DVDVR Message Board

2022 TV Discussion Thread

RIPPA

Kenny Boy is a great example of what the show does so well. There's a potentially one-note character (the white guy who thinks he's "got Native blood") and they make him a whole person. And then they do that with EVERY SINGLE CHARACTER on the show! It's really an incredible achievement.

The Ringer's The Watch podcast had an interview with Sterling Harjo last week. Very much worth a listen if you get a chance.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

I'm much more concerned about the words "Mexican Week on [Great British] Bake Off" than I am by Twitter's choices.

(The correct answer is burritos btw)

I'd rather choose one of my kids to give up, but yeah, probably burritos for me, too.

• Like 1

Episode 3 of Bake Off this season was maybe the grossest one ever. I sat there in pure disgust at the showstopper round with everyone's cakes filled with fish. I get that they all love fish there, but holy shit, cake a fish don't mix. Janusz doing the fish and chips cake nearly made me gag. Fish and chips, awesome. Especially if you can find a place that will give you bits with it (those are the beer batter crumbs). But putting soggy fish and chips and mushy peas in cake loaded with tartar sauce? Dude. That's revolting. 

I'm in fear at what happens with Mexican Week, which yeah, sounds poorly named. Probably the showstopper is going to be a trifle straight out of that episode of Friends where there's a layer of ground beef.

I think the answer would probably have to be whichever one of them came first, which probably led to the rest of them. Like we know how nachos came about and that shit would have happened sometime anyway, same with burritos. It has to be tacos, right? 

That sounds very jumbled and like I'm arguing two points at once but I'm keeping it that way haha

Edited by Curt McGirt

2 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

I'm much more concerned about the words "Mexican Week on [Great British] Bake Off" than I am by Twitter's choices.

(The correct answer is burritos btw)

That's a beautiful unicorn of a burrito.  I need to find a place that makes burritos like that, where everything is mixed.  If you bisect a burrito from any place I get them (Chipotle, Qdoba, California Tortilla) you'd have perfect, distinct sections of ingredients and it just sucks.  Nothing like getting full bite of cold guac, and wondering where your meat is, only to get a mouthful of chicken, and nothing else, further down.  The kind of burrito that you pull from the bag and one side is ice cold, while the other side is hot.  The first burrito place that decides to mix everything in a bowl first before decanting it to a tortilla will get my money for the rest of my life.

17 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

That's a beautiful unicorn of a burrito.  I need to find a place that makes burritos like that, where everything is mixed.  If you bisect a burrito from any place I get them (Chipotle, Qdoba, California Tortilla) you'd have perfect, distinct sections of ingredients and it just sucks.  Nothing like getting full bite of cold guac, and wondering where your meat is, only to get a mouthful of chicken, and nothing else, further down.  The kind of burrito that you pull from the bag and one side is ice cold, while the other side is hot.  The first burrito place that decides to mix everything in a bowl first before decanting it to a tortilla will get my money for the rest of my life.

This makes me happy we have a bunch of locally owned Mexican restaurants in town with one making the best burrito I've ever had that wasn't made in LA. The burrito winds up being the size of your head and is enough for two meals, but it's awesome. Anyone that could make that on the show deserves a handshake.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Craig H said:

This makes me happy we have a bunch of locally owned Mexican restaurants in town with one making the best burrito I've ever had that wasn't made in LA. The burrito winds up being the size of your head and is enough for two meals, but it's awesome. Anyone that could make that on the show deserves a handshake.

Thanks for reminding me that 1) there IS a locally owned shop relatively close to me and I need to try their burritos (I've only had their tortas so far, and they're amazing) and 2) my county is 20% Latino so maybe I need to get off my ass and look around for better places!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Technico Support said:

What you want is Panchero's, whose whole deal is that they mix up your burrito ingredients with a little spatula before they roll it up.  It kind of sucks if you get takeout, though, since you end up with a burrito full of lukewarm, undifferentiated glop.

They also make their tortillas fresh when you order, which is pretty nice.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

What you want is Panchero's, whose whole deal is that they mix up your burrito ingredients with a little spatula before they roll it up.  It kind of sucks if you get takeout, though, since you end up with a burrito full of lukewarm, undifferentiated glop.

They also make their tortillas fresh when you order, which is pretty nice.

That's awesome!  If only the closest one to me wasn't two and a half hours away, near Philly.  Maybe next time I go to corporate HQ.

Yep, sexualizing kid’s cartoons is a great step forward for humanity.  So awesome.  Hopefully next year, we can get that very special episode of Speed Buggy where Speedy gives Tinker a blow job.

Edited by madl

Mexico Week may just be the worst Bake Off idea ever. Never, ever, ever ever ever ever ever, has a fucking TACO with carne asada needed that much overthinking. In fact, by trying to perfect the taco that much and talking about bullshit about how the shell shouldn't crack and blah blah blah just ruins the taco. Just make a fucking taco. Food trucks do it perfectly. Small taquerias in bad neighborhoods do it perfectly. Fucking Taco Bell of all places does it just good enough if you've had enough alcohol. 

Bake me cool looking cakes, pies, and breads you fucks and stay away from my favorite food. YOU'RE FUCKING IT UP.

And no, the shell doesn't need to stay together. A corn tortilla from a bag of 50 of em thrown onto a griddle or plancha to warm up just enough is good enough. Part of the fun is trying to get the taco filling into your mouth before it falls apart and even if it does fall apart, you have finger food for yourself. 

Peeeko day gallow. Christ. The fuck are they doing?

This upsets me more than it should. And yes, Sue and Mel would never and Sue and Mel forever.

I'm asking this as someone who has enjoyed all the recent Velma cosplay that has been around the internet the last few years.  She's always been a lesbian, right? I've never in my life watched Scooby-Doo and thought that Velma was interested in men. Don't get me wrong,  as a kid,  I didn't assume she was a lesbian,  but as I got older she would have been my #1 pick in the lesbian cartoon draft. I want you to imagine what a lesbian aunt looks like,  I bet you the picture in your mind and Velma have some similarities. Ain't shit changed in my mind,  get out here and live your best cartoon life,  Velma.