DVDVR Message Board

The Criterion Collection

odessasteps

2 minutes ago, nate said:

Ooh in time for the big Barnes & Noble sale too ....

I went to get the new criterion Ghost World at BN but they couldnt find the 1 copy the computer said was in stock. 

On 6/2/2017 at 5:41 PM, odessasteps said:

I went to get the new criterion Ghost World at BN but they couldnt find the 1 copy the computer said was in stock. 

Thanks for reminding me that was out.

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I got my tampopo during a BN sale.

I still need to watch it and ghost world. 

If you haven't seen it before, you should know that TAMPOPO is great, but you *will* see a live turtle beheaded, which is a bit of a shocker. 

Yeah, i saw it in college years ago. I meant i havent watched the disc and extras yet.

i had a chat with the guy at BN about it when i got it. He was saying how surprised he was that it had taken so long for it to be a criterion.

(side note: same BN with the cute salesperson who i dont think i have seen there since the day i chatted her up. Coincidence? :) )

• 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Finally got Before Trilogy today. Only $45 with sale and discount.

I keep going back and forth on that. On one hand, I really want it. On the other, I already own them all and even at half price it's pretty steep.

At the library yesterday, I found DVD Criterion Collection copies of Days of Heaven ($1), Solaris ($1), and the Ingmar Bergman four-pack (Seventh Seal, Virgin Spring, Wild Strawberries and  Smiles of a Summer Night ($3)).  My dad picked up Two Lane Blacktop for $1.  I mean, even if I'm not a huge fan of some of these, that's an insane deal, right?!

TWO LANE BLACKTOP FOR A DOLLAR GODDAMN IT.

Yeah. that's a good deal.

My two big box sets were the BBS story and the Nikkatsu Noir Eclipse set. Then I got several single movie discs. Blow Up, Sweet Movie, Made in USA, Exterminating Angel, Punchdrunk Love, & Makioka Sisters.

My plan to sell shoes to pay for my movie habit is working out so far. Thanks for the movies, Kanye.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, nate said:

May try to squeeze in one more purchase, since whit thing goes to August.

Someone please sell me on:

Punch Drunk Love

Robinson Crusoe on Mars 

Have you seen Punchdrunk Love? Or are you wanting a reason to upgrade from the old release?

Oh shit my wife got me Le Samourai(one of my all time favorites) for Christmas or a birthday. I didn't realize it was out of print now. (She obviously did not buy it for me after the price became insane.)

Okay. Here's some reasons

1. It basically ruined Adam Sandler for everyone that grew up watching him. After this movie everyone wanted him to do more of this. Instead he did Don't Mess With the Zohan. His career hasn't really been the same critically since. 

2. It's a really sweet love story.

3. Phillip Seymor Hoffman is an epic badguy and has an all time classic rant over the phone.

4. The music is really good and the cinematography is really gorgeous sometimes.

5. This is the movie where PTA started to move away from Scorsese rip-off stuff and find his voice that's he'd later perfect in There Will Be Blood and The Master, but the movie remains clearly the most accessible of those three.

6. This one is kinda cryptic because you haven't seen the movie, but it's probably the best live action movie about Superman since I guess the first Richard Donner one.

• Like 2