DVDVR Message Board

2022 TV Discussion Thread

RIPPA

27 minutes ago, Log said:

I'm curious.  How far into this season are you?

I will say this... when your only really likable character is NoHo Hank, when that was not necessarily true for previous seasons, you may have a problem.

I think people's expectations for Barry are skewed. It started off as a comedy and then when that moment happens during season 1, it starts to descend into darkness and become more of a drama. There are still some dark comedy elements, but I've looked at it as more and more of a drama than anything else. I've been enthralled this season with Barry losing his mind, Gene getting back into the good graces of Hollywood, and now Sally finally showing her true colors.

I had my friend who is an actor living in Hollywood watch Barry and he said Sally's character is the person he's seen the most in real life and they're all pieces of shit. The rest are folks like the guys Barry lives with.

So, yeah, it's short on likeable people, but man is it ever engaging. For me anyway. Plus, from episode to episode I literally have no idea what is going to happen next.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Matt D said:

I will say this... when your only really likable character is NoHo Hank, when that was not necessarily true for previous seasons, you may have a problem.

I just wondered how far in they were because I was feeling cold after the first couple episodes, but it’s really picked up, imo. 

Started The Offer. On the third episode and I am really enjoying this. Giovanni Ribisi is great as Joe Colombo(he bears a slight resemblance to Stephen Graham's Al Capone in Boardwalk Empire).

• Like 2

As a reminder - the Hulu series is not authorized by Mike Tyson (hence why it appears it will feature the bad stuff) and is being done by the folks who did I, Tonya

Tyson calls this one a "tone-deaf cultural misappropriation.” 

The one that is authorized by Tyson will have Jamie Foxx playing Iron Mike and will be directed by Antoine Fuqua (was originally supposed to be a movie but then was shopped to networks as a limited series. I am not sure if anyone acquired the rights yet and that was over a year ago so it might be dead.)

6 hours ago, RIPPA said:

As a reminder - the Hulu series is not authorized by Mike Tyson (hence why it appears it will feature the bad stuff) and is being done by the folks who did I, Tonya

Tyson calls this one a "tone-deaf cultural misappropriation.” 

The one that is authorized by Tyson will have Jamie Foxx playing Iron Mike and will be directed by Antoine Fuqua (was originally supposed to be a movie but then was shopped to networks as a limited series. I am not sure if anyone acquired the rights yet and that was over a year ago so it might be dead.)

Hollywood is so it if ideas that we've had multiple dueling sports stories in the same year. I'd watch a new Mike Tyson biopic every 3 years or so,  so I'm not really complaining,  but space them bitches out. Do they think there is a time limit on interest in Mike Tyson of all people? 

• Like 2

Highest recommendations on the HBO George Carlin two-parter. It reminded me of why and how much I have loved that man for many, many years; since watching Jammin' in New York with my parents in 1992 and rolling on the floor laughing at the dirty words, matter of fact. 

EDIT: Just remembered my dad's Carlin story. He met George in an airport back in the mid '90s. In lieu of something else he had George sign his airplane ticket, and dad told him "My wife's gonna shit". Carlin responds "Well, I hope she doesn't shit on your ticket!" 

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Haha 1

I didn't see this posted anywhere else... 

A LEAGUE OF THEIR OWN  

Starring Abbi Jacobson, D'Arcy Carden, Chante Adams, and Nick Offerman

Coming to Amazon Prime August 12

--

Definitely looks fun, but I'm more than a little curious how they're going to deal with all of those women of color they've put in this, as the AAGPBL was -- as MLB was -- segregated.   Guess we'll see.

• Like 1

BTW, season finale for Barry was really fucking shocking. In the season 3 retrospective, Bill Hader basically said that this season needed be the heavy to get to where they wanted to go and the jokes and humor would return to season 4. I don't know how you go beyond season 4 though especially with how this season ended. 

There's so many people I would nominate from this show for Emmys.

Also from the season 3 retrospective, Henry Winkler and Stephen Root both said this was probably the best work of their careers and probably the best thing either of them have ever worked on. Can't really disagree with that.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

I didn't see this posted anywhere else... 

A LEAGUE OF THEIR OWN  

Starring Abbi Jacobson, D'Arcy Carden, Chante Adams, and Nick Offerman

Coming to Amazon Prime August 12

--

Definitely looks fun, but I'm more than a little curious how they're going to deal with all of those women of color they've put in this, as the AAGPBL was -- as MLB was -- segregated.   Guess we'll see.

My gym teacher in elementary school was a former player for the South Bend Blue Sox named Betsy Joachim. As a matter of fact she was my mom and uncle's gym teacher as well. She is still alive and had to be 100.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, driver said:

My gym teacher in elementary school was a former player for the South Bend Blue Sox named Betsy Joachim. As a matter of fact she was my mom and uncle's gym teacher as well. She is still alive and had to be 100.

A former co-worker's grandma played for the South Bend Blue Sox as well.

Ms. Joachim taught at Muessel School  in South Bend from the dawn of time(or end of her baseball career) until 1982. I remember her as being tall, slim, dressed in sweats and quite crusty. Pretty sure her last year was the year I graduated 6th grade('82).