DVDVR Message Board

The Box Office Thread

EVA

Both You're Next and The World's End are both over 90% at RT.  Are there enough Mortal Instruments tween fans out there to prevent the upset?

It sounds like producers are already fearing it may be in Beautiful Creatures territory. Even funnier is that they're already in pre-production for the sequel, City of Ashes. Talk about calling your shot.

Man, City of Bones went down like a black dress on prom night.  Made a bit of money overseas though so we'll probably see City of Ashes, but I don't think that this franchise will survive to see all six books make it to the big screen.  Mini-series on cable, maybe.

Man, City of Bones went down like a black dress on prom night.  Made a bit of money overseas though so we'll probably see City of Ashes, but I don't think that this franchise will survive to see all six books make it to the big screen.  Mini-series on cable, maybe.

I know Divergent will probably be a big success, but you know it has to make Summit Entertainment a little nervous. There are a good number of Academy Award and BAFTA nominated films that don't have $60 million and $80 million budgets with unknown actors and actresses let alone with a specific demo they're targeting. I don't know how many failed franchises distributors can crank out before they realize that everything can't be Hunger Games or Twilight.

• 2 weeks later...

CNN and the New York Times keep reporting Pacific Rim's box office as disappointing. It's made 400 million so far. It's Guillermo del Toro's highest grossing film. What, exactly, were they expecting?

CNN and the New York Times keep reporting Pacific Rim's box office as disappointing. It's made 400 million so far. It's Guillermo del Toro's highest grossing film. What, exactly, were they expecting?

That all $400 million would be made in the states

The budget was close to 200 Million.  Worldwide BO is at over $400M.  Barely half of that profit will go back to WB.

It also does not help that most of Pacific Rim's BO was made overseas.

I watched Riddick last Wednesday when it was released here in the UK and while i liked the first 2 i wasn't as big a fan of this one. Not that it was really bad but it just dragged on a bit, could have really benefited from being 90 mins instead of 2 hours. Also, not that it matters to the films story or anything but the special effects were pretty terrible in places, but i guess that's down to the tiny budget. Despite that i hope it takes a decent amount of money at the box office and they make some more.

Oh yeah definitely. I probably liked Chronicles more than most but i guess the only way this was getting made was toning down the budget and they couldn't do something in the style of Chronicles without some cash behind it. I could see them throwing more money at a 4th film if this does well so heres hoping.

This is a little too much like Pitch Black though, if they hadn't tied it into Chronicles at the start of the film it could almost be a remake/re-imagining or whatever the current trend with films is these days. I don't know, maybe that's what they were going for, the first 2 films are old enough now that the younger people going to watch this probably haven't even seen them and are going because its got the guy from car films in it. If that's what it takes to get the series back on track, and they are willing to throw money at Vin Diesel to make what he wants as long as the Fast franchise is making them all of the money in the world then i'm fine with that.

Meanwhile - Instructions Not Included continues to do insane business on less than a 1000 screens.

It's made just over $20 million so far and it is on still less than 800 screens

So Insidious 2 made like a trillion dollars

I really am shocked Hollywood doesn't make nothing but horror movies.

They are all made on the cheap and then like - at a minimum - triple their budget