DVDVR Message Board

The Criterion Collection

odessasteps

I hit up my nearest B&N Wednesday and got Blus of The Rules of the Game, La Notte, and Sweet Smell of Success. Also Seijun Suzuki's Story of a Prostitute on DVD.

Right now I'm on a countdown till Throne of Blood hits bluray. One of favorite movies?

I haven't purchased outside of a B&N or flash sale for a few years.  My in-laws also go pretty nuts clearing out my Amazon wishlist (which is pretty much all Criterion stuff) for Christmas.  Not purchasing any other blu-rays or dvds for a few years helps too.  Everything else is either on Netflix or HBO at this point.  There's just too much availability to everything anymore.  I'd love to go back to high school and tell myself that one day I'd be bitching about having access to more media than I could consume.

• 3 months later...

Man. I almost went with the Zatoichi set. Next sale - that's happening. Instead I went with some variety:

Seventh Seal

Great Dictator

Lubitsch Musicals Eclipse Set

Oshima 60's Eclipse Set

Beauty and the Beast

• Like 1

Man. I almost went with the Zatoichi set. Next sale - that's happening. Instead I went with some variety:

Seventh Seal

Great Dictator

Lubitsch Musicals Eclipse Set

Oshima 60's Eclipse Set

Beauty and the Beast

Beauty and the Beast is outrageously good. The practical effects are beautiful and spooky, and the alternate orchestra audio is a great second watch.

Salo

Investigation of a Citizen Above Suspicion

The Double Life Of Veronique

Island of Lost Souls

Naked Lunch

Close-Up

I probably shouldn't have bought any. I've still barely gotten through the last bunch I bought in the BN sale. It's just too good a deal to pass up though.

For one, I don't like Musicals. 

I've seen two of the movies on the set, The Smiling Lieutenant and Monte Carlo. They're full of wit, well written sexual innuendo, and that old school charm and class. The songs are rarely huge numbers and last a short while. If one were to gauge, I'd say they're more like The Wizard of Oz or Willy Wonka and the Chocolate factory in this respect, where the songs are cute, but the other stuff in the film is more important. They're genuinely romantic films, and have some great jokes and dramatic arcs. The Smiling Lieutenant actually has a very twisty ending that feels like a gag on the audience, but works at the same time, while commenting on female empowerment. And as far as I can tell women have great roles in films. Monte Carlo, which I just watched recently, has an opening wedding sequence that is fucking hilarious. Also it was the first time that I could see an obvious influence on Wes Anderson.

He's just the bees knees, and so far I haven't been disappointed. His silent film, The Doll, which is on Netflix Instant is also really good and funny.

Did anyone else see in the Flash Sale email that 20 customers will get an evelope with a ticket inside? The tickets might be for general Criterion Swag, but the grand prize is: "a virtual shopping spree via webcam to the Criterion product closet in our New York City office!"

I hope at least one of us gets a cool ticket.

Also Scorsese is the newest Top 10 Lister: http://www.criterion.com/explore/214-martin-scorsese-s-top-10