DVDVR Message Board

Royal Rumble XXXV - 1/29/2022

Dolfan in NYC

6 minutes ago, hammerva said:

Brock winning the Rumble seems bad but when you see the state of the people in the Rumble they really have no choice.   They are trying to push Madcap Moss as a star by eliminating AJ Styles of all people  they are so bankrupt a roster right now

really the only way they could have had a more dramatic ending would involve Rollins at 28 or 29, but if you're bringing back the guy who lost a title match and a different guy who didn't win the WT, you kinda can't have them touch unless you're either doing Rollins/Reigns/Lesnar or making people think you could do that.

Also I guess Orton could have lasted slightly longer (or longer than Riddle) before going out.

But Brock worked 10 minutes for one match and then another 5 minutes for the Rumble. So.

1 minute ago, Hector said:

God bless naive Midwesterners. If they held that show any other place there would have been a mini nerd riot with how shitty that show was.

Yeah I can't think of many places besides St. Louis where Big E getting eliminated by Orton would be a positive thing for the crowd

Just now, hammerva said:

It will be fascinating to see how they promote Charlotte vs Rousey given how unlikeable both of them are now.   They probably will have to put Sasha or Becky in the match 

Yeah, like Daniel Bryan was added to Randy Orton vs. Batista at WrestleMania XXX.

2 minutes ago, Hector said:

God bless naive Midwesterners. If they held that show any other place there would have been a mini nerd riot with how shitty that show was.

by sheer numbers, 15715 in Pittsburgh in 2014 has an easier time turning into a mad crowd than (officially) 44,390 in a dome (but if they sold close to 40000 legit, there's a shot that shitty abandoned dome might get another big show).

11 minutes ago, hammerva said:

Brock winning the Rumble seems bad but when you see the state of the people in the Rumble they really have no choice.   They are trying to push Madcap Moss as a star by eliminating AJ Styles of all people  they are so bankrupt a roster right now

It's a glaring example about how everyone on the roster not named Roman Reigns, Brock Lesnar, or Bobby Lashley has about as much heat as two hour old bathwater. As the Rumble went on I kept thinking about who was going to potentially win, but no one had been built up at all. Big E, AJ Styles, and Kevin Owens were all people I thought might have a chance, but they all got tossed pretty unceremoniously.

1 minute ago, Guest lounging said:

That's been a problem for years! Was that Kofi elminaton a botch?

I was thinking the same thing. It looked like they were trying to play it off and have him go ahead with a spot, but it was too obvious his feet hit the floor.

3 minutes ago, hammerva said:

It will be fascinating to see how they promote Charlotte vs Rousey given how unlikeable both of them are now.   They probably will have to put Sasha or Becky in the match 

It reminds me of that Roman/Cena program where they got the "you both suck" chant at their PPV match.

6 minutes ago, elizium said:

Both of those Rumbles were terrible. The women's match desperately needed some of the NXT wrestlers. 13 of the 30 entrants were "surprise" entrants that had no reasonable hope of winning

For the record, the World's Leading Source of Information, Wikipedia, had 23 announced wrestlers for the Women's Rumble and 25 announced for the men's Rumble at the beginning of the card

The surprise-surprises for the women's Rumble were: Thick Melina, Cameron, Ivory, Alicia Fox, Sarah Logan, Molly Holly, and Rousey

The 5 unannounced entrances for the men's rumble were: Ridge Holland, Drew McIntyre, Bad Bunny, Shane McMahon, and Brock Lesnar. Out of those 5, Bad Bunny was not the worst.

Part of the problem with the Women's Rumble is that it's always padded to hell because they don't have 30 workers on that roster, and they have to bring out the legends and various others to get through that. There's probably a way to get out of holding women's rumbles on the main card without pissing off people, but it'll be tough.

Men's Rumble.. I guess they were close to tapping the limits of the roster if 52 year old Shane made his return and got into the final 4

Roman/Seth was generally good though I didn't like the finish. Made little sense unless they do a rematch at the next Blood Money show. Even then I feel it would have been better to just have Roman beat Seth.

The Women's rumble had some nice spots, but I'm in the I don't really give a fuck about Rousey group. I don't hate her like most, but even though I think she is good, I have damn near zero interest in her vs. Becky. Its especially annoying for me since that feud will turn Becky face again and I think she has actually done good work as a heel the last few months. I did like seeing Ivory come out in the RTC gimmick, Mickie eliminating McCool, the Naomi/Sonya stuff, and most of the Bellas's portion. Still felt like some of the big face eliminations were done poorly. Nikki Ash beating down and eliminating Mighty Molly also kind of sucked since we get no feud there. Charlotte getting in the big face eliminations towards the end to be hated enough so Rousey could be cheered just kind of puts the issues there with Ronda winning the first place.

Becky/Doudrop would have probably been the best match on the show if the audience gave a shit. The work was there, but it was in a death spot and both women being heels didn't help at all.

Miz/Maryse vs. Edge/Beth was oddly one of the most enjoyable things on this show. It more or less went exactly how it needed to.

Lashley/Lesnar started off well but went into usual (and boring) Brock formula fast. I surprisingly did like the fuck finish despite wanting no Brock/Roman rematch.

Men's Rumble went from generally forgettable with some decent spots to fucking terrible with the last 5-7 entrants. The crowd fucking died when Kofi was eliminated. You can tell that was a massive fuck up. It took Bad Bunny, Shane, and Orton to perk the audience back up somewhat. That said, Shane getting a spot was dumbass, and that comes from someone who likes Shane. Bad Bunny's spots were alright. He was a nice surprise though I kind of wish he was in earlier. The RKBro portion was nice but short-lived. Brock coming in at 30 and winning sucked but didn't surprise me in the slightest. I have no interest in Brock/Roman round 673. 

The lack of any NXT entrants was surprising, and I think the first time in long ass time. Won't say either Rumble would have improved with them though because the issue was in the booking itself. Until WWE is ready to elevate and keep up names who aren't in the same general 5 or so people they have pushed the past five years on the main roster things will not improve. We should never see a repeat of a Wrestlemania main events, and yet this will be the third Brock/Roman main. This was probably the worst ppv I have seen from WWE in a year or two, if not more. 

Edited by Eivion

My MVP of the night is Sasha Banks, for working the Rumble even after finding out she wasn't winning it. Maybe growth is possible.

Big E has to ask for his release. At this point they couldn't possibly shit on him any harder. 

It blows my mind that there are still people that watch this because they think it's good. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

A truly pedestrian, creatively bankrupt show. There were teases of enjoyable things in the women's Rumble, but none of them involve people currently on the roster (Nikki ASH/Molly, the Logan/Liv reunion, Mickie James looking like the best worker in the division despite not being in the company) and all it boiled down to is Ronda going over. And the men's Rumble had nothing enjoyable outside of the two celebrities and a lot of people that should probably look at asking for their release based on this match (or not being in it, looking at you, Finn!). Roman/Seth was good, Becky/Doudrop was as good as an empty arena match could be because nobody in that crowd cared about it, and the mixed tag was alright, but nothing that couldn't have been on Raw. Brock/Lashley was pretty bad before the extracurriculars.

Just, ugh. Why would anyone other than the most diehard of WWE fan have any hope for the future after seeing this shit?

• Like 3

I liked Roman vs Seth , Seth came across as a bad ass in that match tonight. I liked Brock vs Lashley. I didn't have much expectations for anything else so I'm not as disappointed as everyone else. Outside of Bad Bunny everything else sucked in the Rumble 

I suspect Becky/Doudrop probably doesn't get a good crowd if it went before the Women's Rumble either

The order of matches if it went before the Women's Rumble: Reigns/Rollins, Becky/Doudrop, Women's Rumble, Miz/Edge tag, Brock/Lashley, Men's Rumble

Of course, they probably preferred getting Brock a little bit more of a breather with  the tag match going a little while too. I don't know if I would have given Brock/Lashley a spot where Wrestlemania sign was melted by pyro before the match, but that was probably a death slot even without the fuckup

5 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

The surprise-surprises for the women's Rumble were: Thick Melina, Cameron, Ivory, Alicia Fox, Sarah Logan, Molly Holly, and Rousey

I guess surprise isn't the word I wanted, because I was also thinking about the Bellas, Summer Rae, Kelly Kelly, etc. Nostalgia spots I guess I meant? Nearly half your Rumble is not only guaranteed to not win, but also doesn't even get some shine from appearing in the Rumble like say Toxic Attraction or whoever would. Ivory was at least funny and Cameron weirdly helped advance an angle, but any wow factor for seeing any of them is deadened by the fact that there are 8 more nostalgia spots coming up after they get eliminated. With Rousey at least there is a plan, as much as I'm not personally interested in it.

• Like 1