DVDVR Message Board

WWE TV - 1/3 - 1/9/2022

Dolfan in NYC

Raw is apparently running with a "skeleton crew" due to multiple COVID outbreaks.  New champ Brock Lesnar should begin the road to the Rumble. 

NXT 2.0 runs New Years' Evil, with the North American & Cruiserweight titles being unified under the NA name.

Smackdown will (probably) feature Nakamura defending the IC title against Sami Zayn.  

9 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Raw is apparently running with a "skeleton crew" due to multiple COVID outbreaks.  New champ Brock Lesnar should begin the road to the Rumble. 

So three Matt Riddle segments and a 60-min AJ-Omos broadway?  Sorry I'll miss it.  Going to football game.

Edited by Tarheel Moneghetti

Brock is kicking off the show

They are also having a 4-way with everyone in the title match Saturday not named Brock. Clearly Bobby Lashley is winning that and theoretically KO would lose the fall but who knows.

Also supposedly happening

The AJ Styles vs Omos match that was supposed to happen last week and Damien Priest vs Dolph Ziggler is a US Title match

The Rhea Ripley/Nikki ASH vsZelina/Carmella tag match was in a three way tie for first in the Monday RAWElevation Women's Wrestling BLOKK!  It was about as good as the Rhio/Valentina Rossi and Megan Bayne/Leila Grey squashes.  So congratulations!

• Like 1

Getting Brock Lesnar vs. Bobby Lashley at the Royal Rumble probably means Lesnar/Reigns at WrestleMania. I'd have saved Lesnar/Lashley for WrestleMania, rare you get a first time one on one. Glad Lesnar/Lashley is finally happening.

I've missed Alexa Bliss. Hated her last two incarnations though first with the Fiend and then Fiend-Lite/Lilly with how both came about.

Edited by The Natural

13 minutes ago, DEAN said:

The Rhea Ripley/Nikki ASH vsZelina/Carmella tag match was in a three way tie for first in the Monday RAWElevation Women's Wrestling BLOKK!  It was about as good as the Rhio/Valentina Rossi and Megan Bayne/Leila Grey squashes.  So congratulations!

Was it just me or did this match have extreme Partners Turn On Each Other After Losing energy.  

I mean I figure it's only a matter of time before Rhea sends Nikki back to the indies, but they're really telegraphing this.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Was it just me or did this match have extreme Partners Turn On Each Other After Losing energy.  

I mean I figure it's only a matter of time before Rhea sends Nikki back to the indies, but they're really telegraphing this.

As soon as a I saw Nikki trip, my brain jumped to, "She'll be fired by Friday."

1 hour ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

I know Omos is supposed to be some super athlete, but god damn, do I just not see it yet.  

He's got the size and physical power. But mentally he looked clueless a few times during the match. When they were tied up in the corner I swear I saw him ask AJ "what do i do next". The crowd turned on him at the end of the match.

Glad to see Bobby won. I've been waiting for this match for years with him and Brock.

Opening promo was solid. Still have no real interest in Roman/Brock so I would be happy if they just left it alone though I assume its just been moved to Wrestlemania.

Dug what i caught of Alpha Academy murdering RKBro.

The Becky/Bianca/Live segment was decent. Looking forward to the triple threat.

The Miv/Maryse & Edge/Beth segment was decent. Dug the stuff between Maryse and Beth. Hopefully the match at the RR is fun.

Omos/Styles was alright with AJ making everything Omos did look like death. 

The 4-way was good and I asume what we were supposed to get Saturday. Wish Lashley/Lesnar was saved for Wrestlemania. Will hopefully be fun at worst come RR.

1 hour ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

I know Omos is supposed to be some super athlete, but god damn, do I just not see it yet.  

Omos is supposed to be a super athlete? I only recall them mentioning his size. His execution is fine, but the dude moves so slow. Kind of surprised he is a former basketball player.

I don't follow WWE storylines week to week, what's up with blowing off AJ and Omos on tv in a squash?  And at the same time programming him against some NXT scrub?  He's one of the few credible top guys they have left, and in Vince's mind these are important spots......but it's not doing him any favours

I guess we'll see how bulletproof he is if they try to turn around and push him as a main eventer again after all this.  It's easily the worst he's been booked in WWE, right?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ExcellenceofAirPollution said:

I don't follow WWE storylines week to week, what's up with blowing off AJ and Omos on tv in a squash?  And at the same time programming him against some NXT scrub?  He's one of the few credible top guys they have left, and in Vince's mind these are important spots......but it's not doing him any favours

I guess we'll see how bulletproof he is if they try to turn around and push him as a main eventer again after all this.  It's easily the worst he's been booked in WWE, right?

The scrub in NXT is the most over heel there, Omos is a monster, and they seemed to want to avoid a longer term program that could expose Omos. All that said, they really should have had that scrub interfere to give AJ some protection.

• Like 1

FWIW, Meltzer thinks the WM plans are still the same for both word title matches.  Lesnar vs. Roman is the SD match.  Dave's not sure what the Raw feud will be, but was told it was the same feud they were planning a week ago.  Just a different route to get there.  My takeaway is that Brock will have a short run as Raw champ.  Dave's comments seem to imply that it won't be champion vs. champion and Brock won't be part of the Raw match.

If I had to guess...... Roman costs Brock the title at RR, Big E wins the belt back from Lashley at WM.  Not a terrible way to go.

Brock's going to confront Roman on Raw, so they're at least hoping Roman will be back in time for Friday.

9 hours ago, Eivion said:

The scrub in NXT is the most over heel there ...

Is he actually over, or does WWE just want him to be over? I haven't watched NXT since Gargano and O'Reilly left.

58 minutes ago, Dog said:

Is he actually over, or does WWE just want him to be over? I haven't watched NXT since Gargano and O'Reilly left.

He is hated by the NXT crowd and even the main roster audience gave him a good deals of boos when he showed up on Raw.

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 1

I'm all for them reducing the number of titles so I am in favor of this merging.

The Cruiserweight Classic was fun as hell. But the absolute second the cruiserweights debuted on Raw it was dead in the water. Just like the original Light Heavyweight Division. Putting the same restrictions on them as everyone else just makes them the smaller guys doing the same thing as everyone else. The investment of having the new cable ropes and separate canvases is probably the only thing that made that division last so long on the main roster. Sunken cost they were bullish on having to eat.

WWE just isn't able to pull off separate weight classes. It involves too much internal logic / a set of rules that can't just be arbitrarily thrown out.