DVDVR Message Board

The Box Office Thread

EVA

FWIW, despite my $9.50, Lee Daniel's The Butler kicked the ever-living shit out of Kick-Ass 2 Friday.

Butler did an estimated $8,328,000.  KA2 only did $5,810,000.  Not good for Kick-Ass 2, which probably won't even hit the 19 and change the first one did.  According to various reports, the reason the sequel got made is because the first movie sold unexpectedly well on dvd and blu-ray, far above what is normal for a film that does roughly 40 million domestic.  This probably kills any realistic chance at Kick-Ass 3 being made, unless the blu-ray sales are absolutely insane for it.

EDIT:  Oh, and jObs was all the way down in 6th place for the day.

Having worked in a Borders during the late 90s/early 00s, I am all too familiar of the power of the Oprah endorsement.

It was horrible when she would plug a book on her show and we had no warning and dozens of people would come in asking for said book that day.

All of this Oprah hate just makes me want to go home and watch the Pregnant Oprah skit from Chappelle's Show.

The schmaltz of the marketing campaign is pretty annoying but Forrest mother fucking Whitaker is in this.  Ghost Dog, idi Amin, Charles "By God" Jefferson from Fast Times at Ridgemont High goddammit.

All of this Oprah hate just makes me want to go home and watch the Pregnant Oprah skit from Chappelle's Show.

The schmaltz of the marketing campaign is pretty annoying but Forrest mother fucking Whitaker is in this.

Honestly, I am not a big fan of these type of movies. Not particularly because of black people always being the help, but goddamn if directors don't try to crib Forrest Gump and/or try to jam decades of American history into two hours. J. Edgar suffered from this kinda. It can be done, but the whole plot has to be compelling enough to make the characters bearable and reasonably accurate.

:lol: I knew you were joking Burgundy.. My issue is with people who have an issue with me and others having issues with Oprah.

It's absurd that someone would think I have "women issues" because I dislike Oprah. When have I ever thrown any kind of shade on ANY woman other than Oprah?  I even like Amanda Bynes. I hope she's doing much better.

:lol: I knew you were joking Burgundy.. My issue is with people who have an issue with me and others having issues with Oprah.

It's absurd that someone would think I have "women issues" because I dislike Oprah. When have I ever thrown any kind of shade on ANY woman other than Oprah?  I even like Amanda Bynes. I hope she's doing much better.

Please continue to use emoticons to help illustrate your position.  That will put us all at ease, or at least help me know that my sarcasm was understood. :)

The Butler did a very solid 25 million.  Beyond that, we had a bit of new movie bloodbath this weekend.

We're The Millers and Elysium both held off the other new releases.  Kick-Ass 2 did just 13,568,000 estimated (it could end up ahead of Elysium when the final numbers come out, as that did 13,600,000) and finished a pretty ugly 4th.  jObs, in the meantime, also finished behind Planes and the new Percy Jackson film.  Ouch.

Yeah, it's had no marketing presence that I've noticed.  So, hey, it might even turn a small profit in the long run, but for being on over 2,000 screens, under 7 million is bowling shoe ugly.