DVDVR Message Board

The Box Office Thread

EVA

It's a popular Christian urban legend about a professor whose dedicated his class to proving there is no god if there was he would stop this piece of chalk from breaking when he throws it on the ground blah blah blah kid chauffeured him after many years, he losses his grip on the chalk, it tools down his clothes and land gently on the ground, prof runs out of the room, kid witnesses to the whole class.

I think it allegedly happened at Stanford.

You forgot to log in as Phantom Lord.

Nah, I forgot that typing anything more than two sentences on my phone will lead to massive fuck ups.

Also: if this is the first day of classes, surely he could've DROPPED the class without any adverse consequences. Further, forcing students to sign such a document would be grounds for dismissal, regardless of tenure. And again, there's about 1,000 other prerequisite philosophers before Nietzsche: Plato, Aristotle, Kant, Descartes, Hegel, Spinoza.

Totally self-serving piece of celluoid to convince the right that all college professors are godless heathen fascists. In my experiences, only the first 2 adjectives generally applied.

What are you talking about? I can totally buy that in lawsuit-crazy, and overwhelmingly Christian, America a professor could get away with pressuring a student to write "God is Dead" on a piece of paper and then trashing them when they refuse! 

In front of hundreds of witnesses no less.

You'd think in front of those hundreds of witnesses, one of those uptight students who is going for the 4.0 would ask "Uh, professor, when Nietszche refers to philosophers before him, which ones is he talking about?" "You mean you didn't cover the categorical imperative in 11th grade gym??? GOD IS DEAD~!"

I wholly approve and completely endorse an impartial, unbiased media, but I REALLY hate it when they address certain issues as "Pro-this" or "Anti-that." Not every argument has two sides. You're not "pro-evolution" anymore than you're "pro-gravity," a person either accepts a fact or they don't. When the media frames an issue in for-or-against terms, it implies a certain probability that either side could be right. There's zero reason to give a group of people in 2014 any credence for factually inaccurate positions, even if the opposite side of the "argument" infringes on their "religious beliefs."

/end

• Like 2

There's zero reason to give a group of people in 2014 any credence for factually inaccurate positions, even if the opposite side of the "argument" infringes on their "religious beliefs."

/end

There is one reason.  $$$$$.

There are no justifiable reasons.  But there is one reason.  As long as a few million idiots will give someone their money in exchange for cheap programming that confirms their delusions, someone will take it.

There was a time when "serious" journalism defined itself as being the people who don't take that money and make due with the slightly harder to get at pile of money somewhere else.  But that time has passed.  And easy $$$ is easy $$$.

• Like 2

I don't mind people doing religious movies to celebrate their faith, and yeah there is a market for it, but I do object to how laughably bad the premise for God's Not Dead is.

Yes, folks. Hercules is really going to stomp on your beliefs while twirling his curly moustache. And only you and chubby Superman can stop him.

Why don't they do a movie about this dude?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moses_the_Black

He was a murderer and robber who converted to Christianity, but still kicked ass when neccessary. Basically, like a real life version of Jules from Pulp Fiction.

Attacked by a group of robbers in his desert cell, Moses fought back, overpowered the intruders, and dragged them to the chapel where the other monks were at prayer. He told the brothers that he didn't think it Christian to hurt the robbers and asked what he should do with them. The overwhelmed robbers repented, were converted, and themselves joined the community.[4]

Fuck God is Dead

I want to about how Muppets Most Wanted only made $16.5 million

Okay - "only" is a little stretch but it still was way down from the original's opening weekend

I wasn't that surprised. The ads looked like it had completely lost what made the last one special. This one looked more in line with the exact sort of movies that killed the franchise in the first place.

Also, Ricky Gervais is a big step down from Jason Segal.

Wait, so assuming he teaches this class every semester, God's winning percentage in this is 0.025?

DID NO ONE LEARN ANYTHING ABOUT CHAOS THEORY WHEN THE WATER DROP CHANGED?????????

05656556.jpg

GODDAMMIT TINY VARIATIONS THE ORIENTATIONOF THE HAIRS ON YUR HAND

THE AMOUNT OF BLOOD DISTEDNING IN YOUR VESSELS

MICROSCOPIC FUCKING IMPERFECTIONS IN THE SKIN

• Like 2

Why would God have any interest in the gravitational pull on chalk? Now, maybe had the prof tied up the class president and doused them in gasoline, I could see the need for intervention. But chalk?

Well, he/she/it apparently doesn't have any interest in other bullshit, like the constant murdering of innocents in Africa and other travesties, so that only leaves menial crap like a fucking piece of chalk.

However, you'd think God would let the chalk break to teach something about economics or to look at things glass half full like, in that now two people can use the same piece of chalk...

and then moments later their class is obliterated by a comet named wormwood or some such bullshit.

Also, Ricky Gervais is a big step down from Jason Segal.

Is he really? Seems like such an odd thing to read...It isn't as if Segal has had the best movie career (Forgetting Sarah Marshall and The Muppets are both really fucking awesome though, with FSM being one of my all time favorites), but there is How I Met Your Mother.