DVDVR Message Board

The Box Office Thread

EVA

The Conjuring is going to surprise a lot of people this weekend.

Yep. The Conjuring is expected to gross more than an estimated $35 million by the end of the weekend.

Meanwhile, Ryan Reynold has the honor being a part of two box offices bombs this week. RIPD ($130 million budget) will gross an estimated $12 million . Turbo ($135 million budget) will gross an estimated $27 million. Red 2 will make less than what the first movie did in it's opening weekend with an estimated $18 million. That's a box office bloodbath.

Ryan Reynolds has two movies out this weekend and both of them are looking disappointing.  Red alert.  Expect more articles on the state of his career from Bill Simmons and entertainment sites after this weekend.

R.I.P.D. cost $135 million?

My laughter is out loud.

According to Dave Lewis of Hitfix.com

The film is officially budgeted at $130 million, but some reports say it was closer to $200 million, and it's on its way to becoming the biggest bomb of the summer. Universal seemed to know it had a dud on its hands, however, running a muted marketing campaign and playing down tracking. 

http://www.hitfix.com/news/box-office-the-conjuring-rips-ripd-and-red-2-on-friday

Ryan Reynolds has two movies out this weekend and both of them are looking disappointing.  Red alert.  Expect more articles on the state of his career from Bill Simmons and entertainment sites after this weekend.

Reynolds needs to get back into TV pronto.  For now, his film career is toast.  He should be a star.  He has the look, he's decent enough as an actor.  But he chooses the worst films to be in.  As a result, Channing Tatum has come in and taken the spot Reynolds would have had with better choices.

So unless he can pull a Ben Affleck career revival out of his hat, Reynolds best find a small-screen role to float him along for now.

He will be too busy getting caught up on Sharknado, according to the BS report pod last week. :)

Maybe. 

I think people sometimes put too much emphasis on the drawing ability of well-known actors/actresses.  It's definitely a factor especially with independent films and in the past, certain actors like Will Smith/Tom Hanks seem to pull people in.  I still think the marketing campaign, the premise, and if it's a popular franchise beforehand are just as important factors if not more nowadays. 

Brad Pitt, for example, is usually considered an A-List star, but World War Z is the biggest opening weekend in his career and it finished second at about $66 million.  I think marketing, zombies general appeal, and World War Z name factored into its success.  Probably more than Brad Pitt's presence.

I think the name actually worked against it, since people who have read the book realized very quickly that the film was not much like it.

Spielberg and Lucas~!

I dunno if they were 100% right... but just throwing a metric shitload of money and a "name" actor at a movie and thinking people will see it isn't working. 

I think that the turn around time from the screen to DVD is so short now, that unless I am highly anticipating something, I would just rather wait.  I don't think that I would be willing to go see Grown Ups 2 even with the whole "experience" that Lucas & Speilberg talk about... but I would be willing to do that for a flick like Avengers.  Movies have kinda treaded into the same territory as the NFL - I can get a better experience watching it at home on my big screen digital television. 

Maybe its just me but who's watching all these comedies at the cinema? If i'm watching something on a 40ft screen there needs to be something to get out of it that you wouldn't get from watching it at home. Fart jokes aren't it. I probably go to the cinema more than most, there's a thing here called Orange Wednesday where if you have an Orange network phone, tickets are buy 1 get 1 free on a Wednesday. So me and my friends will go watch a film if there's anything remotely decent looking out. If there's a choice, big special effects films always win because they are just more entertaining to watch on a huge screen.

Maybe its just me but who's watching all these comedies at the cinema? 

People on dates and groups of teenagers.

I hope to god nobody goes and watches something like Grown Ups 2 alone at the theater...

People on dates and groups of teenagers.

Ah, happy people....

I'm at the point where if we go to the cinema i want to switch my brain off after a day at work and watch stuff explode on an unnecessarily large screen. Pacific Rim will always beat Grown Ups in my heart even if it doesn't at the box office.

I'm really interested to see how THE WOLVERINE turns out this weekend. As I suspected might be the case earlier in the summer, none of the big sci-fi/action releases post-MAN OF STEEL, with the exception of WORLD WAR Z, really took root. And, of course, most of the big releases in July have bombed. So, the way is clear for WOLVERINE to be the big, late summer blockbuster this year.

Mojo is pegging it for $70-ish, which feels right, but I wouldn't be surprised if it goes higher. Keep in mind, ORIGINS was actually a hit and had a huge opening weekend, despite 1) being terrible, and 2) an almost-finished copy leaking online months before it's released. The public seems to love Hugh Jackman playing this character.

The question for me is, will the hype for DAYS OF FUTURE PAST drive people to the theater to see this, or will they see view movie as an afterthought and wait for the main event next summer?

With the exception of DESPICABLE ME 2, this July has just been DEATH at the box office. Which is even stranger when you consider that June was the biggest June ever. It's like America had it's fill of the movies.

July seemed oddly thought out by studios this year.  Despicable Me 2 came out at just the right time and The Conjuring will be one of the suprise hits of the season.  But the rest of the offerings seemed paltry.  Of course, stuff like The Lone Ranger was always destined to be DOA.