DVDVR Message Board

2022 STUFF ABOUT SPORTS MEDIA THREAD

Gonzo

On 2/9/2022 at 1:44 PM, hammerva said:

Welcome to the true definition of hell

Not gonna lie.  This is going to get me to watch First Take on Wednesdays.  

I'd probably watch Fridays too if Francessa was the guest host.  Mostly because i am e-v-i-l and like to gawk at car crashes.

You wouldn't think in 2022 you'd hear a sports talk radio host say "take off your top" about a female celebrity, but... when it's Craig Carton, not surprised. 

(Disclaimer: when I unplugged my iPad from the car stereo, the radio switched on and FAN was on. I would not willingly listen to a show with him as host.) 

• Like 1

On 2/23/2022 at 5:31 PM, Brian Fowler said:

Heavy rumors that Troy Aikman is ESPN bound for MNF

If it's just him and Levy or him and ... somebody else ... it should be a big improvement over the Levy/Griese/Riddick triumverate.  I still can't believe how terrible they were together.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tabe said:

If it's just him and Levy or him and ... somebody else ... it should be a big improvement over the Levy/Griese/Riddick triumverate.  I still can't believe how terrible they were together.

Phil Mushnick has asked the following question forever and has yet to hear anyone answer in the affirmative: Does anyone actually tune into a sporting event because of the announce team?

If I've got a choice of matches that I don't have a rooting interest in, then the one I watch/listen to will be based on which commentary team I like better; but I'd never just put a sporting event that I otherwise wouldn't watch/listen to just for the commentary.

I have definitely been up late (3am, GMT) for MNF and thought "fuck this, I'm going to bed" because Brian Griese opened his mouth.

• Like 2

What I find odd about the current MNF team is that I don't find any of them bad individually. Like, they don't tend to say mind splittingly dumb things particularly often. But they just seem to have absolutely no chemistry together. (Though, to be fair, they've actually gotten generally pretty positive reviews together, so who knows.)

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
5 hours ago, sabremike said:

Phil Mushnick has asked the following question forever and has yet to hear anyone answer in the affirmative: Does anyone actually tune into a sporting event because of the announce team?

Hi, I announced for like fifteen years.

The answer is no.

A good announce team will enhance your viewing experience, and if you have no true rooting interest in your choice of game, perhaps it may sway which one you watch (see the above responses for the examples), but very rarely will people track down which announcer is working which game and specifically watch a game for that announcer. Especially not over one in which they have a rooting interest. The people who do that are dorks like me who do that to study announcing styles, and I swear I don't do that anymore now that I'm retired from announcing. I promise. Don't look at me like that.

Now don't get it twisted, a bad announce team will ruin the viewing experience, and cause people to mute the announcers at best or switch the game off at worst, so you need good announcers. But that's similar to why a restaurant will get good quality wine to pair with its dishes.

In the relatively rare situation of Buck calling the game at the same time as CBS has a game on, and the Lions aren't playing, I would almost certainly choose whichever game is on CBS in order to avoid Buck.

But I've never chosen to not watch football because he's calling the only game on, or whatever.

My grandpa used to watch sports with the sound off.  He claimed the announcers "couldn't tell him anything he couldn't figure out himself".

My wife thinks its weird that I listen to music while I have sports on tv muted.  I don't do that for games I'm really interested in, but I will if it's just something that I have on.

When I was a kid, we were Southern Illinois basketball fans.  Those days (early 90's), they might get on ESPN like twice a year if we were lucky.  Most of the time, though, we'd mute the tv and listen to the local radio guys call of the game.

From what I understand, the NFL is very vocal about how their games are presented and a lot of these moves are due to the amount of pressure the league puts on the networks.  No one watches because of the announcers, but if the NFL doesn't like your announcers you are going to find that your games aren't the best.  They really care about 4 o'clock games, primetime games, and playoff games.  If you have shitty announcers, when the schedule comes out you are going to find that you have a couple weeks in a row where your best game is Jags-Texans and Jets-Cardinals.  It's not an accident that we remember so many John Madden/Pat Summerall games, it's because they were always being rewarded with the best assignments.  I know a lot of people don't like Joe Buck, but until Tony Romo came around, Buck and Aikman got a disproportionate number of the biggest games.  CBS dropped Phil Simms like a lead balloon, because the NFL didn't think he was presenting their product as well as they would have liked.  It's the same reason Romo makes more money now than he did as a player, the NFL is a ratings monster, but they also make the schedule.  Sure, you can make a lot of money with any NFL game, but every team gets to play in primetime at least once a year.  If you want the Cowboys, Packers, and Chiefs you better have announcers worthy of those games or you are going to find yourself showing the Jags, Titans, and Cardinals.  

As far back as I can remember almost everyone in Pittsburgh turned down the sound on the tv and listened to the Stillers announcers on WTAE or WDVE. We moved from Pittsburgh to Detroit before the 1988 season and were out of WTAE's radio range(still got the Bucco's & Pens on KDKA at night) so we were forced to listen to Bob Trumpy, Paul McGuire, Sam Wyche, and in rare occasions John Madden openly root against the Steelers, I went back and watch some old games on YouTube and it's insane how hostile Bob Trumpy was towards the Steelers.

• Like 2

This isn't about sports but was about sports at one point in time

When I last checked - most of those sites had no new content since Monday.

Notice the "new" version of Deadspin is not representing by the union

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

This isn't about sports but was about sports at one point in time

When I last checked - most of those sites had no new content since Monday.

Notice the "new" version of Deadspin is not representing by the union

Nu-Deadspin workers are in the Onion union.

Report: Apple mulling bid for NFL Sunday Ticket package

The past two decades have seen Apple transform itself from a maker of expensive computers to a hardware, software, and entertainment Goliath. Live sports may be next on the agenda—according to a report in Front Office Sports, Apple is eying a multibillion-dollar bid for the National Football League's Sunday Ticket package.

Sunday Ticket, which broadcasts out-of-market NFL games, has been carried by Directv since its launch in 1994. The rights to Sunday Ticket expire after the 2022 season, and with Directv hemorrhaging both subscribers and money, Sunday Ticket is going to have a new home for the 2023 season.

In addition to selling the rights to Sunday Ticket, the NFL is also seeking an investment partner for NFL Media, which includes the league's website, NFL Network, and NFL RedZone. Apple would also become a minority shareholder in NFL Media, in addition to getting the streaming rights to out-of-market NFL games.