DVDVR Message Board

2022 TV Discussion Thread

RIPPA

FX is killing it, between The Old Man  and The Bear, I'm got my 2 shows for the summer

I worked The Line for 15 years and the first episode of The Bear captured how crazy a restaurant in transition can be better than any other chef themed scripted TV show

James

Edited by J.H.
  • Like 1

On 6/21/2022 at 12:53 PM, Technico Support said:

Hoo boy I watched the first ep of The Boys season 3 and could not get into it.  Was it the long layoff?  It just felt like it was all grossness and shock value without the support of decent plot or writing.  Might watch the second episode to see if it gets better, but that first ep was meh.

Did you end up checking out the second ep? IMHO it really picks up there. 

15 hours ago, christopher.annino said:

Did you end up checking out the second ep? IMHO it really picks up there. 

I did!  I caught up with the latest episode last night.  It actually gets much better as they dial up the character work and plot,  and dial back the over the top aspects somewhat.  I like all the MAGA/Fox News satire and the Kendall Jenner Pepsi Commercial spoof was well done. 

I enjoy the little stuff, too, like how Vought has their hands in everything, including networks "Vought Soul" and "Voughtemundo."  And Soldier Boy's stuck in the 80's act.  "Where's the Chopsocky Oriental Sauce?"  "They discontinued that...for so many good reasons."

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 3

Watched all three available episodes of The Old Man and I love it.  Do check it out.  Very old-school action thriller vibe. 

I'm itching to start The Bear, but the wife wants to watch it too, so we have to coordinate.

So, my three shows I'm watching/trying to watch are The Old Man, The Boys and The Bear.  Surely there's a late-70's/early 80's movie called that, right?

• Like 1

Certainly a Bible chapter or two.  It doesn't end well.

Nine Perfect Strangers didn't really stick the resolution to an extent I would have liked.  A little too obvious.  And there are apparently hints here and there they're going to to do a second season, which has got to be the worst idea since True Detective Season 2.  But Melissa McCarthy is great - easily her best work along with Can You Ever Forgive Me?  And she works great with Bobby Cannavale.  The two of them alone told me enough about this to know it wasn't going to be straight drama or some kind of Lynchian mindfuck, either; there's just enough satire and black comedy to keep it interesting.  But, I liked it, aside from having to stare at What Nicole Kidman Did to Her Face for 8 episodes.

• Like 2

Been rewatching The West Wing again and my brain is trying to recall, was the gunman who shot and killed Secret Service Agent Martin Donovan ever caught?
I know he cuffed one of the robbers so I don't even know if that dude got away

James

I’m liking The Bear a lot, too. I thought the first half of the first episode was really lame but then it just clicked for me after that. I somehow never worked a kitchen job. My best friend though was a sous chef and the like at a bunch of high-end places and I know through him what a fucked up world that is and the rampant mental illness and addiction in that world. 

On 6/30/2022 at 7:26 PM, ohtani's jacket said:

I enjoyed Umbrella Academy S3 a lot, but the ending didn't exactly floor me. It left me wanting more, but not in a holy crap sort of way. 

i watched season one about a week ago and had somewhat the same reaction.  Really liked the show in spots and will probably watch season 2 sooner rather than later, but also may just skip it and not think about it any time soon.  I really enjoyed the show in spots (Hazel and Cha-Cha’ but never really cared too much about the family dynamic or the apocalypse plot, so when the Vanya stuff took center stage late in the season, my interest waned.

i mostly feel like I’ve seen too many emotionally unbalanced god-children in shows like this and Vanya didn’t offer anything new or different in season one.  What would been new and different was realizing that she was too dangerous to let loose with a power she couldn’t control and acting like an adult.  But instead we got an Ill-defined riff on Jean Grey.  I still am not sure what her intentions were at the end.  Just destroy everyone for the heck of it?  It was never clear if she had an actual endgame.  For that ,tater, I dunno what Leonard Peabody was trying to do beyond activate Vanya’s power and see if she went crazy.  Vanya mopes her way through the first handful of episodes, gets manipulated rather easily by a dude she falls in love with after knowing for a couple days, then turns her mopiness up to 12 because she has powers now?   I dunno.  I didn’t find anything new or interesting in her arc.  I had a bunch of niggling questions about Vanya too.  Like why an  otherwise Intelligent adult is still taking pills when she doesn’t seem to know whet they are for.  Or how she would even get new prescriptions a decade after she cut off contact with the family?  For that matter, I’m still not clear if the meds dampened her powers or kept her sane.

Anyway, those are small matters.  The big issue is I didn’t find Vanya interesting or well-drawn before she powered up and after she powered up, her only defining trait is she’s still sad and that wants to wreck shit.  Or something. 

The other thing I didn’t go for is the mainstream, low-budget approach to the show.   I haven’t read the comic the show is based on, but I have read quite a few reviews and thumbed through a few issues to see if I wanted to add it to my wantlist.  The comic seems to go more in on costumes and monsters and robots,  The show shies away from that in favor of having everybody wear street clothes and not use their powers too much.  Budget?  In this regard, the show reminded me of Agents of SHIELD, which isn’t a great comparison in my mind.  I laughed at the scene in the bowling alley where a family of superheroes fights off a trained hit squad by…. throwing bowling balls at them.

Anyway. S1 held my interest in spurts.  I’ll probably give season two a go later this summer, but I’m not sure I’ll make it to season three.  Killer soundtrack though.  Besides Hazel and Cha-Cha, the goofier music montages were probably my favorite part of the show.

Man, The Bear is just a perfect season of tv. I never rewatch seasons of tv, but I’m going to rewatch that one as soon as I can. I just love how it never quite goes where you think it’s going to go. 

• Like 1

Started watching The Old Man, sorry for the hot take but I don't get the love for it.

Spoiler

The whole 70+ year old white man kicking ass in movies and tv shows needs to stop, there were points in The Old Man where I was straight up laughing at how silly it was. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Mister TV said:

Started watching The Old Man, sorry for the hot take but I don't get the love for it.

Hide contents

The whole 70+ year old white man kicking ass in movies and tv shows needs to stop, there were points in The Old Man where I was straight up laughing at how silly it was. 

Why you hate Liam Neesons?

• Haha 2

On 7/7/2022 at 9:05 AM, Log said:

Man, The Bear is just a perfect season of tv. I never rewatch seasons of tv, but I’m going to rewatch that one as soon as I can. I just love how it never quite goes where you think it’s going to go. 

I started watching this last night at work and it's really good (only up to E6 I believe). Jeremy Allen White is really good, no surprise there, but other clear standouts are Ebon Moss-Bachrach, Ayo Edebiri and Lionel Boyce. I'm fucking shocked Lionel is as good as he is, because I only know him as being a hype man of sorts (along with directing music videos and shit) for Tyler the Creator's now defunct Odd Future collective.

I think the MVP of the show is Ayo Edebiri, though. Although I do love Matty Matheson as Fak!

Special shoutout to Joel McHale for being the dickhead chef that you immediately hate even though he's on screen for like two minutes.

Edited by Casey
  • Like 4