DVDVR Message Board

Royal Rumble XXXV - 1/29/2022

Dolfan in NYC

Meltzer still thinks they're doing Brock-Roman at WM, so.... one of them loses their title then goes on to win the Rumble?  That's my prediction.

I can't see Seth being the one to finally end Roman's reign (pun intended) unless Brock was winning the title on Day One and Roman was going to chase him to WM.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Based on the reported surprises - I am pretty sure the Women's Rumble is closing the show

Agreed though I don't want said person to win. I want Sasha Banks.

13 minutes ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

Meltzer still thinks they're doing Brock-Roman at WM, so.... one of them loses their title then goes on to win the Rumble?  That's my prediction.

I can't see Seth being the one to finally end Roman's reign (pun intended) unless Brock was winning the title on Day One and Roman was going to chase him to WM.

I hope Rollins isn't the one to end the longest WWE Universal Championship reign ever. If one were to lose their title, I think it's Lesnar to Lashley via Reigns/Bloodline getting involved.

Edited by The Natural

Roman vs Rollins was a good match, digged rollins in the Shield gear. Crowd popped for rollins sometimes.

Womens rumble was fun.

I felt Bobbo vs Brock 1 would be screwed up.

Happy Brock won the Rumble.

Even though I think this iteration of Roman is his best character work, the Tribal Chief is fast reaching its sell by date. I also haven't been a fan of Rollin's chaotic evil character but it kind of worked here. All the mind games and digs at Roman, almost making Roman lose his composure when he kept trying to force Roman to destroy him or whatever. I didn't have much interest in this match going in, but ended up really enjoying it. The ending was a bit of a noodle scratcher as I don't see a point to a non-conclusive finish, but in the history of dumb WWE match endings this wasn't that bad.

The Molly Holly/Nikki interaction was nice and it was cool to see Lita again, but the rest of the Divas entrants were a dud. There was no reason for Mrs. Undertaker or The Bellas to be in there for so long. When was the last time another promotion's belt was carried to the ring in a WWE show? When Taz had the ECW title? It was good to see Sara Logan back but sucks she got eliminated so soon. As far as the ending goes, if Rhonda is back full time then great. Otherwise this is just like when they dusted off Goldberg and put the belt on him as an attempted ratings bump; just a fuck you to the rest of the full time roster. If we get Rhonda against Bianca or Rhea at Mania that will at least be potentially interesting.

Becky/Dewdrop was fine.

Lesnar/Lashley was the non-rumble match I had been looking forward to the most. With a few exceptions, Brock has wrestled the same match for five years and is beyond stale, but his recent human-acting schtick has been more interesting and I actually thought he might put forth some effort here. Lashley has been great ever since The Hurt Business and I was hoping we might have a nice hoss fight. Nope, same match Brock has been doing for years now. I guess the fuck finish was their best idea for setting up Roman/Brock at WM yet again.

When Brock lost I started to get the sinking feeling he'd come in near the end of the Rumble and end up winning. By the time the Rumble started to wind down, I no longer cared if he actually did. There was no suspense, no build up, no wrestlers who had been pushed and had potential interesting programs going into WM. They managed to pull off the least interesting outcome possible and have a completely tepid buildup to it.

• Like 1

Solid B+ show until the ending.

What a collosal waste of everyone's time.

No reason this match couldn't be built based on these guys hating each other while someone else gets the rub of winning the Rumble.

I thought they might be trying to get ahead of the HOOK hype by having Riddle win the Rumble but geezus...

Why was Shane in the match?

I gave ya a chance Vince...

Try again next year. Maybe.

• Like 2

lemme run through this..

Rollins/Reigns had a pretty lame finish after they ran through their stuff. Naturally this likely gets sidetracked past Saudimania in a few weeks.

Was nice of them to not give Ronda the 30 spot. Melina looks thick. Mickie James got to stick around for awhile. Charlotte gets to eliminate a few people. I'm gonna start a rumor that the finish was botched in the spirit of the people who thought the Three Way match finish got botched.

Becky Lynch vs Doudrop had awful timing on the card. Not because the sign melted. But because they just did a women's battle royal for an hour, and then the women's title match directly after that.

Bobby Lashley is the champion, Roman Reigns interfered, Paul Heyman turned again.

Edge/Beth vs Miz/Maryse was goodish, but why the fuck was it that long. I guess you don't wanna job in under 10 minutes while teaming with your wife.

BTW, the Rumble starts after 10pm Central time because every god damn match has to go 10 matches, with the shortest match being Brock Lesnar (who might have a concerning growth on his nose) being in the shortest match.

The main Rumble was sorta there until the stretch run. Omos got to be a threat for a few minutes. AJ lasted awhile until he didn't. One of the final spots was used on fucking Shane McMahon. I guess there was technically drama with Lesnar and McIntyre, but a final four of Shane, Riddle, Brock, and McIntyre isn't exactly dramatic. I guess Rollins couldn't logically come back later in the night since you can't have both WT losers come back in the main event without the show coming off like a Memphis spot show where you get 4 matches out of 6 guys with a battle royal at the end

So Brock probably faces Reigns in 2 months. Bobby Lashley faces someone in a match we won't really pay attention to. Rollins/Reigns at Saudimania?

Also, how many fucking cameramen does this company have? because it's directed like Kevin Dunn has ADHD.

Royal Rumbles are kinda one match shows, but when that one match goes for an hour, you can do something with that.

2 minutes ago, sabremike said:

Do people understand that the people at Fox paying them more money than the GDP of France wanted Rousey back?

Doesn't mean that we have to like that that shithead is back.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Both of those Rumbles were terrible. The women's match desperately needed some of the NXT wrestlers. 13 of the 30 entrants were "surprise" entrants that had no reasonable hope of winning. It's getting to be like when they'd repeatedly trot out the same crew of Dibiase, Slaughter, etc. whenever they needed legends spots in backstage segments. Ivory was literally the only fun appearance.

The men's match was just a bunch of fodder and a bunch of dudes that have been spinning their wheels for literal years upon years.

Really disappointed in Lesnar/Lashley. Figured he'd be the one dude that could get Lesnar out of his formula.

• Like 1