DVDVR Message Board

The Criterion Collection

odessasteps

18 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

It's the only Adam Sandler movie I've ever liked.

Not the Wedding Singer?

On 7/22/2017 at 0:24 AM, Throat said:

Alright, now sell us on Sweet Movie.

I don't think I can do that.

Dusan Makavejev is the director. I first saw his work when I dug into Criterion's Eclipse's set. I thought he was doing some really fun experimental stuff with form and technique. My wife and I picked up Sweet Movie because it's basically his opus on sex in it's wild, perverse, filthy glory. John Waters probably envisions this movie when he's rolling on molly. 

The first scene is kind of a prototype of The Bachelor with women vying to win the hand of some rich guy. In front of a live studio they have a gyno give them an exam, and the winner's vajayjay has a golden glow like the suitcase from Pulp Fiction.

This is not the weirdest scene in the film.

From there it's pretty freewheeling with the narrative. Think Jodorowosky's Holy Mountain but with people orgasmically rolling around in food and shit. 

There were scenes I didn't enjoy, but I marveled at their existence. I think it's an insane masterpiece and it inspires me in my work often. If any of this makes you want to watch it, cool. But I understand if you turn it on for 10 minutes and break your TV.

37 minutes ago, J.H. said:

Just watched The Sicilian Clan, which is no a Criterion release but dammit it should be!

Fuck it, every French gangster movie with Alin Delon should be!

James

Never heard of it, but damn, it's got Lino Ventura and Jean Gabin as well!

• Like 1

Didn't quite know where to put this, but Kino Lorber is running a good sale on many of their titles, which was a roadblock toward getting more from the Criterion sale (there's always November).

Snagged:

Game of Death (a riff on the Most Dangerous Game trope)

Haunted Honemoon (Radner/Wilder)

Hero and the Terror

Scavenger Hunt

The Stranger (Welles/Robinson, not part of the sale but was on my want list)

Who?

Several really good titles, that I incidentally already had on prior releases.

The Stranger is a fun little game of cat and mouse that is mostly carried on the backs of two Titans. It's perhaps a dissapointment considering it's stars and their resumes. Not unlike Bret Hart vs. Ric Flair, in that you have two guys who have amazing matches, just not together. Still good, and still worth owning if your a fan or general collector of film.

I also saw this morning that Amazon has Criterion's The Uninvited bluray for 17 bucks. Really great ghost story film with Ray Milland, who, according to letterboxd, I apparently watched him more than any actor last year.

• Like 1

On 7/23/2017 at 7:41 PM, jaedmc said:

I don't think I can do that.

Dusan Makavejev is the director. I first saw his work when I dug into Criterion's Eclipse's set. I thought he was doing some really fun experimental stuff with form and technique. My wife and I picked up Sweet Movie because it's basically his opus on sex in it's wild, perverse, filthy glory. John Waters probably envisions this movie when he's rolling on molly. 

The first scene is kind of a prototype of The Bachelor with women vying to win the hand of some rich guy. In front of a live studio they have a gyno give them an exam, and the winner's vajayjay has a golden glow like the suitcase from Pulp Fiction.

This is not the weirdest scene in the film.

From there it's pretty freewheeling with the narrative. Think Jodorowosky's Holy Mountain but with people orgasmically rolling around in food and shit. 

There were scenes I didn't enjoy, but I marveled at their existence. I think it's an insane masterpiece and it inspires me in my work often. If any of this makes you want to watch it, cool. But I understand if you turn it on for 10 minutes and break your TV.

I've already seen it. I was just curious how you'd convince someone it was worth owning. If I hadn't seen it, you would've convinced me to. Having seen it, I don't ever want to see it again. I think it would have value as a film to lend out to people, though. A real test of a friendship.

• Like 1

Haha. Yeah, I wouldn't tell anyone else to buy it sight unseen. Like you were saying about it being a real test of friendship, when it was over my wife immediately said she really liked it, and I was like "Never leave me."

I watched Chimes at Midnight yesterday, which is Orson Welles' Falstaff movie. I recommend it, if you dig Shakespeare. Welles' direction is pretty incredible, with an amazing fight sequence that kind of reminded me of elements from the Battle of The Bastards sequence from Game of Thrones. Actually the whole movie felt really reminded me of Terry Gilliam's work with camera angles and how he frames faces. So if any of that sounds worth watching check it out.

It also has a really great long take which I deconstructed why it's so effective here: http://www.jaeetgail.com/news/2017/7/26/welles-long-take-mise-en-cine-in-chimes-at-midnight

• Like 2

My wife liked it too, which really surprised me. She actually told me yesterday she'd like see it again. She'll have to do that alone.

Though I'm not a fan of the film, I really like the soundtrack and listen to it often.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, this looks amazing!

8182XD8G7XL.jpg

Spanning fifty-three movies and forty-one editions of the Olympic Summer and Winter Games, this one-of-a-kind collection assembles, for the first time, a century's worth of Olympic films—the culmination of a monumental, award-winning archival project encompassing dozens of new restorations by the International Olympic Committee. These documentaries cast a cinematic eye on some of the most iconic moments in the history of modern sports, spotlighting athletes who embody the Olympic motto of "Faster, Higher, Stronger": Jesse Owens shattering sprinting world records on the track in 1936 Berlin, Jean Claude-Killy dominating the slopes of Grenoble in 1968, Joan Benoit breaking away to win the first-ever women's marathon on the streets of Los Angeles in 1984. In addition to the work of Bud Greenspan, the man behind an impressive ten Olympic features, this stirring collective chronicle of triumph and defeat includes such landmarks of the documentary form as Leni Riefenstahl's

Olympia and Kon Ichikawa's Tokyo Olympiad, along with lesser-known but captivating contributions by major directors like Claude Lelouch, Carlos Saura, and Miloš Forman. It also serves as a fascinating window onto the formal development of cinema itself, as well as the technological progress that has enabled the viewer, over the years, to get ever closer to the action. Traversing continents and decades, and reflecting as well the social, cultural, and political changes that have shaped our recent history, this remarkable marathon of films offers nothing less than a panorama of a hundred years of human endeavor.

SPECIAL EDITION COLLECTOR'S SET FEATURES:

• 53 newly restored films from 41 editions of the Olympic Games, presented together for the first time
• Landmark 4K restorations of Olympia, Tokyo Olympiad, and Visions of Eight, among other titles
• New scores for the silent films, composed by Maud Nelissen, Donald Sosin, and Frido ter Beek
• A lavishly illustrated, 216-page hardcover book, featuring notes on the films by cinema historian Peter Cowie; a foreword by Thomas Bach, President of the International Olympic Committee; a short history of the restoration project by restoration producer Adrian Wood; and hundreds of photographs from a century of Olympic Games

Films included:

Stockholm 1912
The Games of the V Olympiad Stockholm, 1912 (dir. Adrian Wood)

Chamonix 1924
The Olympic Games Held at Chamonix in 1924 (dir. Jean de Rovera)

Paris 1924
The Olympic Games as They Were Practiced in Ancient Greece (dir. Jean de Rovera)
The Olympic Games in Paris 1924 (dir. Jean de Rovera)

St. Moritz 1928
The White Stadium (dirs. Arnold Fanck, Othmar Gurtner)

Amsterdam 1928
The IX Olympiad in Amsterdam (dir. unknown)
The Olympic Games, Amsterdam 1928 (dir. Wilhelm Prager; supervisor Jules Perel)

Garmisch-Partenkirchen 1936
Youth of the World (dir. Carl Junghans)

Berlin 1936
Olympia Part One: Festival of the Nations (dir. Leni Riefenstahl)
Olympia Part Two: Festival of Beauty (dir. Leni Riefenstahl)

St. Moritz 1948
Fight Without Hate (dir. André Michel)

London 1948
XIVth Olympiad: The Glory of Sport (dir. Castleton Knight)

Oslo 1952
The VI Olympic Winter Games, Oslo 1952 (dir. Tancred Ibsen)

Helsinki 1952
Where the World Meets (dir. Hannu Leminen)
Gold and Glory (dir. Hannu Leminen)
Memories of the Olympic Summer of 1952 (dir. unknown)

Cortina d'Ampezzo 1956
White Vertigo (dir. Giorgio Ferroni)

Melbourne/Stockholm 1956
Olympic Games, 1956 (dir. Peter Whitchurch)
The Melbourne Rendez-vous (dir. René Lucot)
Alain Mimoun (dir. Louis Gueguen)
The Horse in Focus (dir. unknown)

Squaw Valley 1960
People, Hopes, Medals (dir. Heribert Meisel)

Rome 1960
The Grand Olympics (dir. Romolo Marcellini)

Innsbruck 1964
IX Olympic Winter Games, Innsbruck 1964 (dir. Theo Hörmann)

Tokyo 1964
Tokyo Olympiad (dir. Kon Ichikawa)
Sensation of the Century (prod. Taguchi Suketaro, supervisor Nobumasa Kawamoto)

Grenoble 1968
13 Days in France (dirs. Claude Lelouch, François Reichenbach)
Snows of Grenoble (dirs. Jacques Ertaud, Jean-Jacques Languepin)

Mexico City 1968
The Olympics in Mexico (dir. Alberto Isaac)

Sapporo 1972
Sapporo Winter Olympics (dir. Masahiro Shinoda)

Munich 1972
Visions of Eight (dirs. Miloš Forman, Kon Ichikawa, Claude Lelouch, Yuri Ozerov, Arthur Penn, Michael Pfleghar, John Schlesinger, Mai Zetterling)

Innsbruck 1976
White Rock (dir. Tony Maylam)

Montreal 1976
Games of the XXI Olympiad (dirs. Jean-Claude Labrecque, Jean Beaudin, Marcel Carrière, Georges Dufaux)

Lake Placid 1980
Olympic Spirit (dirs. Drummond Challis, Tony Maylam)

Moscow 1980
O Sport, You Are Peace! (dir. Yuri Ozerov)

Sarajevo 1984
A Turning Point (dir. Kim Takal)

Los Angeles 1984
16 Days of Glory (dir. Bud Greenspan)

Calgary 1988
Calgary '88: 16 Days of Glory (dir. Bud Greenspan)

Seoul 1988
Seoul 1988 (dir. Lee Kwang-soo)
Hand in Hand (dir. Im Kwon-taek)
Beyond All Barriers (dir. Lee Ji-won)

Albertville 1992
One Light, One World (dirs. Joe Jay Jalbert, R. Douglas Copsey)

Barcelona 1992
Marathon (dir. Carlos Saura)

Lillehammer 1994
Lillehammer '94: 16 Days of Glory (dir. Bud Greenspan)

Atlanta 1996
Atlanta's Olympic Glory (dir. Bud Greenspan)

Nagano 1998
Nagano '98 Olympics: Stories of Honor and Glory (dir. Bud Greenspan)
Olympic Glory (dir. Kieth Merrill)

Sydney 2000
Sydney 2000: Stories of Olympic Glory (dir. Bud Greenspan)

Salt Lake City 2002
Salt Lake City 2002: Bud Greenspan's Stories of Olympic Glory (dir. Bud Greenspan)

Athens 2004
Bud Greenspan's Athens 2004: Stories of Olympic Glory (dir. Bud Greenspan)

Turin 2006
Bud Greenspan's Torino 2006: Stories of Olympic Glory (dir. Bud Greenspan)

Beijing 2008
The Everlasting Flame (dir. Gu Jun)

Vancouver 2010
Bud Greenspan Presents Vancouver 2010: Stories of Olympic Glory (prods. Bud Greenspan, Nancy Beffa)

London 2012
First (dir. Caroline Rowland)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Should I try and rent The Lure? I was gonna grab The Girl With All The Gifts and It Comes At Night to keep up with my current horror; this already getting Criterion status is intriguing. I hate musicals though

The Lure is weird and awesome, but The Girl With All The Gifts is probably one of my Top Ten favorite horror movies of the past five years and It Comes At Night is ridiculously solid.

I'd stick with the latter two if price is a premium.