The Criterion Collection

odessasteps

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 4/26/2018 at 12:26 PM, Control said:

It arrived. Now I really need THE COMPLETE LADY SNOWBLOOD to complete my Criterion trifecta.

EDIT: Criterion trifecta, in this case, is LW&C, ZATOICHI, and SNOWBLOOD.

That's a good trifecta.

• Like 2

I got HOUSE for Father's Day last year and I think I am getting Dragon Inn for Father's Day this year.

I am pleased by this switching of Father's Day tribute from polo shirts to Criterion DVDs.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've realized lately I make enough money that I can add movies to my Criterion set at will, but that also means I make enough money that shit can get really out of hand if I buy everything I want. So I've imposed a 1-movie-a-month limit on myself.Ā 

May wasĀ The Uninvited, which was a fairly good haunted house movie. Really liked Ray Milland and will be interested to getting around to The Lost WeekendĀ one of these days. Gail Russell's career and storyĀ wereĀ fucking tragic and could make an interesting movie.

For June, I grabbedĀ Being There; I only got about halfway through it last night but damn is it good. Hal Ashby had a weird output of movies in the 70s; had no idea he was responsible forĀ Harold & Maude, too.

I thinkĀ sex, lies, and videotapeĀ is going to get the nod for August, but I'm not sure what to pick up for July. Maybe Devil's Backbone, maybeĀ Y Tu Mama Tambien, maybeĀ Le Samourai. I'm open to other suggestions.

But I also went back to something I'd bought ages ago and finally watchedĀ NakedĀ - HOOOOOOOLY SHIT that was the stuff right there. I think I only grabbed it at the time because Mike Leigh wrote & directed it, and I had enjoyedĀ Happy-Go-LuckyĀ quite a bit, but this was a real smack in the face. A lot of movies in the 90s tried to do antiheroes; few of them pulled it off, and even fewer hold up as well as this does. And now I get why people took David Thewlis seriously as an actor (because, let's face it, he's done a passel of either small or forgettable roles for most of the last 20 years, though sometimes I do view guys like him as 'glue' in the way Phil Hartman was for SNL sketches).Ā 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...