DVDVR Message Board

2022 TV Discussion Thread

RIPPA

I don’t recall this being discussed here earlier this month, so I thought I’d bring up the news that Mike Flanagan has secured the rights to THE DARK TOWER series and is developing it as a TV series. Seems like an absolute best case scenario, as Flanagan seems to “get” King in a way that few filmmakers ever have and TDT is far better suited for TV than film.

Flanagan hasn’t sold the series to anyone yet, but he recently moved his production deal from Netflix to Amazon, so it wouldn’t surprise me if that’s where it ends up. Which, again, seems like a best case scenario seeing as how quick with the hook Netflix is and how unstable HBO has become. Conversely, Amazon seems more than willing to make big ticket, long-term investments in genre shows like LOTR and THE BOYS.

If Flanagan can’t get this right, we should probably just give up on adapting TDT forever.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Contentious C said:

I decided to watch The Witcher: Blood Origin because I'm the rare person who actually liked both seasons of the main show so far.

But this is just...stinky bad. So so bad.

This is disappointing to hear though it saves me time so thanks.

5 hours ago, EVA said:

I don’t recall this being discussed here earlier this month, so I thought I’d bring up the news that Mike Flanagan has secured the rights to THE DARK TOWER series and is developing it as a TV series. Seems like an absolute best case scenario, as Flanagan seems to “get” King in a way that few filmmakers ever have and TDT is far better suited for TV than film.

Flanagan hasn’t sold the series to anyone yet, but he recently moved his production deal from Netflix to Amazon, so it wouldn’t surprise me if that’s where it ends up. Which, again, seems like a best case scenario seeing as how quick with the hook Netflix is and how unstable HBO has become. Conversely, Amazon seems more than willing to make big ticket, long-term investments in genre shows like LOTR and THE BOYS.

If Flanagan can’t get this right, we should probably just give up on adapting TDT forever.

Mike is 2 for 2 as far as King adaptations go.  I think if anyone can get TDT right it's Mike, but he's got a tall order coming up getting Netflix's The Fall of the House of Usher off of the ground.

The problem with TDT saga is that you could practically spend the next eight years of your career adapting it for television.  It will be just as sweeping as Game of Thrones, if not more so.  That's a lot of time and effort devoted to one show and King aficionados will be waiting to pick at any little thing.

Edited by J.T.

The first episode of the new season of Letterkenny was maybe the most DVDVR shit ever. It’s like they pulled a storyline from the early years of the board. @DEAN should watch it just to weigh in on the chip discussion.

And btw, All Dressed > Ketchup

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

The first episode of the new season of Letterkenny was maybe the most DVDVR shit ever. It’s like they pulled a storyline from the early years of the board. @DEAN should watch it just to weigh in on the chip discussion.

And btw, All Dressed > Ketchup

Binged the whole season last night.
BTW Vinegar & Water>>>>>Catshitchips.

Vinegar and water, as in a cleaning solution? Do you mean vinegar and salt, because I’ll accept that too.

And it would be even better if someone would make malt vinegar and salt chips like what fish and chips taste like.

On 12/29/2022 at 6:12 PM, Craig H said:

Vinegar and water, as in a cleaning solution? Do you mean vinegar and salt, because I’ll accept that too.

And it would be even better if someone would make malt vinegar and salt chips like what fish and chips taste like.

Vinegar & Water as in chips perfect for a Summer's Eve. As in eating douche flavored chips would be preferable to eating Ketchips. Not being a fan of ketchup/catsup skews my decision just a slight bit.

Utz Kettle-Cooked Maui BBQ Flavored is the king of all potato chips.

I have no opinion on ketchup other than the fact that I prefer normal French fries plain with almost no salt but will drown steak fries and waffle fries in ketchup, and they must be seasoned with either Old Bay or Lawry's Seasoned Salt to the point of instantly killing you with one bite..

Edited by J.T.

• RIPPA locked and unpinned this topic