DVDVR Message Board

The Criterion Collection

odessasteps

It's about time Criterion put some more American comedy classics up. I am all for art house stuff, but Tootsie is a film that deserves a Criterion once over with their special features. It would be nice if they can put more of their old laserdiscs back up on Blu ray form.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

November needs to hurry and get here. I got four on my list.

Those four are:

Le Samourai

The Magician

Kuroneko

Eraserhead

All DVD.

I'm waiting for Le Samourai on Blu Ray.

The ones I'm leaning towards are more obvious essentials:

Persona

La Dolce Vita

Close-Up

La Dolce Vita

Brazil

All That Jazz

Damn near have every Criterion I actually would want now.  I'd like Last Picture Show and Killing of a Chinese Bookie but don't want those entire boxsets.  Too lazy to fuck around on ebay.

I think I've got to go for L'Avventura(I can wait 10 days) and L'Eclisse, so I can have four Antonioni blus. I love him. After that it's anyone's guess. I keep telling myself that there are some non-criterion dvds I need to get of old classics and contemporary movies, but then the sale comes along and wipes out my funds alotted to movie purchases.  

And the sets. Damn those sets. Tati, Cassavettes and I'm constantly checking out discs from other Eclipse sets from the library or Netflix and finding all kinds of brilliance.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

B&N is giving out 30% off coupons for one item on Black Friday.

Ergo...you could get the new Tati set or the Cassavetes Blu Ray for....25 dollars.

That's good to know. I actually may do that. Although, I'm not sure whether to go for Cassavetes or Tati.

You could always get a buddy to pick the other one up for you. I mean 50 bucks for the two robbing the fucking blind. I think my wife and I are thinking about doing that.

So my haul from this year's sale(I tried not to get too crazy because holidays) were

Black Narcissus(which I wrote a little about here: http://www.soundonsight.org/through-this-lens-black-narcissus/

Blow Out Which I only watched a few months ago but it blew my fucking mind(best Travolta movie ever?)

Le'Eclisse I'm sure I'll get L'Aventura this Christmas, so I went ahead and picked this up. Alain Delon and Monica Vitti, y'all. It's like Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt hooking up but sexier.

Eclipse Set of Dušan Makavejev Only 22 bucks. We just watched Love Affair, or the Case of the Missing Switchboard Operator, and it blew me away how exploratory he was, and yet everything felt perfect. No wasted movement or excess. Everything fit. So the set was worth it just for that movie. I'm really excited to explore the rest of his filmography.

Oh and I had a 15% off coupon so technically I got all that for 65% off. COUPONS.

The Cassavetes set is worth so much more than $47. My favorite Criterion set of all time (with America Lost & Found coming in second).

I finally pulled the trigger on the Shoah blu set, which was $38.05 after tax. Yowza.

My B&N had the Tati set, so I pounced on that one. I hope I end up enjoying it.

I think Mon Oncle ismy favorite, but they're really great as a group. You can see the gradual shift from the "old world" mentality to the new industrial one that Tati's character is coming to grips with. But hile he lampoons the absurdity of the industrialized world, he also manages to celebrate the marvels in it, infusing that child like curiosity that you think died into this new glass n' steel planet. My 7 year old, who was 6 at the time, adored Playtime, though it's probably one of the more melancholy entries. 

Man, just had some issues with my order. They initially applied the cybermonday to an already discounted item, and then removed the discount after I placed the order. I think I've finally got it solved (after two visits to their customer service chat).

Hopefully, I can take advantage of next years Criterion discounts. Need to be in a better place financially.

Really wish Criterion would put out the Antoine Doinel series on Blu Ray. I've been holding out on the DVD set. Already own 400 Blows on Blu, but would buy it again in a set. 

The 3 Films by Rossellini starring Ingrid Bergman set looks great. As does 5 films by Cassavetes.

Hopefully, I can take advantage of next years Criterion discounts. Need to be in a better place financially.

Really wish Criterion would put out the Antoine Doinel series on Blu Ray. I've been holding out on the DVD set. Already own 400 Blows on Blu, but would buy it again in a set. 

The 3 Films by Rossellini starring Ingrid Bergman set looks great. As does 5 films by Cassavetes.

I'm sure I've said this before in this thread, but I've been holding out on buying Le Samourai until it gets a blu-ray release. I'd honestly be fine with a box set of Melville's stuff. Criterion apparently discontinued Le Cercle Rouge.

• 3 weeks later...