DVDVR Message Board

The Box Office Thread

EVA

To be honest, I had no idea it wasn't the Thor Hemsworth in Paranoia. I dunno if the commercials neglected to mention that or I didn't pay enough attention but I thought it was Chris Hemsworth.

Chris has a bigger head and that's how I knew. Also, he was on The Daily Show and you could tell he has no personality or charisma whatsoever (even compared to Chris). John Oliver basically asked him zero questions about the movie because clearly the premise of the movie was completely over Liam's head. He may as well did a movie about astrophysics.

Chris also has a lighter shade of blond hair than his brother.

The Hemsworths are a classic example of one-upmanship.  Liam is attractive, but Chris one ups him.  Liam has a nice body, but Chris one ups him.  Liam lands a role in a heralded franchise, but Chris had already one-upped him by being the lead in his blockbuster films.  Don't even get started in the personality department.  Chris may be no RDJ in that area, but he runs circles around Liam and seems to have a sense of humor from what I've seen.  Liam is pretty blank. Liam is the baby brother who can't compete because why get him when there's a better version of him walking around.

I didn't even know Paranoid or Jobs were coming out last weekend.  Both films were just thrown out there for scraps in the dog movie days of summer.  No buzz.  Was it a limited released for both, at least?

I didn't even know Paranoid or Jobs were coming out last weekend.  Both films were just thrown out there for scraps in the dog movie days of summer.  No buzz.  Was it a limited released for both, at least?

To be fair, Relativity Media (Paranoia) and Open Road Films (Jobs) ain't exactly producing a slew of hits. Also, I didn't know Weinstein Company's last #1 movie was Inglourious Basterds. They probably shouldn't have released Django Unchained in the US less than two weeks after The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey. That would've been a surefire #1 otherwise.

To be fair on releasing DU when they did is they wanted to release it in time for awards season so pushing it back into January would've been a bad move awards wise and box office wise also, it made more money as a #2 in late December then it would've as a #1 in early January.

To be fair on releasing DU when they did is they wanted to release it in time for awards season so pushing it back into January would've been a bad move awards wise and box office wise also, it made more money as a #2 in late December then it would've as a #1 in early January.

They finished production in like June 2012, IIRC. They could have released it in August or September of this year and made a similar take (if not higher w/ less competition) at the box office. I know Quentin rushed out Inglourious for the Cannes before going back into more post-production for the wide release.

And Django is the highest grossing movie of QT's career, so I kind of doubt it left much money on the table.

Going against the Peter Jackson juggernaut is going to cut into your profit one way or another.

In it's third weekend?  I don't buy it.

63.4 from it's first week, 13 million more than Basterds, and closing at 40 million more than Basterds, sounds too me pretty much like QT got exactly what he could get out of that film.  I doubt it did any more at the box office opening at any time, because Tarantino doesn't have the audience to draw that.  The movie was a runaway success for the Weinsteins and Tarantino, especially when you look at the worldwide total. 

I don't buy it at all.  I think if nothing appealing had been out at all that weekend, Django would have made more or less the same amount of money that it did.  It was never going to open at 45 or 60 million bucks for the weekend, or 100-120 million for the Tuesday-Thursday stretch.  Didn't fucking matter what was against it, Tarantino simply does not have that kind of broad appeal.

I don't buy it at all.  I think if nothing appealing had been out at all that weekend, Django would have made more or less the same amount of money that it did.  It was never going to open at 45 or 60 million bucks for the weekend, or 100-120 million for the Tuesday-Thursday stretch.  Didn't fucking matter what was against it, Tarantino simply does not have that kind of broad appeal.

$425 million is a lot money for someone without that "type" of broad appeal. The competition clearly cut into a pot that could have been bigger. A Peter Jackson Tolkien film isn't going to disappear off the radar like say...2 Guns or The Butler. 

FWIW, actuals are out, and Kick-Ass 2's position did, indeed change.  It moved... oh, down to 5th, below Planes.

Welp, now I'm really convinced I'll never get to see Kick-Ass 3, and I blame you all.

FWIW, actuals are out, and Kick-Ass 2's position did, indeed change.  It moved... oh, down to 5th, below Planes.

Welp, now I'm really convinced I'll never get to see Kick-Ass 3, and I blame you all.

The morning Jim Carrey associated it with Sandy Hook, it was doomed to all hell.

I don't think that had much to do with it.  I think it was just that the first movie didn't really need a sequel.  It was hardly a huge box office performer.  And the second one looked like DTV garbage which it kinda was.

Original director abandoned the franchise.

Well, Vaughn was still a producer.

It got a sequel because the first film had inordinately high home video sales.  But the sequel is probably going to top out right around the 28 million dollar budget, unless it does pretty good foreign and again does great dvd/blu-ray sales, the franchise is dead.

I don't think that had much to do with it.  I think it was just that the first movie didn't really need a sequel.  It was hardly a huge box office performer.  And the second one looked like DTV garbage which it kinda was.

Original director abandoned the franchise.

Jeff Wadlow notwithstanding, I saw more stuff in terms of online buzz about Kick-Ass 2 than the first one. Once Carrey made his statements, I noticed it being downplayed a lot more in terms of trailer airings on TV as the summer went on and maybe saw two or three airings in late primetime the week of release. It should have done at least $50 to $60 million by the time all was said and done. 

High DVD sales or not, I agree with whoever said Kick-Ass didn't need a sequel.  One was fine and entertaining enough.  The notoriety of seeing an ultra-violence film starring foul-mouth teens has worn-out.  Vaughn being a producer doesn't really help Kick-Ass 2's case since a producer's involvement varies depending on the movie.  I don't need a third one too.

Anyway, I'm sure Mark Millar's shameless ass will jump at the chance to cash in on writing another Kick-Ass comic if he hasn't wrote a third one already.

And by floundering Mike means it was #10 on the sales chart for June, making it the highest selling creator owned book of the month...

Millar has stated it will be the last Kick-Ass story, while leaving the door slightly open for a prequel Big Daddy/Hit Girl series.