DVDVR Message Board

2022 STUFF ABOUT SPORTS MEDIA THREAD

Gonzo

From the Arstechnica article about it:

Beyond Friday Night Baseball, Apple will offer a 24/7 livestream of highlights, replays, news, and talking heads for subscribers in the US and Canada. Apple TV+ subscribers can also tune into "MLB Big Inning," which Apple describes as a "live show featuring highlights and look-ins airing every weeknight during the regular season."

Most notably, "Friday Night Baseball" will be available in all markets—local broadcast restrictions will not apply to Apple's new service.

Apple TV+ subscribers can also tune into "MLB Big Inning," which Apple describes as a "live show featuring highlights and look-ins airing every weeknight during the regular season."

You know, for years there's been a channel on my cable that's called MLB Strike Zone, which in the description sounds like MLB meets RedZone... which, awesome!   

Though I've never, ever seen it go on.  This sounds like the same thing, but just on Apple+. 

The problem with Strike Zone was that it was only on one day of the week.  I think it was Tuesday.   While that makes sense in football, it is kind of stupid in baseball.   At least show it 3 times a week.    Not like there are days with only 2 games played in a day.     Now I don't know if there was a Direct TV version that ran every day or not

Edited by hammerva

FYI - MLB also struck a deal with NBC to stream some games on Peacock

In addition to their deal with Apple, MLB has also finalized a streaming rights deal with NBC Sports, reports Mike Ozanin of Forbes. NBC will purchase the rights to the Monday Night Baseball and Wednesday Night Baseball packages that ESPN did not include in its new deal with MLB. Those games will “mainly” be streamed on NBC’s Peacock streaming service, though specific broadcast details have not yet been announced by MLB or by NBC.

Former ESPN anchor Alan Massengale has died, his former TV station KCBS reported. He was 63.

Massengale was diagnosed with colon cancer more than six years ago and was placed on life support after suffering a brain bleed following a slip and fall.

Massengale was a SportsCenter anchor in the 1980s. His time at ESPN was followed by stints at Fox Sports and Los Angeles TV stations KCBS and KCAL 9.

It was at KCBS that Massengale became the first host of CBSLA's Sports Central show. He was also an avid boxing fan and worked ringside for fights.

Following his 2015 cancer diagnosis, Massengale shared updates about his treatment and became a vocal advocate for colonoscopies, frequently urging his followers on social media to get the preventative checks.

Nicknamed "The Legend," the Florida native was a University of Georgia alumnus and was announced as a 2022 Fellow of his alma mater's school of journalism.

According to close friend Jeff Muzzy, legendary ESPN broadcaster and analyst John Clayton passed away earlier today.  You haven't lived in the world of ESPN without seeing John Clayton all over the product with great quality.   At the very least he left us with one of the best ESPN commercials ever

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

• 2 weeks later...
51 minutes ago, hammerva said:

I won't mention it in the NFL off-season thread after Dwayne Haskins passing but man fuck Gil Brandt sideways until he rots.

And Adam Schefter can try a little harder too

Fuck all of these people.  The man is dead, and these asshats could just offer condolences to their families like human beings, but nope they have to have to add their bullshit into it.  Seriously, I don't understand how a 24-year-old dies tragically and you have any other opinion than how terrible it is for anyone to die that young.  Haskins is someone I rotted for at Ohio State, and hoped he'd get a chance to be the Steelers quarterback this year.  He was really talented and any problems he had were the kind of problems any early-20-year old could face.  I hate that his life was cut short at such a young age.  The biggest gift any of us have at that age is the opportunity to grow into better men, and he sadly won't have that opportunity.

1 hour ago, hammerva said:

I won't mention it in the NFL off-season thread after Dwayne Haskins passing but man fuck Gil Brandt sideways until he rots.

And Adam Schefter can try a little harder too

Gil Brandt needs to rot. 

And screw Adam. For a guy who has sold his credibility and isn't respected, he sure was eager to criticize how another man's career has unfolded. 

Edited by Tabe