DVDVR Message Board

2022 TV Discussion Thread

RIPPA

Billy Crystal will star in a limited series on Apple called Before that will be directed by Barry Levinson

Crystal will star in the show as Eli, a child psychiatrist who recently lost his wife when he encounters a troubled young boy.

I'm finally getting through some of Dopesick.  The style is a bit too much "talk at you" to call it a great show, but it's certainly effective, despite Michael Stuhlbarg coming off as a bit over-the-top with how ghoulish he is.  One of the rare times where typically-creepjob-cast Peter Sarsgaard anchors the sections I look forward to the most...well, second-most, I mean Kaitlyn Dever is right there.

Does make me want to punch a hole through my TV just on basic principle, though. 

Edited by Contentious C

7 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

And there's still Deadwood right there... grrrrrrr

I STILL need to finish Deadwood! I watched most season 1 years ago but never finished it. Probably gonna need to start it over now.

Gonna watch The Old Man tonight after I give Moon Knight a try.

Hoo boy I watched the first ep of The Boys season 3 and could not get into it.  Was it the long layoff?  It just felt like it was all grossness and shock value without the support of decent plot or writing.  Might watch the second episode to see if it gets better, but that first ep was meh.

On 6/9/2022 at 12:39 AM, driver said:

Started The Offer. On the third episode and I am really enjoying this. Giovanni Ribisi is great as Joe Colombo(he bears a slight resemblance to Stephen Graham's Al Capone in Boardwalk Empire).

Started this yesterday and really enjoying it even though some of the dialogue is god awful. 

On 6/20/2022 at 7:02 PM, driver said:

Watched the first two episodes of The Old Man. If that traffic stop wasn't intense I don't know what was.

I watched episode one last night. Holy crap this is gonna be wild show! I’ll watch episode two tomorrow night.

Also watched the first episode of Moon Knight (yeah, I know I’m behind) and loved it!

• Like 1

Once you get past the first episode and trying to figure out where they are in Michigan(it seems like Kingstown is a stand-in for Saginaw(or somewhere else on the Lake Huron side)) it is pretty good, but some of the dialogue is really bad and Jeremy Renner is Jeremy Renner, so...YMMV.

Don't feel bad about being behind on Moon Knight. I'm finally giving it some priority. 

Edited by driver

8 hours ago, ohtani's jacket said:

Netflix sent me an e-mail saying Season 3 of Umbrella Academy is out. Enjoyed the first episode a lot. 

I did too. First 10 minutes were peak Umbrella Academy insanity.

Luther had the best line delivery in the history of the show with "Here you go. It's your ass" ??

• Like 2

On 6/21/2022 at 7:40 PM, driver said:

If you want some really bad dialogue check out Mayor of Kingstown.

This show needs a new name because I'm old and thought you were talking about Mare of Eastown... which only kinda sounds the same.