DVDVR Message Board

NXT "New Year's Evil" (January 4, 2022)

RIPPA

Okay we already sorta lied but this basically a Takeover show posing as a TV show (especially with main roster guys working) so that is gonna get its own thread like a PPV.

• Tommaso Ciampa vs. Bron Breakker - NXT Championship
  • Carmelo Hayes vs. Roderick Strong - North American Championship/Cruiserweight Championship unification match
  • Mandy Rose vs. Raquel Gonzalez vs. Cora Jade - NXT Women's Championship
  • AJ Styles vs. Grayson Waller (it is also possible this will just be a "confrontation" and not a match)
  • Matt Riddle/MSK vs WALTER/Imperium 

I figure one or two more matches will be add via social media

So is AJ going to do the Finn Balor Goodwill Tour?   

That could be a lot of fun.  Especially if/when he gets Bron in his sights.   Two months together would do the kid an unbelievable world of good. 

God, NXT is WORKRATE!  That was a lot of wrestling.  I watched everything but the 3 way (because life is too short for 3-ways).  Carmello/Strong was reallu good even with the baffling spot.  The WALTER six man was awesome.  Steiner regains momentum over Hook in the second generation pseudo-shooter sweepstakes.  WEIRDLY GOOD!

• Like 5

I only caught the last half of the Bron (Stro... wait... Stei... wait) Breakker win and boy that kid is gonna be big if they let him. He reminds me as much of a young Kensuke Sasaki than a young Steiner Brother. And they not only didn't cut back from the blood but ZOOMED IN! 

That whole setup for 2.0 is such an eyesore though. I wasn't sure if things were printed in negative, if they were just clouded in fog, or what. 

• Like 1

Hayes continues to improve. The CW division/205 Live has been dead in the water for a long time now and this belt consolidation was for the best.

I was looking forward to the 6 man as I'm a fan of everyone involved but felt like it could have been better.

I hope the Dusty Classics are good this year. It seems like there are more actual established teams as opposed to just guys thrown together this time around.

So does Ciampa get called up/debut in the Rumble?

6 minutes ago, HumanChessgame said:

Hayes continues to improve. The CW division/205 Live has been dead in the water for a long time now and this belt consolidation was for the best.

I was looking forward to the 6 man as I'm a fan of everyone involved but felt like it could have been better.

I hope the Dusty Classics are good this year. It seems like there are more actual established teams as opposed to just guys thrown together this time around.

So does Ciampa get called up/debut in the Rumble?

In the past Tommaso Ciampa has said he wants to stay in NXT with his neck surgery and the main roster schedule. I see him sticking in NXT with perhaps a Royal Rumble match entry like Pete Dunne and Johnny Gargano when both were in NXT.

13 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

Bron is about as can’t miss as there can conceivably be. An absolute future megastar and their next GUY unless they royally screw this up. 

Looking at WWE's form, WWE will royally fuck this up.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Looking at WWE's form, WWE will royally fuck this up.

We’ll see. This feels different than a Keith Lee or Ricochet. This checks every single box Vince looks for in that spot including being a home grown guy. I’m not even sure “Roman-ing” it by overpushing him would fail as who doesn’t want to cheer for a dude talking shit doing crazy-ass high impact Steiner offense. 

• Like 1

Hayes/Strong was good. Sad to see Strong's reign end, but the Cruiserweight Title never did hit the level it probably should have after WWE pulling off a successful Super J Cup in the CWC. Just never enough care put in until NXT got the belt. Wonder how different things might have been had the belt been aligned to NXT in the first place. 

Imperium vs. Riddle/MSK was great. Everyone looked so damn good. Kind of hope Imperium heads to the main roster to beat Riddle's ass during the Dusty Cup.

The Women's triple threat was probably the worst match on the show and still pretty enjoyable. Was nice seeing everyone just try to win and no team ups. 

Ciampa/Bron was awesome and a great passing of torch. Steiner keeps improving at an insane rate and is so so good already. They really have something in him if they can avoid fucking up his main roster run.

Looking forward to the Dusty Cup. They have some nice teams in NXT right now so it should be good. Hoping the women's variant delivers as well with a few more real teams this time around.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

We’ll see. This feels different than a Keith Lee or Ricochet. This checks every single box Vince looks for in that spot including being a home grown guy. I’m not even sure “Roman-ing” it by overpushing him would fail as who doesn’t want to cheer for a dude talking shit doing crazy-ass high impact Steiner offense. 

I hope so. Bron Breakker was impressive when I was at WWE Live two months ago in a triple threat with Tommaso Ciampa and Sami Zayn for Ciampa's NXT Championship. That was his first UK tour.

• Like 1