this wrestler interact with who is already in the ring. If you don't know who that wrestler is, then why would you be excited? You also wouldn't think they have a shot of main eventing WrestleMania, so what's the point?

You are technically correct. They do employ more than 30 women. But for The Rumble to work as intended, for the audience to be excited to see people they know, they need more than just who is currently under contract. That's a pretty simple concept I would think everyone could agree with. Has nothing to do with a company pissing anyone off. And I'm a little taken aback at why it offends you when people say they released too many women and need to fill the void. It's a true statement and not some dirt sheet rumor. They don't have enough main roster women to make it work. It's a fact. They also don't have enough NXT / NXT women that have main roster experience to fill the gaps. Another fact. It's just the way it is.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Defense mechanism activated lol.

No reason you should be getting this defensive over such valid criticism. While yes they have enough warm bodies to fill the ring at The Rumble, it's clear they would need women from NXT & NXT UK that have no experience on the main roster. Which means a significant portion of the audience wouldn't be familiar with them. That's kind of a necessary competent for how The Rumble works. Buzzer goes off, music hits, fans pop because they are excited to see this wrestler interact with who is already in the ring. If you don't know who that wrestler is, then why would you be excited? You also wouldn't think they have a shot of main eventing WrestleMania, so what's the point?

You are technically correct. They do employ more than 30 women. But for The Rumble to work as intended, for the audience to be excited to see people they know, they need more than just who is currently under contract. That's a pretty simple concept I would think everyone could agree with. Has nothing to do with a company pissing anyone off. And I'm a little taken aback at why it offends you when people say they released too many women and need to fill the void. It's a true statement and not some dirt sheet rumor. They don't have enough main roster women to make it work. It's a fact. They also don't have enough NXT / NXT women that have main roster experience to fill the gaps. Another fact. It's just the way it is.

Except we have seen a Rumble where a third of the women were NXT.

And please refrain from calling your opinion of how you think something works a fact. 

• Like 2

For my own benefit went back and did a count of the previous Women's Rumbles. Let's see where the numbers take us.

2021 | Main Roster Regulars 20| NXT = 20%
Raw -12
SD -8
NXT -6
NXT UK -0
Random & HOFs -4

2020 | Main Roster Regulars 15 | NXT = 33.3%
Raw -8
SD -7
NXT -10
NXT UK -1
Random & HOFs -4

2019 | Main Roster Regulars 24 | NXT = 16.6%
Raw -13
SD -11
NXT -5
NXT UK -1
Randoms & HOFs -0

2018 | Main Roster Regulars 12 | NXT = 6.6%
Raw -8
SD -10
NXT -2
NXT UK -0
Randoms & HOFs -10

So it looks like the numbers prove me to be a little off the mark. They could field 10 or 11 from NXT again like they did in 2020. By my count there's roughly about 13 women in NXT that have significant enough TV exposure to match 2020's totals.

3 hours ago, Eivion said:

And please refrain from calling your opinion of how you think something works a fact. 

The numbers don't lie and you were right. Proven to not be a fact. My apologies.

• Like 1

I will say I don't disagree they fired too many women. They fired too many people in general the past year or two. While I like NXT and what I have seen of NXT UK I would rather they only make up a small amount of the participants, and preferably as a result of said wrestlers moving up.

So I was thinking what could the most disappointing result of the Royal Rumble?  First thought was Roman somehow eliminates all 29 other men.  But that's not necessarily disappointing, just inevitable. 

What if Alexa's return heralds a return of the Fiend, and there's no update to his shtick, just the same old same old and he ends up in the final 2 but still slips on a banana peel and loses to Roman.