DVDVR Message Board

Royal Rumble XXXV - 1/29/2022

Dolfan in NYC

Are there any smarky WWE fans left?

I feel like any kind of smark/mark will have transitioned to AEW. At best they might stream the Rumble but I don't know if they are gonna pay for a seat to watch it live.

I'm tipping Rousey for the Women's Rumble. She chases Lynch.
I'll go Big E for the Men's Rumble. He chases Lashley who beats Lesnar earlier in the night.

All in all, it will be a totally uneventful but solid B+ show.

17 hours ago, L_W_P said:

I feel like any kind of smark/mark will have transitioned to AEW. At best they might stream the Rumble but I don't know if they are gonna pay for a seat to watch it live.

I know this can be hard to believe... but people are allowed to be fans of, and spend money on, both companies. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

I know this can be hard to believe... but people are allowed to be fans of, and spend money on, both companies. 

In particular a Rumble or Mania crowd. I suspect that your average Raw taping or live event has a somewhat high percent of casual / non-AEW fans. But at least if you take me as an example, I haven't watched a main roster WWE show in like a year but if the Rumble was in town I'd definitely go. A Danhausen cameo on Saturday or whatever would've gotten a big pop, too. The average Raw not so much.

Edited by For Great Justice

6 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

OH for sure, I get that.

I just feel like the real super smarks, the kind of people that would go to a show to troll/chant/entertain themselves, would have all migrated over to AEW exclusively.

Back when WWE was the only real option, sure. Go along and make some noise but now that AEW is around? Why waste the money/energy?

This may be the least excited I've ever been for a Rumble.  Maybe because a lot of my favorites have gone to AEW, maybe because the mystery of "will Punk be a surprise"  is now gone.  Maybe because the winner STILL doesn't get to main event Mania, especially with it now being 2 nights.

Hell the only thing that's for sure about winning  the Rumble is that you won't be released until after April

• Like 1

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

I can easily see fans buying tickets to troll another company's show, especially on "ppv", doubly so if we are talking about the smark HQ of the East Coast corridor (Boston to DC). 

That's "Premium Live Event" to you.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, paintedbynumbers said:

This may be the least excited I've ever been for a Rumble.  Maybe because a lot of my favorites have gone to AEW, maybe because the mystery of "will Punk be a surprise"  is now gone.  Maybe because the winner STILL doesn't get to main event Mania, especially with it now being 2 nights.

Hell the only thing that's for sure about winning  the Rumble is that you won't be released until after April

The whole night is all about Brock vs Lashley. That's all.

• Like 1

There's all these wierd non-talent announcements, of people who are "going to be in St Louis on Rumble weekend". Like Kurt Angle and the Undertaker. And, like, Aksana.

Perhaps they're going to do HoF announcements on the Premium Live Event as well.

Intercontinental Champion Shinsuke Nakamura

Rick Boogs 

Ricochet

Omos

Randy Orton

Riddle

Raw Tag Team Champion Otis

Raw Tag Team Champion Chad Gable

Dolph Ziggler

Robert Roode

Kevin Owens

Big E

AJ Styles

United States Champion Damian Priest

Johnny Knoxville

Sami Zayn 

Kofi Kingston 

Happy Corbin

Madcap Moss

Sheamus

Angelo Dawkins

Montez Ford

Rey Mysterio

Dominik Mysterio

Austin Theory

OK. My guesses for the final five are

Spoiler

Ridge Holland, GUNTHER, Bron Breakker, and the losers from Rollins/Reigns/Lesnar/Lashley. With an outside shot of Grayson Waller.

Edited by Iron Moose

On 1/26/2022 at 4:32 PM, L_W_P said:

I think the traveling British fans are allowed back in the country, so if any group is gonna be snarky at WWE shows

Anyways, a brief list of non-Sunday Royal Rumbles

• Tomorrow/today the 29th (the NFL added a week and the WWE moved to Saturday to avoid running the Rumble in February)
  • Royal Rumble 1994 (the NFL added a week and the WWF moved to Saturday to avoid them)
  • Royal Rumble 1991 (on a Saturday because the NFL didn't have a bye week between the conference championships and the Super Bowl. Also they were in Miami and the Dolphins weren't out of the playoffs until the week before the Rumble)

The Rumble has been bumped by both the first NFL bye week (1990), the year the NFL had two bye weeks (1993), and the first 17 game NFL season (2021)

Now if tomorrow/today's Rumble ends with two winners, or Tenryu/Kabuki show up to help Roman Reigns put Seth Rollins in a casket, then we'll show they just dusted off the ideas from the last Saturday Rumble.

I'm using the "tomorrow/today" thing since while it's Saturday and all, it's not really Saturday until I go to sleep, take that time.

• Like 1

Be interesting to see the Iron Man and Iron Woman. I'm hoping this is the first Royal Rumble a woman goes an hour. A man hasn't since Chris Jericho, 2017 in a traditional 30 man Royal Rumble match. I'd like the Women's Royal Rumble to go on last, it hasn't since the first in 2018. To me, a Royal Rumble match should always main event.