DVDVR Message Board

2022 TV Discussion Thread

RIPPA

‘The Bad News Bears’ Comedy Series With Female Lead In Works At CBS – Deadline

CBS announces it's working on a TV version of "The Bad News Bears," which would itself be a remake of a show that aired 40+ years ago.

The first TV version aired on Nickelodeon constantly in the 80s (usually paired with "Camp Runamuck") -- didn't mind that version as a kid, as Jack Warden made a great Coach Buttermaker.

19 hours ago, colonial said:

CBS announces it's working on a TV version of "The Bad News Bears," which would itself be a remake of a show that aired 40+ years ago.

The first TV version aired on Nickelodeon constantly in the 80s (usually paired with "Camp Runamuck") -- didn't mind that version as a kid, as Jack Warden made a great Coach Buttermaker.

I'm not one of those weirdos that gets mad when a role is made female or non-white, but goddamn would a BNB series with Danny McBride as Buttermaker be amazing.

Maybe just a new season of Eastbound and Down where he coaches little league?

I don’t really think the world needs more weird, self-destructive drug addicts who don’t care about their lives and loved ones to get help.  I don’t think drug addicts should be idolized or romanticized in general.  Sure, Phoenix and Ledger were talented and maybe even had a particular strain of “genius”, but so do a lot of people who manage to channel their talents in more productive ways.  Those guys chose not to do that.  What might have happened if things had played out different is irrelevant.  They didn’t play out differently.  If I could sing, I might have been the next Elvis.  Since I can’t sing, the shoulda-woulda-coulda is moot.

In general, we tend to romanticize celebrities who die young.  It’s the James Dean effect,  they don’t live long enough to disappoint us on-screen.  Heath Ledgers would probably be less fondly regarded after he made a Garfield movie or six.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, colonial said:

In the CBS version, a down-on-her-luck divorced mom coaches a team of misfits in a cutthroat Little League. Isn't this basically the same plot as the Mighty Ducks re-boot show? The original Bad News Bears is way more complex than most people realize, go back and watch it! 

Because the first Bad News Bears tv show was such a wild success along with the tv series version of House Calls?

Why not make tv shows of everything Walter Matthau has ever made?

Hopscotch Mondays at 9 followed by Charlie Varrick at 10

Tuesdays stay tuned for Pelham123 THE SERIES!

James 

Edited by J.H.

I just finished Season 4 of The Sinner. That's one of my favorite police procedurals. Bill Pullman is a great detective with a messed up personal life. Season 4 wasn't as good as the first or second seasons, which are wonderful and completely slept on in the Peak TV era. But I liked it better than Season 3 since the villains and mysteries were so much more compelling. 

They could make a show based on that movie where Matthau is a slob and Jack Lemmon is a neat freak. 

You could gender swap that or race swap that. Heck, you could even do it as a cartoon with a dog and cat. 

Edited by odessasteps
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, Greggulator said:

I just finished Season 4 of The Sinner. That's one of my favorite police procedurals. Bill Pullman is a great detective with a messed up personal life. Season 4 wasn't as good as the first or second seasons, which are wonderful and completely slept on in the Peak TV era. But I liked it better than Season 3 since the villains and mysteries were so much more compelling. 

I really loved the first and second seasons. Three didn’t really work for me. But I felt like USA didn’t promote the final season at all. I’m a fan of the show and had no idea that it had come and gone until it popped up on my Netflix recs a couple weeks ago.

Just now watching Community, and I’ve blazed through almost all of it in a week. I think I’m in the middle of Season 5. Troy and Pierce were never my favorite characters or anything, but they’re definitely missed in the group dynamic. Jonathan Banks is awesome, but he’s not a good replacement.

Seasons 1-3 are fantastic, everything after it kind of doesn’t stack up. For me, it’s a good show, but it’s not quite at 30 Rock or Parks & Rec or Arrested Development (pre-Netflix) levels.

• Like 2

Avenue 5 is back! I was surprised to even see this pop up on HBO without any promotion, which makes me think that there won't be a third season. The first episode of the second season was pretty funny.

4 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Rhea Seahorn showed up in a fake trailer on Colbert last night and I SWORE it was Renee until they put her name on the screen. 

The whole bit was to great. Colbert led a couple of kids (maybe 8-ish) through the "process" to come up with a "script" for a horror movie. Then they took that script and made a trailer out of it. Words cannot describe the thing, so see for yourself:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Craig H said:

Avenue 5 is back! I was surprised to even see this pop up on HBO without any promotion, which makes me think that there won't be a third season. The first episode of the second season was pretty funny.

Avenue 5 is weird. By itself it is fine, but you would never guess that this was written by the same guy who created The Thick of It and Veep. I guess I am mostly still watching it because the name Armando Iannucci somehow makes me think that eventually this will turn into a great show. I mean they have the talent there but so far it rarely went past "good enough to not quit it for good".

1 hour ago, Robert s said:

The whole bit was to great. Colbert led a couple of kids (maybe 8-ish) through the "process" to come up with a "script" for a horror movie. Then they took that script and made a trailer out of it. Words cannot describe the thing, so see for yourself:

I was with them until Imagine Dragons.