DVDVR Message Board

The Box Office Thread

EVA

1 billion domestic would be crazy but would be fun to see. Hard to imagine this movie doing another 350 million but ya never know I guess. 

Well, Avatar did 481 million after Day 13 which is where Star Wars is now. They were an oddity, but so is Star Wars, so I don't think it is impossible.

Think about it this way - assuming my math isn't totally buggered:

Jurassic World made ~45% of it's 2 week total over the remainder of it's theatrical run.

If we assume a similar long tail for Star Wars (and why wouldn't we), an additional 45% of its current total would put it at slightly over $900 million.

HOWEVER, much of JW's run came over the summer where it faced weekly big-budget challengers. TFA will be running throug the winter when there isn't much blockbuster competition at all, so it will have more favorable conditions to chew up that "hidden yardage" on the back end.

$1 billion domestic is not that crazy at all.

TFA* is also running when kids are in school (past next Monday, that is) so we'll likely see some cooling off of the giant box office takes then.

*Each time I see TFA, I think it's The First Avenger, and am wistful that so many people love Cap.

TFA* is also running when kids are in school (past next Monday, that is) so we'll likely see some cooling off of the giant box office takes then.

*Each time I see TFA, I think it's The First Avenger, and am wistful that so many people love Cap.

That's true, but that didn't hurt Avatar's numbers at all and Star Wars has a huge fanbase over the age of 18. It will continue to dip of course but I don't think it will be a big one when school starts back up.

Yeah, school will be a factor, but Avatar made 62% of it's total gross AFTER its 2nd week while running in the exact same release window as TFA. Obviously, being the first OMG YA GOTTA SEE IT IN 3D movie played a part in that. But the OMG ITS STAR WARS AND ITS GOOD mania is running comparably wild right now, I'd say.

• Like 1

They are projecting Minions to make a serious run at Shrek the Third's 121 million dollar open for best animated film.

I should have seen that coming but holy shit. 

I'm thinking now Star Wars opens up to something like $225M. 

Well Niners Fan, you were off by $22 million.

At this point, I'd say Star Wars beating the domestic gross of Avatar is a certainty.  Worldwide, I'm not so sure.

The thing about Titanic and Avatar is that they played the marathon game at the box office and continued to rake in the dough week after week after week.

It's pretty much a lock it gets the domestic record. It's going over 700 this weekend, will have the record by the end of next weekend at the latest.

It's still well over a billion away worldwide though, so stay tuned. Especially with China looming.

Not nearly as well, I'd guess. Episode VIII probably won't do as well either. The ten year/32 year wait is a big part of it.

Plus, Rogue One not being the main story... But, of course, it can be a huge blockbuster and not come close to this.

Not nearly as well, I'd guess. Episode VIII probably won't do as well either. The ten year/32 year wait is a big part of it.

Plus, Rogue One not being the main story... But, of course, it can be a huge blockbuster and not come close to this.

Yea just like how Episode 1 did better than 2 or 3. My guess would be Episode VII will do the best, then IX and finally VIII. In fact I'd predict VIII will be seen as a disappointiment after how VII did, I don't envy them as they set the bar really high. But I think every Star Wars movie will make at least 500 million domestic (even the off-shoot movies) as long as they don't do more than one a calendar year and oversaturate the market.

I think if they just do one a year they will be ok, at least through IX. If they were smart, they'd do one a year through IX, then wait three years and repeat the process. But as long as they make a profit I don't think they will stop. I personally don't mind one a year, I love Star Wars and the whole universe, there are plenty of stories to tell. I'd love if they mixed in some darker ones, I wouldn't mind one more oriented to kids, I hope they get creative with it.

They know better than anyone how the shared universe / different characters thing works for the Marvel franchise. And it looks like that's the model they're following, with Rogue One being their version of The First Avenger. Wonder if it'll feature General Leia doing the Princess Bride Grandpa narration?

Box Office Mojo's weekend estimate has Star Wars just about evening up with Avatar domestically from this weekend's total. Even if it doesn't quite hit that mark, its still unbelievable how much money it has made.

Is it, though?

I mean, it's Star Wars.

Factor in that it's genuinely a good movie...yeah, it would be weird if it wasn't breaking box office records. 

I don't think anyone would have ever predicted any movie to become the top domestic movie in 18 days. That is beyond crazy and something literally no one said was possible three weeks ago. It is on a different level then we've ever seen, at least in the modern movie era.

They are projecting Minions to make a serious run at Shrek the Third's 121 million dollar open for best animated film.

I should have seen that coming but holy shit. 

I'm thinking now Star Wars opens up to something like $225M. 

Well Niners Fan, you were off by $22 million.

At this point, I'd say Star Wars beating the domestic gross of Avatar is a certainty.  Worldwide, I'm not so sure.

The thing about Titanic and Avatar is that they played the marathon game at the box office and continued to rake in the dough week after week after week.

Thing is with us being into Awards Movies That Don't Make Any Money season and limited competition for the action/adventure dollar, I really don't think there's any reason to expect a film this big to be out of theatres before the end of February. Big theatres will almost certainly be running it still by then. It's got every chance to play the long game.

I was surprised wednesday that Star Wars was only on 2 screens, one 3d and one regular.

Wow where is that? My local theater has it airing 14 times today, although I am not sure how many screens that is.

The AMC in White Marsh. It may have more, looking at todays times, since i dont think i factored in imax. It looks like 6 screens today.

My guesstimate is:

1 concussion, 1/2 daddys home, 1/2 joy, 2 point break (1 3D, 1 reg), 1 Hateful 8 reg, 1 h8 70mm, 2 Alvin, 1 Sisters, 2 SW imax, 2 SW 3D, 2 SW reg, 1 big short, .5 krampus, 1 creed, .5 hunger games