DVDVR Message Board

2022 TV Discussion Thread

RIPPA

I saw an edited clip on Facebook or Reddit or something showing the main character of the following show as "Father of the Year" and it looked intriguing.  Looked it up on IMDB, was still intrigued and so I binged it on Hulu.

MR. INBETWEEN - Ray Shoesmith is a hitman for hire.  And also a loving father of an 8-year old girl.  The show's three seasons play out as Ray walks the line between being a (relatively) normal, loving father to his daughter, Brittany, and his life as a degenerate, ruthless criminal.  This is an odd one.  I can't say I loved the show yet I stuck with it through all of the episodes.  I can't say I was dying to know what would come next, I was just constantly intrigued - even though the show never really elevates itself.  The structure is rather odd as the episodes are mostly self-contained with not a ton of storylines running between episodes.  There's also plenty of mundane stuff in the show - multiple scenes of people brushing their teeth for some reason and numerous conversations on mundane topics.  These conversations are very realistic - they're just weird as time fillers in 25-minute episodes.  Where the show falls down is that Ray is waaaaaaay too active as a hitman. He wipes out a LOT of people in the course of the three seasons, rarely taking any precautions or caring much about evidence being left behind - which makes the few times he IS careful stick out.  He's also somewhat superhuman, walking unscathed away from multiple car accidents.  And yet... I kept watching.  Chika Yasamura is terrific as Ray's daughter and Scott Ryan is good as Ray while also writing the show.  The show is from Australia and the accents were brutal for the first few episodes until I got used to them and, for the first time I can ever remember, I ended up using closed captions for a show in English.  Along the way, I also picked up a bunch of Aussie slang.  So, do I recommend the show?  Well...yeah...but it's also disappointing.  I kept wishing for it to reach higher and be better yet I was never bored and ripped through all three seasons with no trouble.

Vince Gilligan's next TV show will be on Apple TV+

An untitled drama that will star Rhea Seahorn

“After fifteen years, I figured it was time to take a break from writing antiheroes … and who’s more heroic than the brilliant Rhea Seehorn? It’s long past time she had her own show, and I feel lucky to get to work on it with her,” Gilligan said in a statement.

No other details are known but some reports are saying the show will be like The Twilight Zone

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

It's a swerve; the show will turn out to be about Kim's adventures in Florida, winning cases for the little guy, selling sprinklers, and having domestic adventures with Mr. Yep Yep Yep.

Deadline is reporting they're seeking a budget of about $13.5 to $15 million per episode.

Gonna be a lot of sprinklers. 

Edited by John from Cincinnati
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

This is the most DVDVR poll list of all time

Without looking none of you would be able to guess what is #1

They must have updated the article because there's a different #1 now than when I looked earlier.

E: 

There it is.

Edited by Zimbra

2 hours ago, Zimbra said:

They must have updated the article because there's a different #1 now than when I looked earlier.

E: 

There it is.

Apparently it's still broken because it's got SNL at #18 and The West Wing at #46. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Kuetsar said:

What a shit show of a list.. . . . .

Me: "These lists are bullshit. They throw in a couple "controversial" picks to drive discussion and a couple new-ish things to seem relevant. They're not worth discussing, don't let them trick you into it!"

Also me: "WHY THE HELL IS [show I love] RANKED SO LOW, GODDAMMIT!"

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Trailer for The Last of Us

Inject this shit directly into my fucking veins. Let's GO.

Between this, Amazon doing Fallout, and Netflix doing Horizon Zero Dawn... Oh god, I just need all of those to be good and I'll be fuckin' set. Bonus points if the Netflix Bioshock movie happens, and is good.

• Like 1

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
3 hours ago, Log said:

Me: "These lists are bullshit. They throw in a couple "controversial" picks to drive discussion and a couple new-ish things to seem relevant. They're not worth discussing, don't let them trick you into it!"

Also me: "WHY THE HELL IS [show I love] RANKED SO LOW, GODDAMMIT!"

I DEMAND JUSTICE FOR THE GOOD PLACE.

*ahem*

I mean "I believe it is not appropriately ranked".

3 hours ago, Kuetsar said:

Star Trek being so high(even ranked at all, frankly) is just wrong. I'm actually watching TOS on Paramount right now, and its fine. . . .but not one of the best shows ever. The franchise? Sure. . . . .

"Greatest" is hard to define. But the introductory blurb on that article talks about "the most game-changing, side-splitting, tear-jerking, mind-blowing, world-building, genre-busting programs in television history". Star Trek unquestionably ticks four of those six boxes, and I'd argue it achieved side-splitting and tear-jerking at times too.

And even if some are more consistent when viewed out of context, ranking any other show in the franchise above the original would have been ridiculous.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1