DVDVR Message Board

Royal Rumble XXXV - 1/29/2022

Dolfan in NYC

Just now, Niners Fan in CT said:

Wow the WWE's roster as a whole...   just meh up and down.   They released way too many people.  There's zero depth. 

Roman/Lesnar #345 and Ronda/Charlotte supposed to sell out Dallas for two shows? 

Bring in some luchadors. Or use the ones you have. 

• Like 1

do we want to know the original plan for this month if Reigns/Lesnar happened at Day 1? or the original plan if Kofi was able to avoid being eliminated tonight?

Unless I missed the news, they did manage to avoid melting the Wrestlemania sign during the 2nd pyro display, so there's that.

Doudrop/Becky was the best match. No contest. And I actually enjoyed Bad Bunny's appearance. And certainly Ivory's. (I was actually an RTC mark back in the day entirely because of her and Stevie Richards)

I predicted (to my dismay) the entire show's results days ago though. Including Roman costing Brock the title, then Brock being #30 in the Rumble. EXCEPT... I thought Reigns would pin Rollins and not get DQed. But close enough. And I predicted Gulak would enter the Rumble and be thrown out in three seconds. But he wasn't in. :(

In fact, here's a list of every non-injured person on the main roster who they left off the card entirely (despite Shane doing nothing in the Rumble):

Men:

Akira Tozawa
Angel Garza
Apollo Crews
Cedric Alexander
Cesaro
Commander Azeez
Drew Gulak
Elias
Erik
Finn Balor
Humberto Carillo
Ivar
Jey Uso
Jimmy Uso
Jinder Mahal
Mace
Mansoor
Mustafa Ali
R-Truth
Shanky
Shelton Benjamin
T-Bar
Veer

Women:

Alexa Bliss
Xia Li

51 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

I was allowing myself to consider the idea that Lesnar wasn't losing the belt tonight because his match was slightly earlier than anticipated

But for what was essentially hot shot booking (partially thanks to COVID), it could have worked out in a dumber way so far?

Gotta love Bobby Lashley slapping hands going up the aisle after winning the title due to interference though

That last part is so telling.

Bobby should be absolutely dirty with Reigns for taking away from what was meant to be HIS moment.

Now he still hasn't been able to prove himself against Lesnar, and may not ever get that chance.

FMD they are just clueless when it comes to booking this stuff.

• Like 2

On 1/13/2022 at 1:54 AM, Dolfan in NYC said:

Disappointing? Guessing someone who's already been champ multiple times winning (Charlotte & Sheamus jump instantly to mind).  Or Brock jumping in and winning after losing the strap earlier. 

At this point though, I'd say the heavy money favorite is Big E winning and challenging the winner of Brock/Bobby.

Wow. Nailed it! Dolfstradamus strikes again!

So, does this count as proof that WWE "Creative" literally books their shows by sitting around asking "What would be the most disappointing thing that could happen?"

On 1/13/2022 at 11:34 PM, Chaos said:

Why do I get the sneaking suspicion that we're getting Ronda Rousey entering this Rumble and winning?

Also nailed it! 

See, here I'm now sitting by myself, uh, er, talking to myself. That's, that's chaos theory.

Watched the Rumble while chatting online MST3K style with a small group of wrestling friends. And so, I enjoyed myself for four hours.

The actually wrestling, per se, was all really good. The set was amazing. It was cool to see, like, Molly and Ivory agan.

But - Good Lord! - the non-stop swooping camera cuts and corporate-speak. Yikes. And, uh, the booking. Oh me, oh my.

Might watch the WWE Rambo again next year, but this particular iteration of Sports Entertainment is very much not for me.

I'm kinda sad, but also kinda relieved, that it seems like basically no one anywhere really enjoyed this show. 

Edited by Gordlow

of course the 'fun' part of the "WWE thinned their roster too much and hurt them at the Rumble" thing is that while there were a few impact guys who got released or departed in the last year that could have been pretty good tonight (Daniel Bryan Danielson, Braun, maybe Jeff Hardy if he wasn't trying to get out, possibly some more people on the men's side.. and a few in the thinned out women's battle royal), the rest would have been guys that either were considered as much filler as the current guys

so, have a lot of talent and get accused of hording, release some of the talent and get accused of making the roster too thin.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Cobra Commander said:

of course the 'fun' part of the "WWE thinned their roster too much and hurt them at the Rumble" thing is that while there were a few impact guys who got released or departed in the last year that could have been pretty good tonight (Daniel Bryan Danielson, Braun, maybe Jeff Hardy if he wasn't trying to get out, possibly some more people on the men's side.. and a few in the thinned out women's battle royal), the rest would have been guys that either were considered as much filler as the current guys

so, have a lot of talent and get accused of hording, release some of the talent and get accused of making the roster too thin.

WWE: damned if you do and dawned if you don't

Or, to quote Bart Simpson: "can't win. Don't try." 

4 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

WWE: damned if you do and dawned if you don't

Or, to quote Bart Simpson: "can't win. Don't try." 

yeah, pretty much that.. it seems like it should be difficult to simultaneously have nobody actually be over, but also have the releases be a huge problem, when quite a few of the releases in the last year wouldn't have moved the dial much

Was also probably a good move to not bring Stardust out tonight. Although Cody could have claimed the Rumble drew 44k due to anticipation of his appearance

5 minutes ago, The Natural said:

strange how that was the one shot that Kevin Dunn let breathe all night

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

I got gallows humour seeing that Sasha Banks video package after what happened to her in the Royal Rumble match earlier. Right hand does not know what the left hand is doing.

That was so bizarre.

Imagine if, instead of bringing Sasha back on SDL, they played that promo and then had her out at #1?

Or saved her for this week's SDL to avoid the stinky situation of her being thrown out so soon.

Give that spot to Mandy Rose for a little shine on NXT.

Just insanely shortsighted booking.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Ziggy said:

Wasn't Melina in either the last Royal Rumble or the year before?

checking Wikipedia and Cagematch.. tonight was her first match of any kind in the WWE since 2011. But she did appear at Raw Reunion in 2019 and on a Raw Legends Night last January.

The 2021 Women's Rumble entrants who didn't enter tonight: Alexa Bliss, Bayley, Billie Kay, Dakota Kai, Ember Moon, Jillian Hall, Lacey Evans, Lana, Mandy Rose, Nia Jax, Peyton Royce, Ruby Riott, Santana Garrett, Toni Storm, Torrie Wilson, and Victoria

Or.. maybe doing something soon?, injury, released, still around?, released, legend?, injury, released, still around, released, released, AEW, AEW, released, legend, and legend. The 2021 Women's Rumble is at least 1/3rd of the current Impact Wrestling women's division, isn't it?

• Like 2

Molly Holly is being credited/blamed for agenting the women's Rumble. She was also coincidentally involved in one of the better parts of the Rumble that'll likely go nowhere where Nikki jumped her before she entered the match. Usually offense over gimmick theft doesn't have the more recent gimmick initiating the attack, but there's potential in "Nikki doesn't know that the Molly wasn't trying to rip her off" concept.

Also looking at the Wikipedia entry, Brock worked all of 2:30 in the Rumble. Last year Strowman entered at 30 and worked 7 minutes.

Bad Bunny went 7 minutes, longer than over half the field. But it might not be fair to compare most of the roster to an elite athlete like Bad Bunny.

This show reminded me why I don’t really follow WWE anymore. That men’s Rumble match was just… ugh. Reigns vs Lesnar was spread out over three fucking matches basically. Ridiculous. Bad Bunny, Johnny Knoxville and Shane McMahon in this thing?

Just sell the company already.

Not a bad way to pass 4 boring hours at work, though. We had a fun time hate watching it.