DVDVR Message Board

The Box Office Thread

EVA

Idea: to capitalize on the booming Asian box office, Marvel will introduce a new superhero: Captain China.

He gets along OKish with Captain America most of the time, but they can have a tense relationship sometimes partly due to the fact Captain America owes him so, so much money.

Marvel should go meta and have a storyline where Captain America makes some bad financial decisions and isn't good with money at all. Maybe it culminates in him beating up a shady Wall Street banker.

Idea: to capitalize on the booming Asian box office, Marvel will introduce a new superhero: Captain China.

He gets along OKish with Captain America most of the time, but they can have a tense relationship sometimes partly due to the fact Captain America owes him so, so much money.

The C doesn't stand for America.

So reportedly, Saturday ticket sales tanked after 5pm Saturday, which lends credence to the idea that Game 7 and the fight has a lot to do with the steep Saturday drop from Friday.

Furious 7 made insane bank worldwide, no doubt. It still has a chance at catching The Avengers for third all time worldwide.

They passed Frozen earlier this week.

Take that talking snowman! You should have had a cool ass sports car!

It's not making another $100 million

With Ultron out and the other blockbusters hitting most projections only have it theaters a couple more weeks

I'm not sure how it works overseas exactly but I read that it made another $31M in China last weekend.  It made $52M total overseas last weekend.  Box Office Mojo lists it as having made $1.430B while Avengers finished at $1.518B  so it needs $88M. It should get another $15M in the U.S.   Can it squeeze out the rest overseas?

Age of Ultron opens in China on May 12th so Furious 7 will be unopposed for one more weekend.

With the success of Age of Ultron, Samuel L. Jackson has now surpassed Tom Hanks as the #1 grossing actor of all time.  Which is kind of ironic since his biggest movies with the Star Wars prequels and MCU movies he's playing like #6 or #7 lead role.  But hey it counts all the same.

Unfriended has made $32 million worldwide on its $1 million budget

So I expect about 9 more movies

It helps that Unfriended was actually pretty good.

With the success of Age of Ultron, Samuel L. Jackson has now surpassed Tom Hanks as the #1 grossing actor of all time.  Which is kind of ironic since his biggest movies with the Star Wars prequels and MCU movies he's playing like #6 or #7 lead role.  But hey it counts all the same.

I kind of want to see Tom Hanks as Norman Osborn now.

Downside: Age of Ultron is now about 35 million domestic off the pace of the first Avengers.

Upside: It will likely pass Furious 7 for first place domestic in 2015 sometime this upcoming week, possibly even this weekend is it exceeds expectations (the "derby/game 7/the fight hurt it's box office significantly Saturday" theory.)

That would confirm that the fight didn't really hold back the first weekend all that much. You can't tell anything from Ant-Man.  I'll be very interested to see what Civil War does. Analysts have predicted that sometime before 2020 we are going to see a big drop off for comic book movies.

It's a blessing that Spider-Man is back with Marvel Studios or at least under the umbrella. I realize Amazing Spider-Man 2 (which I probably liked more than most) still did $700M worldwide but I expect Spider-Man to do more than that and Sony's plans moving forward (Venom movie, Sinister Six, etc.) could have been embarrassing. 

I think Deadpool will do solid business depending on the budget. I don't think Gambit is a smart idea.  FOX would be fine if they just stuck to X-Men movies. 

Marvel will do huge business with Infinity, Civil War and the Guardians of the Galaxy sequel.  I'm not sure how well Ant-Man, Black Panther, Doctor Strange, etc. will do but the budgets shouldn't be crazy on those. 

DC should do very well with Batman v. Superman.  Everything else I have no clue. A lot of it might depend on how well BvS is received.

The D-Train made less than 500K on 1009 screens which is...

the fifth-worst opening in history for a film opening in 600 to 2,000 theaters, not accounting for inflation.