DVDVR Message Board

The Box Office Thread

EVA

Families came out this weekend and picked Adam Sandler and animation over Pacific Rim.  That's the excuse I'm going with right now.  I don't think you can put most of the blame on the promotional campaign.  Pacific Rim was pushed pretty hard this week.

I could see Pacific Rim being successful internationally though.  I think it will appeal to many audiences outside of the U.S. 

I think not having a top line star ultimately hurt it a lot. America's love of zombies notwithstanding, Brad Pitt basically dragged audiences kicking and screaming to WORLD WAR Z on opening weekend. If PACIFIC RIM had Tom Cruise playing the Charlie Hunnam role (I'd say the Idris Elba role, but you know if Cruise did this movie, he'd have to be driving the big robot), it probably would have been a similar story.

I know one person who had to leave Pacific Rim because their child was getting upset during the Tokyo flashback.

So maybe families stayed away because that may happen to them.

I agree that it should do numbers internationally, given the multi-national gimmick.

I think not having a top line star ultimately hurt it a lot. America's love of zombies notwithstanding, Brad Pitt basically dragged audiences kicking and screaming to WORLD WAR Z on opening weekend. If PACIFIC RIM had Tom Cruise playing the Charlie Hunnam role (I'd say the Idris Elba role, but you know if Cruise did this movie, he'd have to be driving the big robot), it probably would have been a similar story.

Maybe. 

I think people sometimes put too much emphasis on the drawing ability of well-known actors/actresses.  It's definitely a factor especially with independent films and in the past, certain actors like Will Smith/Tom Hanks seem to pull people in.  I still think the marketing campaign, the premise, and if it's a popular franchise beforehand are just as important factors if not more nowadays. 

Brad Pitt, for example, is usually considered an A-List star, but World War Z is the biggest opening weekend in his career and it finished second at about $66 million.  I think marketing, zombies general appeal, and World War Z name factored into its success.  Probably more than Brad Pitt's presence.

My parents are fairly well educated on film, they do read reviews and they still went to Grown Ups 2. They wouldn't have a clue what Pacific Rim is but they do know who Sandler and James are. Their report back to me was "eh, it had some funny moments" ... 

Anyway, it seems like there have been a ton of bombs this Summer. Were Lucas and Spielberg correct?

Well, you also had Iron Man 3 and Despicable Me 2 absolutely raking in the dough, so, hard to say.

Pacific Rim proves again that movies that are absurdly hyped in the geekier corners of the internet do not necessarily translate to success (see Snakes on a Plane, Pirannha 3D*, Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World...)

*It did do enough to get a sequel with an absurd title, at least...

I know people who refuse to see anything that is "sci-fi/fantasy/comic book" type movies because they think it is too "nerdy"

These are the same people who go see Grown Ups 2 because someone got hit in the nuts.

These people make me sad

Keep in mind, Thomas Tull has Mass Effect, WoW, Gravel projects already in development along with a sequel to Pacific Rim. Then, you have Legendary Pictures signing the deal with Universal last week. That's not going after internet buzz, but trying to corner the market.

I saw the first Grown Ups and thought it was really funny.  I plan on seeing Grown Ups 2.  Fuck you if you can't watch a harmless lightweight family pick.  Not everyone wants to sit and watch some multi-layered plot of a movie.  Get over yourselves.

• Like 1

I saw the first Grown Ups and thought it was really funny.  I plan on seeing Grown Ups 2.  Fuck you if you can't watch a harmless lightweight family pick.  Not everyone wants to sit and watch some multi-layered plot of a movie.  Get over yourselves.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

• Like 1

Boo these nuts.  We're all a bunch of nerds, geeks and misfits, but ADAM SANDLER MOVIES are where you draw the line??? Fuck outta here....

I haven't heard THESE NUTS being used in ages. (draw your own conclusions about what that means)  Now I'm laughing too hard at work.  :lol:

Boo these nuts.  We're all a bunch of nerds, geeks and misfits, but ADAM SANDLER MOVIES are where you draw the line??? Fuck outta here....

I declare war on any man who stands up for Bucky Larson and/or Jack and Jill. That's almost like funneling money into terrorism. I'm going to equate it as such. WHY ARE YOU SUPPORTING TERRORISM? 

I saw the first one, because friends made me watch it (thankfully on DVD and not in the cinema) and it was horrible.

I like comedies and I like harmless lightweight family movies, but this was just shit.

I do wish Grown Ups 2 was in the Summer Blockbuster poll, though, so we would have had to decide between this one and After Earth as the last spot on the RT list.

I declare war on any man who stands up for Bucky Larson and/or Jack and Jill. That's almost like funneling money into terrorism. I'm going to equate it as such. WHY ARE YOU SUPPORTING TERRORISM? 

I....can't support Bucky Larson or Jack and Jill, so I'll agree with you there.

Rippa, I'd answer you, but you have a habit of banning me for little things so.....it's your world.

I haven't seen it, but I haven't gotten the impression that Pacific Rim is a deep, complex movie. I don't think that angle holds weight.  I always thought it was going to be a visually impressive film with big robots and heavy special effects.  The plot? Save the world.  Done.

I haven't seen it, but I haven't gotten the impression that Pacific Rim is a deep, complex movie. I don't think that angle holds weight.  I always thought it was going to be a visually impressive film with big robots and heavy special effects.  The plot? Save the world.  Done.

The only thing deep about Pacific Rim is the underlying subplot revolving around competition (father/son, the scientists, brothers, the Jaeger pilots). That's about it.