DVDVR Message Board

2022 TV Discussion Thread

RIPPA

On 8/28/2022 at 2:46 PM, Execproducer said:

I'm torn. On the one hand, Elizabeth Daily. On the other hand, Valeria Golino.

I am solidly on Team Dotty... or is that Team SexHead?  I am not certain.

• Like 1

The Artie Lange Dark Side of Comedy was, as expected, brutal. Some of the MadTV peeps show up. Debra Wilson, who I didn't even recognize in prior episodes, now has a shaved head and a bunch of piercings and is INTENSE. Artie's story is basically a horror story; I had no idea his suicide attempt (the one they considered a suicide attempt, most of his life has been a suicide attempt) involved hacking away at himself with a knife and drinking fucking bleach. The awful cherry on top of all this is seeing Artie's nose nowadays... if you haven't seen it yet, you will be gobsmacked. Don't do drugs kids. 

Man I got some stuff to catch up with. What We Do In the Shadows just wrapped up. City on a Hill, I've missed multiple episodes of. Narco Wars is back on and covering some interesting stories. Did you know that fentanyl was invented by a Mexican dude working for the Sinaloa Cartel who wasn't even a chemist? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

The Artie Lange Dark Side of Comedy was, as expected, brutal. Some of the MadTV peeps show up. Debra Wilson, who I didn't even recognize in prior episodes, now has a shaved head and a bunch of piercings and is INTENSE. Artie's story is basically a horror story; I had no idea his suicide attempt (the one they considered a suicide attempt, most of his life has been a suicide attempt) involved hacking away at himself with a knife and drinking fucking bleach. The awful cherry on top of all this is seeing Artie's nose nowadays... if you haven't seen it yet, you will be gobsmacked. Don't do drugs kids. 

I caught a few min of this and was stunned by it.  I barely knew who Artie Lange was coming into the show and actually thought he was working steadily.

Honestly,  until last night, I thought Artie Lange played the dad on The Goldbergs.  Apparently, I’m confusing Artie Lange and Jeff Garlin.  

in my defense, I’ve never watched Mad TV or the Goldbergs and know next to nothing about Garlin or Lange.

Reservation Dogs is as good as advertised. Funny, bittersweet, tragic. The show has more heart than anything on television in years. Just a fantastic TV show that takes you into a world most of us are unfamiliar with (an Oklahoma Native American reservation ) and fills them with really vivid and fantastic characters. A+.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Greggulator said:

Reservation Dogs is as good as advertised. Funny, bittersweet, tragic. The show has more heart than anything on television in years. Just a fantastic TV show that takes you into a world most of us are unfamiliar with (an Oklahoma Native American reservation ) and fills them with really vivid and fantastic characters. A+.

I just can't get over how great this show is. It just has a vibe like nothing else. And, like you said, it has so much heart. This past week's Cheese-centric episode showed that. Just so much empathy for even characters who might be considered by some to be "bad" people.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Greggulator said:

Love the show. Marc Maron turning up randomly was awesome.

• Like 2

Binged the rest of What We Do In the Shadows just now. Hilarious as always. They seemed to have let the writers off the chain in this one because the whole season is full of F-bombs. Probably my favorite one was Go Flip Yourself which was a 100% accurate parody of HGTV/DIY (Magnolia) Network home renovation shows... so accurate it's creepy. The Sklar twins as the Property Brothers was the icing on the cake. Baron Afanas regaining his body and actual youth, with both Nadja and Laszlo immediately jumping his bones, was another high point. 

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Greggulator said:

Just about to come on and also talk about the genius of the Go Flip Yourself episode of What We Do In The Shadows. Might be Matt Berry’s finest work yet, which is saying something considering Jackie Daytona and everything he does pretty much.

And the IT Crowd episode where Victoria mysteriously re-appears.  "But Victoria!  You're deeeaaaaddd?"  Or when he was on trial.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Greggulator said:

Here's Matt Berry going record shopping. Begins with Zappa (ugh) but gets into Brian Ferry, Tennis and some other awesome stuff (including a rec from my guy Tom Scharpling.)

I only recently learned that Berry makes music, and its not comedy music. It's really, really good stuff! I'm just starting to dig in, but I love it.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Log said:

I only recently learned that Berry makes music, and its not comedy music. It's really, really good stuff! I'm just starting to dig in, but I love it.

He’s an excellent songwriter. All of the musical numbers in Toast of London are songs from his albums, and if you haven’t seen Toast of London yet, run do not walk, it’s the best. 

13 minutes ago, (BP) said:

He’s an excellent songwriter. All of the musical numbers in Toast of London are songs from his albums, and if you haven’t seen Toast of London yet, run do not walk, it’s the best. 

I was just checking IMDb to see where to watch it, but nothing. Any idea where it’s streaming?