DVDVR Message Board

2022 TV Discussion Thread

RIPPA

On 9/26/2022 at 7:06 PM, tbarrie said:

"Greatest" is hard to define. But the introductory blurb on that article talks about "the most game-changing, side-splitting, tear-jerking, mind-blowing, world-building, genre-busting programs in television history". Star Trek unquestionably ticks four of those six boxes, and I'd argue it achieved side-splitting and tear-jerking at times too.

And even if some are more consistent when viewed out of context, ranking any other show in the franchise above the original would have been ridiculous.

It ticks boxes, but it also wasn't remotely on the level say Deep Space Nine or TNG. Considering other spin-off shows are on there then it kind of is ridiculous for TOS to be the only Star Trek there let alone ranked above other series in the franchise. It got things started, but other shows took things way further.

Your argument is like saying you can't put ESB above ANH for Star Wars.

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Eivion said:

It ticks boxes, but it also wasn't remotely on the level say Deep Space Nine or TNG. Considering other spin-off shows are on there then it kind of is ridiculous for TOS to be the only Star Trek there let alone ranked above other series in the franchise. It got things started, but other shows took things way further.

Your argument is like saying you can't put ESB above ANH for Star Wars.

The argument I was going for wasn't that spin-offs should never be ranked above the originals. It's certainly possible for a spin-off to be more innovative or groundbreaking than the show they're spun off from. But in my opinion the later Star Treks clearly aren't that, even if their episode-to-episode quality consistency was higher (and the Rolling Stone people acknowledged said superior consistency in their write-up, so it's not like they trashed TNG or DS9).

Your mileage may vary, of course.

2 hours ago, Raziel said:

And apparently Gillian Anderson is replacing GIllian Jacobs.

That’s got to be a typo. Article I saw mentioned Jacobs as one I’d the returning cast members.

edit:

Edited by madl
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Trevor Noah has announced this season of The Daily Show will be his last.  

Wonder who replaces him. I know people here hated him, but I always thought he did a solid job.

I think he's a tired host. Standing in Jon's footsteps was always gonna be hard but his skill as a comedian is primarily voices, specifically accents. When he got serious it was fine work, but I stopped watching regularly over the years. 

No idea what Fleabag is, and yes I read the British TV show thread.

EDIT: BTW, Roy Jones Jr. showed up on Colbert recently and just basically rolled over him in a display of new material. It was actually kind of shocking. Steve rolled with it and it ended up great. 

Edited by Curt McGirt

Looking at the program listings on Comedy Central and holy hell did they go in hard on the "just air long blocks of the same shows" programming philosophy. Guess that anything that could have landed on CC in the past is just directly dropped on Paramount+/etc instead.

The only original shows they have are Daily Show, things trying to sponge off of the Daily Show, and South Park reruns.

They kinda have to find someone to replace Trevor Noah more if they want to have anything on the network. Which maybe they'd prefer airing 15 year old episodes of South Park instead.

As for Noah, i'm sure that there's a lot of solid pre-Covid criticism, but the empty studio talk show stuff for like 2 years was just death as a format and the commercials i'd see for it didn't help.

• Like 1

They have launched exactly one new show since the reign of South Park reruns began that I can recall, and it's Charlemagne tha God's 1/2 hour after Daily Show. The only other things than South Park in their block are Futurama (which just started getting a bump all over them, FX or one of those other channels and CN which is a plus) and Friends. Think about that -- aside from paid infomercials, five shows on your network. 

Word is Roy Wood jr is the favorite to replace Trevor Noah, which if true, is fine with me.

As far as post-Daily Show attempts. I loved both Wilmore's show and Spade's show. Spade's ability to invite friends from SNL who just would bust his balls was gold (and impretty sure is why he and Carvey started Fly On The Wall)

James

Edited by J.H.
  • Like 2

I'm sure one of these entities with a streaming service could at least cluster their "content we can air but we can't stream" to fill out some of the schedules. Or they'll start contracting some of their channels and either putting 'new' stuff on other channels or giving up the channel like NBC did with NBC Sports.

Maybe the whole concept of bingewatching has made TV scheduling worse.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

As for Noah, i'm sure that there's a lot of solid pre-Covid criticism, but the empty studio talk show stuff for like 2 years was just death as a format and the commercials i'd see for it didn't help.

Oh man, just look at him in an empty studio vs. Colbert in an (almost) empty studio. Noah was like death and Colbert regained my viewing of him completely. I actually liked him BETTER with just him and Emmy holed up in a room above the Ed Sullivan. 

10 hours ago, Kuetsar said:

It hits the office pretty hard too.

Dammit, knew I was missing one.

On 9/29/2022 at 10:10 PM, Greggulator said:

Season 2 of Reservation Dogs is so much more beyond anything else I have seen in years on television. It’s up there with Friday Night Lights and The Wire and everything else. The Peak of Peak TV.

100%

It's hard to explain to people what makes this show so special. It may just be that you can feel how much the creators of this show love their characters.

We were on a visit to the in-laws this weekend. I thought I'd just pop down to the basement and watch the season finale while everyone was having breakfast/coffee. Was not expecting to have to pull myself together emotionally before I headed back upstairs. I should've expected it from this show. Don't know what I was thinking. That final scene was just so amazing.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Log said:

100%

It's hard to explain to people what makes this show so special. It may just be that you can feel how much the creators of this show love their characters.

We were on a visit to the in-laws this weekend. I thought I'd just pop down to the basement and watch the season finale while everyone was having breakfast/coffee. Was not expecting to have to pull myself together emotionally before I headed back upstairs. I should've expected it from this show. Don't know what I was thinking. That final scene was just so amazing.

10000000% agreed with that. 

No show has made me laugh as hard about the awkwardness of life since Freaks and Geeks. And no show has affected me emotionally through the ups and downs of the characters since Friday Night Lights. The thing that it really knows how to do is have the characters earn their moments. The final episode of Season 2 - we've been with them this whole way, and they finally go to where they wanted. 

I think a really huge part of the success of it is because the cast and writers and a lot of the production cast are indigenous. All of this just feels so incredibly accurate and specific. Getting the details right matters so much. I'll never know what it's like to live on a reservation, but I think I'm watching an accurate depiction of what life is like on one. 

Spoiler

Daniel being there for the hug at the end had me bawling my eyes out. 

• Like 2