DVDVR Message Board

Royal Rumble XXXV - 1/29/2022

Dolfan in NYC

16 minutes ago, The Comedian said:

I'd think the fact that she worked in jeans, a cheap tank top, and a long sleeve t that they gimmicked to make it look like she had a cleavage window should tell you how much prep time she had for the Rumble...

WWE is all about name value with Wrestlemania. But it's their blue print for "success" - Mr. T, Cyndy Lauper, Trump - but usually the real success has been wrestling talent on top. 

Rousey can be good - but not sure she will be by April. 

I sincerely feel bad for folks who want to like WWE shows because they like the wrestlers there or grew up with it. I like the wrestlers there, too. I wish they, and you fans, were respected in any way, shape, or form ❤️

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

43 minutes ago, christopher.annino said:

I sincerely feel bad for folks who want to like WWE shows because they like the wrestlers there or grew up with it. I like the wrestlers there, too. I wish they, and you fans, were respected in any way, shape, or form ❤️

Well put. Said before I feel for the wrestlers up shit creek without a paddle due to the senile whims of Vince McMahon. Bruce Pritchard as well. The wrestlers deserve better as do the fan base.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There are people on FB praising this show as a 9.5/10 and that it makes them excited for Mania.  I'm aware that everyone has varying tastes and im happy someone enjoyed it, but am I wrong to be completely bewildered as to HOW this was enjoyable?

Also, i have no idea where Asuka is, and was hoping she might pop up....is she injured or just left out?

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, StuntmanCrowley said:

There are people on FB praising this show as a 9.5/10 and that it makes them excited for Mania.  I'm aware that everyone has varying tastes and im happy someone enjoyed it, but am I wrong to be completely bewildered as to HOW this was enjoyable?

Also, i have no idea where Asuka is, and was hoping she might pop up....is she injured or just left out?

Injured.

• Sad 1

Royal Rumble and maybe WrestleMania are the only shows I still watch from WWE after AEW emerged and killed off the enjoyable run of NXT. I watched the whole show but to be honest I only really paid attention for the rumbles. Some notes, nothing more.

It’s astonishing that Kelly Kelly has somewhat become a nostalgia act / legend act considering just how (at least entertainingly) bad she was, is and ever will be.

I hate it when people don’t enter the rumble right away like Sonya Deville did but then still enter way to soon. Makes everyone look stupid.

I remember Becky Lynch looking much more badass. That was a really weird look for her match, kinda doofus. Talking about bad outfits, Ronda looked really lame too. And I think Beth Phoenix looks or more acts silly in a bad way.

The big match formula of just hitting some suplexes and finishers still is incredibly lame. As if the agent was an eight-year-old with his action figures.

I miss seeing Kevin Owens, Sami Zayn and Rey Mysterio on a somewhat regular basis. Samis way to short stint was probably my highlight of the rumble, I hated Owens getting eliminated by Shane like nothing and Rey still looks so smooth in the ring.

Nakamuras theme instantly got stuck in my head again.

Weird camera work with too many cuts as expected, but they missed two eliminations (Rey and I forgot who the other one was). Also weird, Kofis elimination. Did they just "say, well, fuck it, we might as well try it and if it doesn't work, who cares, you're out"?

Bad Bunny had a really good stretch in the rumble. I never heard of him as an artist before his Wrestlemania effort, but my interest in his kind of music is non-existent and I’m from Germany, so go figure, but if I didn't know, I probably wouldn't have guested that he's just a celebrity guest.

Overall, I really don’t see any new reason to watch more of WWE after this. It’s still the same. They have some fantastic talents and some of them still get to shine, but why even bother. I feel that it’s like watching Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings after you already watched too many awesome Asian action flicks. If I didn’t already knew how good wrestling or asian action could be, if I was a little kid new to the game, I’d probably enjoy this but when you’ve seen at least some of the greener grass on the other side, again, why even bother.

The three months stretch from Royal Rumble 2004 up to Wrestlemania 20 with Eddie and Benoit winning their titles is probably my fondest childhood memory of WWE maybe wrestling altogether ever. That’s probably why I will always return for Royal Rumble. I mean, it’s still interesting, just not that much enjoyable.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, MrKothoga said:

To be fair, having friends over and plenty pizza, wings and beer will probably make everything enjoyable.

Always a good recipe for your evening entertainment. 

And especially having a bunch of 11 year olds running around and hitting each other with pillows as steel chairs.

We're taking the kids to RAW on the 7th and they can't wait.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, chriskbrown50 said:

WWE is all about name value with Wrestlemania. But it's their blue print for "success" - Mr. T, Cyndy Lauper, Trump - but usually the real success has been wrestling talent on top. 

Rousey can be good - but not sure she will be by April. 

The old formula though was to use the celebrities to draw in casual fans and then try to keep them around with great wrestling/story telling.

Mr T didn't face Hogan for the title.
Lauper wasn't pinning Moolah.
Trump wasn't chasing the 24/7 champion.

Lesnar v Reigns could be a legit match, without the Rumble. There's enough story there to build it up.

Rousey v Lynch could be a legit match, without the Rumble OR the title. Rousey coming back to fight "Big Time" Becks, who is only Big Time because of a shoddy count/pinfall, sells itself. Becky could have dropped the title to Bianca here. Then save Sasha's return for the Rumble match, she wins the thing and BOOM we get a second women's match with some heat as we run back Banks v Belair for the title. Charlotte defends against Lita, maybe even in an Extreme Rules match to really make it believable that Lita has a shot and now holy shit, you have 3 legit women's matches for your two day show.

Ripley can win the women's Battle Royal and go after Charlotte following Mania, essentially swapping her and Sasha on the rosters. Sasha then faces the winner of Becky/Ronda, depending on how long Ronda is hanging around and again, you have established main event talent that can face off, not just for titles, but in big time matches built on rivalries and competition.

It's not that hard...

• Like 4

One of the issues with WWE is the only performers who will ever become true main eventers are those anointed by Vince. Eventually upper midcarders reach this weird purgatory where they are established and above secondary title level but below Brock/Roman. Its really glaring when you watch the Rumble as these talents come out and are presented as threats to win. Yet the fans have been conditioned to know that’s impossible. 

I enjoyed the mixed tag match. It felt familiar. Like I was watching a random 2007 ppv. Edge/Miz still remember how to put together an entertaining WWE style match.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, paintedbynumbers said:

With VInce's mom dying I am kind of shocked Shane would even appear. I mean his Grandma just died. It makes me wonder if Vince was backstage as if nothing even happened. 

Respectfully, it did happen over a week before the event. And they likely didn't want to mourn in public. Vince's older brother passed away recently as well.

12 hours ago, The Idiot King said:

It's duller, for sure. 99-00's WCW felt a lot more like a sinking ship with each passing week, but it always had a glimmer of, "Okay, fuck it, we're starting from scratch, maybe THIS wild idea will work." 2022 WWE just feels like it will endlessly coast, never dying or ever getting any better. Kind of like the Simpsons.

WWE and The Simpsons is probably the most apt comparison. Just a hollow husk of a once great concept that offers nothing new artistically but generates so much money off pure inertia that it will lumber on until one of the irreplaceable parts (Vince or one of the core 5 voice actors) is physically unable to continue working. At least WCW had a proper flame-out. I'd watch every hour of WCW from the finger poke to the end before I watched every hour of any given year of WWE since 2016.

Anyway, I did check out the Rumble with some friends. Not sure if it was the worst ever (95, 99, 11, and 15 are serious contenders for that honor), but it is the first Rumble that makes me want to actively avoid Mania.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Respectfully, it did happen over a week before the event. And they likely didn't want to mourn in public. Vince's older brother passed away recently as well.

Didn’t his mother die on the one year anniversary of Rod’s death? He died in Jan 2021.

• Like 1

Why does it seem like every year after Royal Rumble, the fans are at their most disappointed at the booking/ overall quality? Every year WWE seems to fuck it up. Sometimes they correct it by Wrestlemania, sometimes they don't, but fucking up Royal Rumble seems to be the rule rather than the exception!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Go2Sleep said:

WWE and The Simpsons is probably the most apt comparison. Just a hollow husk of a once great concept that offers nothing new artistically but generates so much money off pure inertia that it will lumber on until one of the irreplaceable parts (Vince or one of the core 5 voice actors) is physically unable to continue working. At least WCW had a proper flame-out. I'd watch every hour of WCW from the finger poke to the end before I watched every hour of any given year of WWE since 2016.

Anyway, I did check out the Rumble with some friends. Not sure if it was the worst ever (95, 99, 11, and 15 are serious contenders for that honor), but it is the first Rumble that makes me want to actively avoid Mania.

Those Royal Rumbles you mentioned along with 2014 and 2022 are the contenders for worst Royal Rumble matches. 2015 would be my pick as a blatant fuck you to the fanbase with the returning Daniel Bryan eliminated early as Shattered Dreams comes up on the Titantron, Kane/Big Show are booked to be dominant and the winner Roman Reigns is booed with Rock's reaction to that as he raises Roman's arm.

• Like 1

That 2015 Rumble being in Philly didn't help it at all.  Extremely shortsighted by them to dump Bryan and shoehorn Reigns.  I'm shocked no one would think that Philly miiiiiight not be the place to do that, lol, I live in Philly so I know what kind of mutants we can be but this reaction almost felt deserved.

• Like 1