DVDVR Message Board

2022 TV Discussion Thread

RIPPA

On 12/14/2022 at 8:25 AM, odessasteps said:

I had no idea there was a Warrior Nun TV show based on the comic. 

(I can't get to page 2 of the comic tv show folder to see if there's a misc show thread or not). 

Warrior Nun, Glass Onion, and Cyberpunk:  Edgerunners are three of the reasons I haven't cancelled Netflix.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

On 12/1/2022 at 4:57 PM, Raziel said:

.That and that there seems to be one persistant casting director at the Mouse that's still trying really hard to make Erin Kellyman a thing.

Kellyman has this alluring look to her, but she has the emotional range of a wooden stick.  You want her to be good, but she isn't,

On 12/10/2022 at 4:15 PM, Control said:

Watched the first couple of episodes of WILLOW. The acting is ghastly and the storyline is trite, but it has Warwick Davies and Tony Revolori, so 6/10 at least, and I’ll keep watching.

I think I am done.   This doesn't feel so much like a revival as it does an exploitation of nostalgia.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

On 12/13/2022 at 4:21 AM, John from Cincinnati said:

Westworld is among the shows being pulled from HBO Max. If something that big is on the chopping block, things I like are definitely getting thrown into a black hole at some point.

May need to get Luck on disc...

Glad I got to see season 1.

The only thing keeping me out of Ghost of Tsushima right now (besides my ever-present watching of cruddy movies) is We Own the City.  I've had it a bit with Simon's "information dump disguising itself as dialogue" methodology, but otherwise...nothing else quite like this stuff.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Contentious C said:

The only thing keeping me out of Ghost of Tsushima right now (besides my ever-present watching of cruddy movies) is We Own the City.  I've had it a bit with Simon's "information dump disguising itself as dialogue" methodology, but otherwise...nothing else quite like this stuff.

I was not the biggest fan of We Own This City. I liked a lot of it but the jumping in time was a little much for me. But it led me to check out the book, which is really great. 

9 hours ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

It's so wonderful that ABC still shows The Sound Of Music once a year at Christmas time. I'm watching it right now and I feel like I'm 8 years old .

Watching The Song of Bernadette on FX is our new Christmas tradition.  That and the DieHard / Lethal Weapon double feature.

I love We Own This City but I'm a noted Simon stan. Watching Jon Bernthal slowly break down is awesome. I didn't know there was a book about the story either, have to check that out! 

George and Tammy didn't have me at the start with that very uncomfortable dinner scene, but the second episode locked me in. No toe-sucking (watch the Mike Judge doc on them), which is probably for best, but we are definitely getting George driving in circles in his cul-de-sac drinking a bottle of Jack.

EDIT: Also check out the Colbert with Michael Shannon. He is such a low key, weird ass dude yet is somehow also an excellent musician (well, no surprise there) as well as an actor. Just hearing him speak in a normal tone is... strange.

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

I take it the proposed Fox production of a Neuromancer movie directed by Tim Miller is now vapor.  I was kinda hoping they were going to pull the trigger on casting Zendaya as Molly Millions.

The Peripheral is not that bad.  Like most Gibson tales and stuff based on Gibson tales, the story is top notch, but the character development is a bit muddled.

Miles Teller is too cherubic to play haggard and drug addicted Henry Case.  I think he'd be awesome as Peter Riviera, though.   I'd hire Christian Bale to play Case since he is willing and able to transform himself into death warmed over in order to fit a certain role.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2