DVDVR Message Board

Royal Rumble XXXV - 1/29/2022

Dolfan in NYC

8 hours ago, paintedbynumbers said:

With VInce's mom dying I am kind of shocked Shane would even appear. I mean his Grandma just died. It makes me wonder if Vince was backstage as if nothing even happened. 

Respectfully, it did happen over a week before the event. And they likely didn't want to mourn in public. Vince's older brother passed away recently as well.

12 hours ago, The Idiot King said:

It's duller, for sure. 99-00's WCW felt a lot more like a sinking ship with each passing week, but it always had a glimmer of, "Okay, fuck it, we're starting from scratch, maybe THIS wild idea will work." 2022 WWE just feels like it will endlessly coast, never dying or ever getting any better. Kind of like the Simpsons.

WWE and The Simpsons is probably the most apt comparison. Just a hollow husk of a once great concept that offers nothing new artistically but generates so much money off pure inertia that it will lumber on until one of the irreplaceable parts (Vince or one of the core 5 voice actors) is physically unable to continue working. At least WCW had a proper flame-out. I'd watch every hour of WCW from the finger poke to the end before I watched every hour of any given year of WWE since 2016.

Anyway, I did check out the Rumble with some friends. Not sure if it was the worst ever (95, 99, 11, and 15 are serious contenders for that honor), but it is the first Rumble that makes me want to actively avoid Mania.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Respectfully, it did happen over a week before the event. And they likely didn't want to mourn in public. Vince's older brother passed away recently as well.

Didn’t his mother die on the one year anniversary of Rod’s death? He died in Jan 2021.

• Like 1

Why does it seem like every year after Royal Rumble, the fans are at their most disappointed at the booking/ overall quality? Every year WWE seems to fuck it up. Sometimes they correct it by Wrestlemania, sometimes they don't, but fucking up Royal Rumble seems to be the rule rather than the exception!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Go2Sleep said:

WWE and The Simpsons is probably the most apt comparison. Just a hollow husk of a once great concept that offers nothing new artistically but generates so much money off pure inertia that it will lumber on until one of the irreplaceable parts (Vince or one of the core 5 voice actors) is physically unable to continue working. At least WCW had a proper flame-out. I'd watch every hour of WCW from the finger poke to the end before I watched every hour of any given year of WWE since 2016.

Anyway, I did check out the Rumble with some friends. Not sure if it was the worst ever (95, 99, 11, and 15 are serious contenders for that honor), but it is the first Rumble that makes me want to actively avoid Mania.

Those Royal Rumbles you mentioned along with 2014 and 2022 are the contenders for worst Royal Rumble matches. 2015 would be my pick as a blatant fuck you to the fanbase with the returning Daniel Bryan eliminated early as Shattered Dreams comes up on the Titantron, Kane/Big Show are booked to be dominant and the winner Roman Reigns is booed with Rock's reaction to that as he raises Roman's arm.

• Like 1

That 2015 Rumble being in Philly didn't help it at all.  Extremely shortsighted by them to dump Bryan and shoehorn Reigns.  I'm shocked no one would think that Philly miiiiiight not be the place to do that, lol, I live in Philly so I know what kind of mutants we can be but this reaction almost felt deserved.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Shartnado said:

Why does it seem like every year after Royal Rumble, the fans are at their most disappointed at the booking/ overall quality? Every year WWE seems to fuck it up. Sometimes they correct it by Wrestlemania, sometimes they don't, but fucking up Royal Rumble seems to be the rule rather than the exception!

With 2018 being the exception where they actually gave the fans Rumble winners they wanted in Nakamura and Asuka and then fucking up Wrestlemania by having them both lose.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Vgmastr said:

With 2018 being the exception where they actually gave the fans Rumble winners they wanted in Nakamura and Asuka and then fucking up Wrestlemania by having them both lose.

I'd say both 2018 Royal Rumble matches were the last truly great ones. Asuka and Shinsuke Nakamura stupidly lost at WrestleMania XXXIV. Wrong that, ditto Roman Reigns losing to Brock Lesnar.

Edited by The Natural

1 hour ago, Vgmastr said:

Sometimes they get it backwards.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

PWI is reporting the original winner of the Men's Rumble was booked to be Riddle.  

That would have been interesting. Soon as Brock came out everyone knew he was winning. Up until that moment there was at least some mystery of who could win. Only thing that would have sucked is it would mean the end of RKBro. Randy putting up with Riddle's goofiness is just so much fun. I don't want that to end.

• Like 1

Feels like that would've at least come off like a 'new star making moment' if they went that route.

Sounds like there's still at least some consideration of doing another title change in the Chamber and running Riddle/Orton at Mania for the title.