DVDVR Message Board

2022 TV Discussion Thread

RIPPA

Watched Tokyo Vice's first episode and it was, of course, really good. Having read the book more than once it's fun to see the similarities and changes. It feels incredibly dense (maybe that's just all the damn people crowded in on each other. There's no way I could live in Tokyo. No way.) and has a lot of subtitles, so it's not for everyone, especially if you just want a basic entertainment because this one forces you to keep up. You actually are learning along with Jake-san the whole time, watching this. 

Spoiler

Because the guy set himself on fire I bet they scratched out the part in the book where the kid electrocuted himself by reading the suicide manual and instead decided this was the way to go. It makes sense to do a suicide in public instead of in private in that regard. 

2 hours ago, EVA said:

Yeah, I’ve tried 3 episodes of WINNING TIME, and it’s just not for me. Even beyond the McKay-ness of it all, which irks me, I agree with Kareem that the characters are all one-dimensional cartoons, and I don’t care about any of it.

Anyone who expected this to be an accurate representation of the LA Lakers Showtime years was kidding themselves.  It is a caricature at best.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

Anyone who expected this to be an accurate representation of the LA Lakers Showtime years was kidding themselves.  It is a caricature at best.

That is easy for us to say

Try telling that to an 83 year old man who has been portrayed as an angry drunk

• Like 2

At this point in the series, the "one note portrayal" argument doesn't really hold water for the characters in Winning Time. In the first couple of episodes, maybe, but the last 2-3 episodes have gone to great lengths to show growth for Kareem, Magic, West, Buss and Riley.

Magic is struggling with being kind of of a people pleaser, and wanting to be seen as a "good man".

Kareem is bearing the burden of leadership and being an old dog trying to learn new tricks, both on the court and off.

West's anger was driven by his own constant failure, and he's really just a dude now that cares way too much about the team.

The show is fucking great, as long as you don't think it's a documentary.

22 hours ago, RIPPA said:

That is easy for us to say

Try telling that to an 83 year old man who has been portrayed as an angry drunk

Angry is putting it lightly. Last character I've seen on screen who was this much of a volcano of rage was probably Olyphant on Deadwood.

Full Trailer for The Staircase

As a reminder

The Staircase stars Oscar winner Colin Firth as Michael (Peterson) and acclaimed actress Toni Collette as Kathleen (Peterson), Michael Stuhlbarg, Juliette Binoche, Dane DeHaan, Olivia DeJonge, Rosemarie DeWitt, Tim Guinee, Patrick Schwarzenegger, Sophie Turner, Odessa Young, Parker Posey, and Vincent Vermignon.

I watched the Celtics episode last night and as soon as I say Larry Bird walking down the hall spitting his chew into an empty Budweiser can I figured a little creative license had been taken. The thing that throws me off a bit is the graininess of some scenes.

As if Tokyo Vice swerving me on a Yakuza finger cutting scene not once but twice wan't enough... the end of S3E1 of Barry was so tense, for any other show that would've been a season finake!

James

Dude, that first episode of Barry season 3. Holy crap. That is definitely not the direction I expected things to go in...

Spoiler

Barry has lost his mind.

Barry is doing hits for people on the dark web.

Fuches is hiding out in Chechnya.

NoHo Hank and Cristobal are a cute couple.

The LAPD and FBI are onto the massacre at the temple, but seem to think Fuches is responsible.

They've also cleared Barry.

Sally somehow made it onto multiple series and continues being the most stereotypical person that's out in Hollywood.

To go along with that, Sally is so into her own shit that she doesn't even notice that Barry has lost his mind.

Mr. Cousineau closed up shop.

And D'Arcy Carden's character is now Sally's personal assistant.

That all is a ton to digest. Then you throw the ending on top of that and, man, I have no idea where this series is going to go from here. I really don't want to see this ending with Barry in prison or dying, but it's going to be nearly impossible to avoid either of those outcomes given how crazy he is and the position he's put Cousineau in.

• Like 1

Yeah, I agree with James.   The first episode of Barry S3 is about as chock full of stuff as the season finale of another show would be.

Edited by J.T.

HBOMAX is killing it lately. Between Barry, Julia, Tokyo Vice, Winning Time and now We Own This City my viewing time is mostly spent there inbetween new episodes of Picard on Paramount and Moon Knight on D+(because I apparently loathe my existence).

James

We Own This City is an immediate watch. It'll make you want to throw something through the window and applaud at the same time... though that is also some of the Wire fan coming out in me, admittedly. When you see Jamie Hector and it takes you a beat to recognize him is where that part comes in. 

52 minutes ago, J.T. said:

It's We Built This City, brah.

Yes but now you won't be able to sing the song and not think of Jon Bernthal jamming out that song. I remember when I was working at Marvel, the Bullpen had a poll for the  worst song ever recorded and "We Built This City" was the winner by far!

James

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, elizium said:

TBS/TNT have officially shut down their scripted TV departments.

Paul Scheer even tweeted that he had an unannounced show that he is no longer sure the status of.

Hopefully they move Snowpiercer to Max but I won't hold my breath. 

For the record - per Variety (who is the one who broke the story) - it is only for NEW programs and existing ones it is status quo (at least for now)

The WarnerMedia-run cable channels is no longer developing new scripted content, three sources close to the matter tell Variety. According to one insider, Warner Bros. Discovery leadership is currently evaluating the strategy for all of the so-called “TNets” — including truTV, which are run by Brett Weitz — and will have a better idea of the role each will play within the new regime moving forward.

It is unclear what will happen to TBS and TNT’s current slate of scripted programming, but for the moment, it is apparently status quo for returning series like “Snowpiercer.”

The current existing programming is as follows

TBS

• The Last OG (4th season ended Oct 2021)
  • Miracle Workers (3rd season ended July 2021, 4th season ordered in Nov)
  • Chad (1st season ended Summer 2021)
  • American Dad (was renewed for 2 more seasons in Dec 2021)

TNT

• Animal Kingdom (final season ends in June)
  • Snowpiercer

If Discovery handles this the way NBCUniversal handled their move away from scripted programming on USA, then most likely everything that’s already in production will get to finish out their current contract, but nothing is getting renewed.

So I would expect season 4 to be it for Snowpiercer.