DVDVR Message Board

2022 TV Discussion Thread

RIPPA

Per Deadline - Jodie Foster will be the star of True Detective Season 4 (titled Night Country)

It will be Foster's first major scripted TV work since the 1970s

4 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Per Deadline - Jodie Foster will be the star of True Detective Season 4 (titled Night Country)

It will be Foster's first major scripted TV work since the 1970s

I rebuke this shameless IP mining.

I will watch this show, but it’s not True Detective if Nicky P. didnt write it and it’s not set in the rural South*.

*The awful LA season being the exception that definitively proves the rule.

Edited by EVA

I love Letterkenny, but I had my doubts about "Shorsey". 
Holy shit. It's fucking amazing. I love it and the soundtrack is awesome. I'm finishing it tonight in one binge. Great stuff.

Edit: I just finished it. "Shorsey" is one of the best shows out there and might be a candidate for best first season of a show in forever. It's just fantastic.

Edited by Johnny Sorrow

10 hours ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

I love Letterkenny, but I had my doubts about "Shorsey". 
Holy shit. It's fucking amazing. I love it and the soundtrack is awesome. I'm finishing it tonight in one binge. Great stuff.

Edit: I just finished it. "Shorsey" is one of the best shows out there and might be a candidate for best first season of a show in forever. It's just fantastic.

After watching Ob-Wan 1&2 I jumped right into Shoresy and fuck was it good! I like that it just wasn't a rehash of Letterkenny, and had a storyline for all 6 episodes. Just a really good 6 episodes with cool, fun characters.

James

• Like 1

Tim Robbins and Leslie Mann have both left Amazon's The Power series.

Both roles will be recast and reshoot.

Ironically, Robbins had joined the cast when Rainn Wilson was no longer able to do it because of the pandemic

Was wrecked for two weeks with a bug going around town,, so I was able to catch up on a bunch of shows

From: adaptation or original material, I don't know but I definitely enjoyed this show. The way we got characters developing and all, it was a great watch through and I'm excited for season 2?

Brand New Cherry Flavor: Also unfamiliar with the source material but damn I loved this one. They didn't really try for jump scares, they just legit creeped out at the  right spots and what looked to be old school effects made it extra fun! The body horror was tremendous and felt like an episode of Shameless or Ozark where everything just kept getting more and more fucked up as it went along.

Tokyo Vice: Binged it overnight when I was up coughing and sneezing the whole time. Liked the scenes with the mobsters but found myself bored with the lead. Overall kind of enjoyed it. 

Love, Death & Robots Season 3: Damn they went DARK on this season and I'm not just talking about the lighting choices for a few episodes. They went nihilistic and even the lighter fare like World War Z done right in 13 minutes or less was still pretty grim. Absolutely loved this season after the stinkers laid in season 2

Outer Range: Was really hating the series and how certain characters were rock solid one second and complete push overs the next. Didn’t find a reason to really care about anyone until the last couple minutes of the last episode and suddenly I'm hooked for another season 

• Like 1

We Own This City felt fairly anti-climactic, but then again we all knew what was gonna happen anyway. There was one surprise but I won't spoil it. The fun part is the reading of the sentences and the statements of what happened to the players... including the mayor and the police commissioner. 

They really did write this in a jumbled, scattershot way but it doesn't really have as much effect as if it was a mystery in any way what happens at the end. Kind of doing it just for the sake of doing it. Anyway, it's no Wire, but as a Wire Requiem of a sort it works. And it is as downbeat as you would expect. 

For those that want more Jon Bernthal

American Gigolo

Picks up 15 years after the movie ends

Bernthal is playing Julian Kaye (played by Richard Gere in the movie)

Series also has Gretchen Mol playing Michelle - the character that Lauren Hutton played in the movie

The Orville S3 started yesterday.  Looks like they got a massive effects budget boost.  And they did not fuck around going hard Subject right off the bat.

I liked the end to Under the Banner of Heaven but I wouldn't go so far as to call it great by any means, certainly good, though.  Although Andrew Garfield carried a lot of the earlier eps, the finale feels like it's more Gil Buckingham's show, which is a good thing.  And the ending is satisfying, particularly with the gas station scene.  I don't feel like the intra-family drama with Pyre paid off, though; it needed to pick a lane and follow through on its intentions.

S2 of Hacks was great. Super funny and emotional at times. And if that's it for the show (I haven't bothered to look if it is) then it's a fitting end in my mind. Not going to complain if there is another season, though. I adore Hannah Einbinder as Ava.

And I finished all three seasons of Hanna and it was... really good. And the final season wrapped things up nicely, I felt like each season was a good progression from the last. But it felt like the conclusion in the series finale came about way too soon, like it could have used a full episode order like the other seasons got. Not quite sure that I like the parental figure switch (trying to be vague because spoilers maybe) but in the end, it worked out. But it did feel really weird at first. I want to watch the movie now, since I just found out that Saoirse Ronan plays Hanna. I know the plot differs quite wildly, but it'll still be a good watch.

I'm trying to force myself to finish S2 of the Flight Attendant, but this storyline is doing nothing for me. And Barry is kind of weak for me this time around, too. Maybe it's because I really want to start Stranger Things over since I don't even remember what season I watched last and it's ending soon, so might as well just restart the whole thing.

• Like 1

NO MORE CHRISLEY KNOWS BEST!   

That being said, if they did a season where they were just prepping to go to Federal prison for what is quite possibly the rest of their lives, that would be absolute must watch television. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2