DVDVR Message Board

2022 TV Discussion Thread

RIPPA

Okay, the additions of Keith David and Paget Brewster to Community late in the series has made the show good again. I mean, it should have ended awhile ago, but those two having chemistry with the rest of the cast is filling the Glover & Chase sized hole.

I know he’s an asshole in real life apparently, but Chevy Chase was really good on this show and he’s missed. I didn’t like Glover’s Troy at all, but it was cool seeing him do something that isn’t Atlanta since that’s all I had ever seen him in. Abed is more tolerable now that Troy is gone, so that’s a plus too.

• Like 1

We watched the first two episodes of Inside Man on Netflix and I’m livid about how agonizingly stupid David Tennant’s character has to be to make the plot function. Stanley Tucci is wonderful and I like the logical conclusion of decades of flawed but uber competent tv characters (my wife and I call it “…but he’s a good cop/lawyer/doctor!”) leading to show about a Holmes-derived detective who’s a convicted murderer on death row.

That said, none of the mystery stuff so far has been as clever as the show believes it to be.  Half of it is a goofy but fun tour de force from Tucci and the Tennant halves  are about frustratingly idiotic people doing things that don’t make a lick of sense unless you need a crime to happen for your prestige mystery miniseries.

Plus whoever puts this show together and decided to use a tepid cover of God’s Gonna Cut You Down as a music cue half a dozen times in each episode can run on for a long time, but they suck. 

If you didn't have enough reasons to dislike Perry after keanugate, he's actually waaaay shittier it seems 

starting to remind me of the one UFC guy matt something, was such an evil shit in his autobiography too. GSP's rival for a time, I think he fought Royce too at one point?

my point being, forgive the rambling, that these motherfuckers aren't doing themselves favors with these autobiographies imo just unsympathetic as hell

• Like 2

I would never read that idiot's book but these nuggets keep popping up in my news feed. Bad enough that he wished death on Reeves and called Heath Ledger and River Phoenix geniuses merely so he could elevate himself by association, but then he had to try and embarrass Salma Hayek and Valerie Bertinelli. To paraphrase @The Natural, fuck Matthew Perry.   

Edited by Execproducer
  • Thanks 1

George & Tammy

Michael Shannon = George Jones

Jessica Chastain = Tammy Wynette

Also stars Steve Zahn, Kelly McCormack, Walton Goggins, Pat Healy, David Wilson Barnes, and Katy Mixon

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

George & Tammy

Michael Shannon = George Jones

Jessica Chastain = Tammy Wynette

Also stars Steve Zahn, Kelly McCormack, Walton Goggins, Pat Healy, David Wilson Barnes, and Katy Mixon

Haven't watched the trailer yet, but I'm hoping Goggins is playing Baby Billy in this.

• Haha 2

Weird that they cast a show about a guy whose eyes were disturbingly close together and picked a guy whose eyes are disturbingly far apart. (Especially if Goggins was going to be cast at all - he looks a ton more like Jones)

Edited by Contentious C
  • Like 1

Programming alert: As part of Jeopardy's Tournament of Champions presentation this year, tonight will be an exhibition match between the three "super champions" who got first-round byes: Amy Schneider, Matt Amodio, and Mattea Roach (2nd, 3rd, and 5th all-time consecutive game winners). Should be good.

Edited by John from Cincinnati
alter alert

1 hour ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Programming alter: As part of Jeopardy's Tournament of Champions presentation this year, tonight will be an exhibition match between the three "super champions" who got first-round byes: Amy Schneider, Matt Amodio, and Mattea Roach (2nd, 3rd, and 5th all-time consecutive game winners). Should be good.

My wife and I were taken aback by how excited we were when we heard this announcement last night.

We are so old.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Add Gears of War to the list of TV series based on video games

Netflix has the rights

So, 2-3 seasons and will only slightly resemble the source materiel?

Gears of War seems like it would be as expensive or even more expensive to make than a Halo series. Halo at least had better source material to pull from that Paramount+ didn't feel very compelled to use. I'm sure the same will be true for Gears.

Rippa, I watched the pilot of Yellowstone and found it too long and very boring. I watched 1883 and really enjoyed it because Tim McGraw trumps Kevin Costner. Also watched the first episode of Tulsa King and it's very promising. That being said, Taylor who?

I wrote up some thoughts on season 1 of YELLOWSTONE and 1883 a few months back. Since then, I’ve kept watching the mothership, and I’m about halfway through season 3 now. It’s still not very good, but the way it’s not very good is kind of fascinating and I just can’t look away. If you want to see what it looks like when a studio gives a fairly mediocre writer $100 million to just make it up as he goes along with no input from anyone else, this is a great case study.

That said, I’ve grown to understand it’s appeal to so many people.

First—and I said this last time I talked about the show, but it seems even more true after that recent Atlantic story where Sheridan walked back his Trump criticism, indicating a keen awareness of who his audience is—it continues to fill that niche of “badass white guys doing badass things” that SONS OF ANARCHY left vacant.

Secondly, and I think this might be its secret weapon: Despite all the badassery aimed at males, It’s also SUPER soapy, which draws in female viewers. For instance, I think Beth Dutton is a fantastic character—and by that I mean she in no way resembles an actual human being that exists in reality. But a lot of women seem to identify with what she represents and are captivated by whatever she’s doing on the show. Likewise, the trials and tribulations of Jimmy the underdog ranch hand are easy things to get invested in. He draws great sympathy from women. I imagine this is one of the few scripted dramas that couples in Middle America watch together.

Ultimately, TV shows live and die, not by the exquisite quality of the writing, but rather by the answer to a simple question: Do people enjoy spending time in this world with these characters? And a lot of people seem to enjoy hanging out in Montana with these badass white people.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, driver said:

Rippa, I watched the pilot of Yellowstone and found it too long and very boring. I watched 1883 and really enjoyed it because Tim McGraw trumps Kevin Costner. Also watched the first episode of Tulsa King and it's very promising. That being said, Taylor who?

Tulsa King was ok but it's another old white baby boomer fantasy show, with that said it has a killer cast and Terence Winter is running things so I'll watch next week.

Never watched Yellowstone or even knew what it was about until last week or so, I straight up thought it was a show about Park Rangers or something.