DVDVR Message Board

2022 TV Discussion Thread

RIPPA

7 hours ago, J.H. said:

Not sure where talk about Willow is going but I will say that I don't hate it so far. I mean, it could be worse right?

James

I'm not sure how I feel overall about it outside of pulling ye olde Lucasfilm "the heroes of the stuff we're sequeling forgot all the stuff they learned in the first place and let everything go to shit again" now trope.  That and that there seems to be one persistant casting director at the Mouse that's still trying really hard to make Erin Kellyman a thing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Oh thank god.  

Matt Lucas has announced he's leaving the Great British Bake Off.  

Good. Now get rid of the other one and give Sue and Mel a ton of that Netflix money to come back.

My wife, daughter, and me started watching the first two seasons because they're on the Roku channel for free and man, the contrast between Sue/Mel and Matt/Noel is stark. I forgot just how good Sue and Mel were.

• Like 1

I'm still not sure how I feel about Willow's use of modern day dialogue and use of modern music in the end credits...

But that might be one of the most effective uses of Enter Sandman I've seen.

His Dark Materials fucking rules. I'm honestly shocked that it looks like they're going to pull this off and no one is going to notice. This is going to be a series where years from now someone will make a list of best TV series that no one watched and HDM is going to be on it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Raziel said:

I'm still not sure how I feel about Willow's use of modern day dialogue and use of modern music in the end credits...

The wife was convinced that it was inspired by Britannia, which I know no one here watches but which is the most batshit out there genre show this side of Legion. But the creators said that it was inspired by that one episode of Game of Thrones where Jaime loses his hand and then it cuts to a modern song in the credits.

On 12/7/2022 at 10:19 AM, Craig H said:

His Dark Materials fucking rules. I'm honestly shocked that it looks like they're going to pull this off and no one is going to notice. This is going to be a series where years from now someone will make a list of best TV series that no one watched and HDM is going to be on it.

I caught the S3 catch up block on Sunday.  I think the show is a bit too good.  Everything has so much weight and seems really important.  There are few light moments where you can take a breath and mentally process everything you just saw and there is a lot of information to mentally tag and keep track of in the wake of S2 where the show really hit its stride.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I didnt realize it had started already. 

Yeah. First two episodes went up on Monday night. Not sure how many episodes total this final season will be, but the first two episodes were pretty big. My daughter turned to my wife and me and was like,

Spoiler

"Wait, is he talking about going to war against god?"

And we were like, yep, that's exactly what he's doing. Her jaw dropped. I almost feel bad because we were going to have her read the third book before watching this season, but we thought, eh, it's the holidays, let's have fun.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Craig H said:

I really liked the first season a lot. My daughter started not liking it. She has a thing about seeing little kids in peril that she just can't handle. I need to talk her back into this show. She's a couple years older now and might like it more.

1 minute ago, Log said:

I really liked the first season a lot. My daughter started not liking it. She has a thing about seeing little kids in peril that she just can't handle. I need to talk her back into this show. She's a couple years older now and might like it more.

Yeah, that ending of the first season is going to be really hard on kids. My daughter is still sad about that ending.