DVDVR Message Board

NXT "New Year's Evil" (January 4, 2022)

RIPPA

Strong vs Hayes was pretty solid cruiserweight action. Hayes is still a little green on the wrasslin stuff but clearly a great athlete. Not sure what that top rope move was even meant to be. Is Roddy gonna be the next bye-bye?

6-man was a blast. Never became truly epic but I had a lot of fun. Kinda wish they'd let Riddle be more than just Randy Orton's Tag Partner though.

Grayson Waller literally has 1 win on TV and is throwing out the 'biggest win of my career' trope line. AJ should have retorted it would have been the only win of his career.

Main event was nice and got VERY nice by the end. That slam through the announce table looked awesome. Bron rules, but it's so fucking weird that they still won't say the word STEINER on TV like it's a curse word or something. The guy literally won with a Diving Bulldog and Steiner Recliner and they called him the Dog Faced Gremlin, but can't bring themselves to actually acknowledge he is who he is. Such a mind-boggling half-way commitment. Is there heat between the 'E and the Steiners?

Edited by killsteve

1 hour ago, killsteve said:

Strong vs Hayes was pretty solid cruiserweight action. Hayes is still a little green on the wrasslin stuff but clearly a great athlete. Not sure what that top rope move was even meant to be. Is Roddy gonna be the next bye-bye?

He signed an extension, so probably not. 

36 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Here's the top rope spot in question, fwiw

It's maybe the perfect wrestling spot.  I was like,"Huh."

• Like 1

11 hours ago, username said:

So does anyone have any explanation as to what that avalanche spot was supposed to be in Hayes/Strong as I am still completely baffled by it.

Pretty sure it was a top rope version of Pete Dunne's X-Plex. 

14 minutes ago, w. josh said:

Pretty sure it was a top rope version of Pete Dunne's X-Plex. 

Except the person taking the bump (Hayes) made the pinfall attempt. So if that was the intent, it def doesn't make any sense.

I think the idea was a top rope DDT to counter the superplex but when they went to go for it Hayes completely forgot and still went with the normal superplex bump. Roddy took the DDT bump. It defied physics and they are very lucky no one got hurt.

I watched everything after the first 30 ish minutes. You know how AEW shows have that thing where they fly by, and you have no idea how 2 hours have passed? This didn't have that. The Ringkampf vs 2 Rascalz and a sex pest match was a step down from what Walter (and MSK) was doing pre-WWE, but it was OK. The women's match's entrances being Skateboard vs Motorbike vs Helicopter was more interesting than the bell to bell, and I preferred Elayna Black's indie "Goth Spider Lady with Tarot Cards" gimmick to her NXT neon skater look. Then there were promos and they were boring and I couldn't tell who the heels were. The guy pretending to be Edge pretended to be Brian Pillman, and wasn't convincing at all. The main event had lots of youngster vs veteran energy  because Tomasso Ciampa looks weirdly 70.

• Rick Steiner told Sports Illustrated that watching his son win the NXT Championship was one of the best moments of his life: “I hope he’s even more successful than myself and his uncle. We had such a special time traveling the road as brothers, but this tops all of that. This is his time and his chance to carry the torch. Watching that match was one of the best moments of my life. As his father, I couldn’t be prouder, and so is our whole family.”
  • Breakker spoke to CBS Sports and said he doesn’t think his win against Tommaso Ciampa was the nail in the coffin for the veterans in NXT: "I don't think it's a nail in the coffin or anything like that. We're just shifting from black and gold to 2.0. Tommaso is going to be around. I'm sure that he and I will cross paths again. That will happen at some point in time whether it's now or later. It's going to happen again. I'm looking forward to it. It's just a shift. Those guys are going to be here. I'm fully aware that they're here. It ain't going anywhere."

Aww at Rick Steiner's comments.

Walter was looking damn near svelte on Tuesday. I wonder if he's going to stay over for an extended period.

I assume the sleepy lady (Wendy Chu, I think she said her name was) is Karen Q's repackage? I can't imagine how that works out long term. Also what a weird transition from Mei Ying to Boa gaining the "Power"

I overall enjoy the 2.0 shows but they are clearly a work in progress. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Ramo2653 said:

Walter was looking damn near svelte on Tuesday. I wonder if he's going to stay over for an extended period.

I assume the sleepy lady (Wendy Chu, I think she said her name was) is Karen Q's repackage? I can't imagine how that works out long term. Also what a weird transition from Mei Ying to Boa gaining the "Power"

I overall enjoy the 2.0 shows but they are clearly a work in progress. 

Looks like Walter is indeed staying:

• Like 1

10 hours ago, RunningFromAmerica said:

Looks like Walter is indeed staying:

Well, in that case he might as well challenge Steiner right off the bat lest we lose the opportunity to see that match altogether, when Bron is moved over to the main roster in the middle of his title reign, probably.

Edited by Shartnado
Needs more space
  • Like 2

On 1/5/2022 at 3:44 AM, killsteve said:

Main event was nice and got VERY nice by the end. That slam through the announce table looked awesome. Bron rules, but it's so fucking weird that they still won't say the word STEINER on TV like it's a curse word or something. The guy literally won with a Diving Bulldog and Steiner Recliner and they called him the Dog Faced Gremlin, but can't bring themselves to actually acknowledge he is who he is. Such a mind-boggling half-way commitment. Is there heat between the 'E and the Steiners?

Scott is literally banned from WWE events, after he threatened to beat up Hogan at the Hall of Fame a few years ago.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

They had the choice of being either friendly with Scott Steiner, or friendly with Hulk Hogan, and they chose Hogan?

What a bunch of arseholes.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, AxB said:

They had the choice of being either friendly with Scott Steiner, or friendly with Hulk Hogan, and they chose Hogan?

What a bunch of arseholes.

Steiner was openly threatening people and has bitched about WWE and HHH for years. There was never a choice there, and I think you know that..

• Like 1