DVDVR Message Board

2022 TV Discussion Thread

RIPPA

1 hour ago, EVA said:

Wow, there’s a name I haven’t thought about in a while. VINYL bombing really did a number on his career. From naming his projects on HBO to minding the shop for Taylor Sheridan on Paramount.

Vinyl was good! That "you're not supposed to know this guy's dead but you find out he's dead at the end" episode was horrid and should be mocked though. I think HBO and everyone involved really overestimated the interest in a show about a 1970's record label.

1 hour ago, Mister TV said:

Vinyl was good! That "you're not supposed to know this guy's dead but you find out he's dead at the end" episode was horrid and should be mocked though. I think HBO and everyone involved really overestimated the interest in a show about a 1970's record label.

Honestly, I don't think the concept was the problem as much as it was focused on all the wrong people.  Nobody like music, because of the people at the label.  If you are going to make this show, it has to be about the music first and foremost, and then add all the label shit from there.  With that said, that's a much harder show to make, because you need a musician who is both a talented enough musician to make the audience buy into them, and a great actor to carry the show.  

I'm trying to think of where Taylor Sheridan lost me. Sicario is a masterpiece and one of the best movies I've ever seen. It had to have been some time after Sicario 2 came out. It wasn't necessarily that movie that did it, but I think it was more or less his demeanor in general and I was just like, oh, so he's like country Chuck Palahniuk. And since then it has felt like he's been catering to a very specific audience that I'm not part of. 

I had to Google him to see what he looks like and all I could think when I saw his pic is "I didn't know Ron Perlman and Marky Mark had a baby". Turns out he's also responsible for "Mayor of Kingstown", which is pretty hit and miss at first but picks up a bit towards the end. Looks like he enjoys cosplaying as a cowboy quite a bit.

You know, if you are A.) Using fraud to secure millions in bank loans B.) Severely underreporting your income to the IRS and C.) In the process of defaulting on said fraudulent loans... Maybe agreeing to a reality show filmed inside your mansion, about how rich you are, isn't the best idea.

Edited by Brian Fowler
  • Haha 5

On 11/23/2022 at 10:30 PM, odessasteps said:

I totally remember this from my childhood. We ALWAYS had either WGN or WTTW on and, I want to say I was at my babysitter's house when it happened. She turned the TV off. I can't remember what was on TV, but knowing them, if it was WGN that was on then it was Andy Griffith or something like that. If it was WTTW it was probably a cooking show.

As a child of 70s and 80s, lots of pbs watching: from electric company and 321 contact to mystery to this old house to that music video show that also taught things like adverbs and such. 

edit: Colorsounds.

Edited by odessasteps
  • Like 1

On 11/25/2022 at 7:32 PM, Execproducer said:

The only thing I ever watched on PBS as a kid was Lilias, Yoga and You.  Namaste, Lilias, wherever you are.

My brother had a ginormous crush on Ginny Ortiz, the actress that played Trini on 321 Contact, so we were honor bound to tune in.

Lilias, Yoga and You came on next.  I always found the music and lighting intriguing as a youth and it did not hurt that Lilias was a beautiful contortionist clad in a skintight leotard.

Our PBS station also ran Doctor Who, Blake's 7, and Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy on Saturday evenings.  Between the morning cartoons from the Big 3 and British sci-fi, my brother and I were glued to the television set from dawn til dusk.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Lilias, Yoga and You came on next.  I always found the music and lighting intriguing as a youth and it did not hurt that Lilias was a beautiful contortionist clad in a skintight leotard.

My younger sister and I watched together though for very different reasons. For 9 or 10 year-old me Lilias was very exotic. Just the kind of woman I'd spend the rest of my life falling in love with. Excuse me now while I go settle down.

• Haha 1